Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 am

Hello,

in the past month Jo Boschetti, a veteran openSUSE contributor, started collecting a lot of libre music-making software for GNU/Linux in a single repository on OBS (which is a mix between Github/Gitlab and Arch Linux’ AUR). I joined him after a while, we curated some of the software already available on openSUSE and packaged some that was missing.

That repository for free/libre and open source music-making software for openSUSE is now called Geekos DAW. It’s a bit like KXStudio, but for openSUSE Leap instead of Debian/Ubuntu. We decided to focus on Leap because it has a stable core and you can choose which programs you want to keep up to date (our repo is rolling).

We thank a lot of people, in particular all the developers of those programs and openSUSE, other openSUSE packagers (such as edogawa @ OBS), packagers on other distros (especially Arch Linux’s AUR), people who were helpful in many ways even if they don’t know it (rnbnc, falkTX, fundamental), and this forum for helping us figure out some stuff (such as how zyn-fusion works).

We hope Geekos DAW can help people make music on GNU/Linux without much hassle, and hope this can help GNU/Linux become more popular among musicians.

You can find a screenshot in the attachments, courtesy of Jo.


Website (with one-click install) · Issue tracker @ Github · OBS repository · Gitter chat room


Thank you for reading, all contributors are welcome! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Basslint on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:20 am

Great news! :)

bmarkham
Established Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby bmarkham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 pm

Wow! Awesome!

For a long time, SuSE was my distro of choice because everything in it just worked. To me, it was the BMW of Linux distros. But when it came to music making, KXStudio provided the same experience: everything worked out of the box.

Now, it seems you are combining those two worlds!

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby khz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:42 am

bmarkham wrote:For or a long time, SuSE was my distro of choice because everything in it just worked.

JAD (JackLab Audio Distribution) [The last version | Released: 1.0 | September 16, 2007] - https://archiveos.org/jad/ :-D

@Basslint \o\ T \0/ H \0/ X /o/
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

joboschetti
Established Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 am

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby joboschetti » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 pm

bmarkham wrote:Wow! Awesome!

For a long time, SuSE was my distro of choice because everything in it just worked. To me, it was the BMW of Linux distros. But when it came to music making, KXStudio provided the same experience: everything worked out of the box.

Now, it seems you are combining those two worlds!


I'm glad you like the idea of ​​the project

joboschetti
Established Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 am

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby joboschetti » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am

khz wrote:
bmarkham wrote:For or a long time, SuSE was my distro of choice because everything in it just worked.

JAD (JackLab Audio Distribution) [The last version | Released: 1.0 | September 16, 2007] - https://archiveos.org/jad/ :-D

@Basslint \o\ T \0/ H \0/ X /o/



Nice project! shame it's dated 2007 :(

Our project does not require a custom distribution, the necessary is the installation of the Pattern, together with the installation of the minimum packages. Furthermore from the Pattern list you have all the suggested software present in the repository :D ^ _ ^

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby khz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you so much for the time and work, that's great!
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Kott » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 am

Hi,

It's good and necessary project for openSUSE users ) May be it can be expanded to other distros on OBS.
Actually, I'd like to join as maintainer, for example to support TW builds. I have small repo (so got some expirience) https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:kill_it

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 am

Kott wrote:Hi,

It's good and necessary project for openSUSE users ) May be it can be expanded to other distros on OBS.
Actually, I'd like to join as maintainer, for example to support TW builds. I have small repo (so got some expirience) https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:kill_it


Hello, this is very good to hear! I'll send you a PM soon.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

icb
Established Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby icb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Has anyone tried this out yet? I use OpenSUSE for everything except audio production. I've been using AVLinux, but I really don't like the Debian experience and I've had enough of AVL. I was just thinking of trying to create a stripped down Leap 15.1 tuned for audio when I saw this...

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:50 pm

icb wrote:Has anyone tried this out yet? I use OpenSUSE for everything except audio production. I've been using AVLinux, but I really don't like the Debian experience and I've had enough of AVL. I was just thinking of trying to create a stripped down Leap 15.1 tuned for audio when I saw this...


Well, aside from Jo and I, we know that some people are using it but we'd hugely appreciate some feedback from people who come from other music distros!

If you already use Leap, give it a try. I can assure you it's stable, since most stuff is compiled against stable releases of libraries and we plan to give back to upstream too - this won't be a separated repo, our plan is for all our packages to eventually get into official openSUSE repos (which isn't too hard, by the way - you just have to adhere to a stricter .spec standard).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Kott » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:44 am

I've began to build some JUCE-apps/plugins in my repo https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... ll_it:JUCE , then they have been submitted to DAW repo.
These apps have published code, but it require efforts to users to compile and run:
Currently (and it's only openSUSE rpms currently):

https://github.com/Birch-san/juicysfplugin
https://github.com/ffAudio/Frequalizer
https://bitbucket.org/xenakios/paulstretchplugin
https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd I know it has official bundle, but let it be.

All them ALSA/Jack + VST.so
Please give a try:)

And if you know any project which you would like to be added - please tell!

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:40 am

Kott wrote:I've began to build some JUCE-apps/plugins in my repo https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... ll_it:JUCE , then they have been submitted to DAW repo.
These apps have published code, but it require efforts to users to compile and run:
Currently (and it's only openSUSE rpms currently):

https://github.com/Birch-san/juicysfplugin
https://github.com/ffAudio/Frequalizer
https://bitbucket.org/xenakios/paulstretchplugin
https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd I know it has official bundle, but let it be.

All them ALSA/Jack + VST.so
Please give a try:)

And if you know any project which you would like to be added - please tell!


Thanks kott, you are doing a lot of great work!

One thing, the offical repo is home:geekositalia:daw and not home:opensuseitalia:daw. We will delete the second one in the near future, we changed name to avoid trademark issues (SUSE is great with its community but we want to comply with the law 100%, that's why I am personally so strict with licenses and stuff). I already brought your changes to the other repo, no need to make other requests :D

I will soon open tickets for needed packages on our Github issue tracker.

We now have an official chat room on Gitter, I edited the original post of this thread. Feel free to join!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Gps
Established Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Gps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:02 am

OMG, does this mean I will have LMMS with Carla on openSUSE ? :D

I have had so many issues with both, because they weren't compiled right.

No wine support to name one thing. :)

I am currently working on a boogy woogy track.

The start is already there.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/boogiewoogie

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:14 am

Gps wrote:OMG, does this mean I will have LMMS with Carla on openSUSE ? :D

I have had so many issues with both, because they weren't compiled right.

No wine support to name one thing. :)

I am currently working on a boogy woogy track.

The start is already there.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/boogiewoogie


Let's say that LMMS is one of our most problematic packages, too :lol:

If you want to try openSUSE out, we will be glad to have a LMMS user to give us feedback and make a better package!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]


Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest