IMPORTANT NOTE: quoted text block fixed! (I have no knowledge of Debian package makings nor of ciphers from organizations that I'm not sure about! please re-read twice previous and subsequent posts for clarity. thanks)
No matter if you use Linux, macOS or Windows, all operating systems have bugs and will be attacked sooner or later. [/size] Linux is not more secure than other operating systems.
I remember making Debian packages that would 'phone home' when installed at a user computer. That was fun. This said, Linux is more secure that 'other operating systems' simply because the code is viewed by so many people. This does not mean that Linux is secure. It means that since there's no black box of code, there's no such thing as 'security by obscurity'. Although ...
This said again, it does not prevent something like the Speck cipher from the NSA to be inside the Linux kernel even though it was rejected by ISO for lack of technical details, but pushed into the Linux kernel by Google for the IoT support. It should be removed by 4.20 though. Not the first time. Another backdoored cipher made it into the Linux kernel some years ago, again by a government agency.
Thanks for this realism and cross-cultural context.
I am one of these types of musicians who gets affected by both sides of the coin:
0) Sometimes I just give up and quit computing and keep my archives somewhere near my body (but NOT inside!).
1) I dodge updates to stay secure because they are pretty much wide open doors to me with heavey traffic.
2) During other OS implementations of us, I implement updates to stay secure and try to then stay offline.
3) When doing pretty well, I utilise more than one platform for downloading and testing and usage; yet this is expensive and time-consuming and typically requires a lot of cooperation with other users for me to get good enough results.
* Culturally, this only works when this world is NOT engaged in multiple digital battles of FLACK against itself.
P.S.=This world seems to me to be ironically engaged currently in multiple battles of FLACK and ATTRITION against itself. This needs to stop ASAP.
Peace be with y'all