Good Linux instruments and plugins sources?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: Good Linux instruments and plugins sources?

Post by khz »

d.healey wrote:I've just setup a website where I'll be releasing GNU/Linux compatible instruments and effects.
Great! Is this your website https://librewave.com/?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

khz wrote:
d.healey wrote:I've just setup a website where I'll be releasing GNU/Linux compatible instruments and effects.
For 150 GBP? No thank you. :(
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

khz wrote:
Yes
khz wrote:For 150 GBP? No thank you. :(
It's lower cost than a lot of similar products, and probably the only one that is released under the GNU GPL.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:For 150 GBP? No thank you. :(
How else is he supposed to recoup the cost of contracting real orchestral players to record high quality samples? In this forum we've repeatedly had people grinding their gears about how doing virtual orchestration on Linux is nothing but an exercise in frustration.

Finally somebody is actually doing something about it: brand new recording and processing of orchestral instruments with multiple consistent velocity layers, round robin, release samples, and three mixable mic distances.

This is no hack job of scouring the internet for free samples, this is the real thing. Maybe I don't understand the value of GBP, but I know that people spend hundreds to thousands of USD on orchestral samples in proprietary formats.

I for one am going to support this project monetarily, even though I was already more or less content with a free woodwind collection that I was using. David is working on similar plugins for brass and strings, the latter really has me excited; David can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that his current plan involves divisi sections and many more articulations than the typical limited staccato, legato, tremolo, pizzicato that I have found in the free collections.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Michael Willis wrote:my understanding is that his current plan involves divisi sections and many more articulations than the typical limited staccato, legato, tremolo, pizzicato that I have found in the free collections.
Thanks for your support Michael.

My goal with all of my sample libraries is to make them playable in real-time, for this reason I avoid articulation switching through key switching or CCs and prefer to be able to create articulations through performance like a musician.

The strings pose a unique challenge in this regard as there are some elements that will definitely have to be key/cc switched or available as separate patches as there is no way to recreate them through clever scripting (at least not realistically). These include pizzicato, col legno, tremolo, bow changes, and divisi.

I haven't finalized my plan for recording yet but will do early next year before I begin but those elements I listed above will all be separate recorded "articulations".
David Healey
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

That's a very cool project if the Hise format allows quality playing, disk streaming and what we can expect from a modern sampler. Price is another question. In my view you should make a modest teaser in order to test the interface and behaviour of your plugins. Something like a recorder (flute), a toy piano, an ukulele. And give more content on the opening page of you site. :)
d.healey wrote:
Michael Willis wrote:my understanding is that his current plan involves divisi sections and many more articulations than the typical limited staccato, legato, tremolo, pizzicato that I have found in the free collections.
Thanks for your support Michael.

My goal with all of my sample libraries is to make them playable in real-time, for this reason I avoid articulation switching through key switching or CCs and prefer to be able to create articulations through performance like a musician.

The strings pose a unique challenge in this regard as there are some elements that will definitely have to be key/cc switched or available as separate patches as there is no way to recreate them through clever scripting (at least not realistically). These include pizzicato, col legno, tremolo, bow changes, and divisi.

I haven't finalized my plan for recording yet but will do early next year before I begin but those elements I listed above will all be separate recorded "articulations".
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

stanlea wrote:That's a very cool project if the Hise format allows quality playing, disk streaming and what we can expect from a modern sampler.
HISE does almost everything except time stretching (which should be included at some point).
And give more content on the opening page of you site. :)
Thanks for the feedback. What else do you think I should include? I have some videos and more demos on the way already.
Last edited by d.healey on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Healey
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

d.healey wrote:What else do you think I should include?
You're the owner of Xtant Audio, right? Maybe port some of the free/inexpensive offerings you have there.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Michael Willis wrote:
You're the owner of Xtant Audio, right? Maybe port some of the free/inexpensive offerings you have there.
I'll be transferring them all over to HISE at some point. In fact the celtic harp is almost complete.
David Healey
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Michael Willis wrote:
Just a disclaimer : "home of Librewave, a new set of sound libraries for music production for Win, Mac and Linux .... blah blah"
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote:https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/

I think nearly everything comes with format choices
including sf2 and sfz
Do their soundfonts contain multiple velocities for instruments & orhestras? Do they have pizzicato, stacato, etc?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

If you're not willing to pay 150 pounds for a good sample set you probably don't need it that badly ;-)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Michael Willis wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:For 150 GBP? No thank you. :(
How else is he supposed to recoup the cost of contracting real orchestral players to record high quality samples? In this forum we've repeatedly had people grinding their gears about how doing virtual orchestration on Linux is nothing but an exercise in frustration.

Finally somebody is actually doing something about it: brand new recording and processing of orchestral instruments with multiple consistent velocity layers, round robin, release samples, and three mixable mic distances.

This is no hack job of scouring the internet for free samples, this is the real thing. Maybe I don't understand the value of GBP, but I know that people spend hundreds to thousands of USD on orchestral samples in proprietary formats.

I for one am going to support this project monetarily, even though I was already more or less content with a free woodwind collection that I was using. David is working on similar plugins for brass and strings, the latter really has me excited; David can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that his current plan involves divisi sections and many more articulations than the typical limited staccato, legato, tremolo, pizzicato that I have found in the free collections.
I just don't like commercial advertisements in a forum, that's all.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

FWIW, personally I'm happy that there is work being done on an opensource modern sampler, and that there are samples appearing be they commercial or free.

Don't know if you've noticed, but at the bottom of every page of the forum there is nowdays a "hosting sponsored by MOD Devices GmbH" :)

Kidding apart, I'm all for libre but don't really mind when it's not gratis... And audio on Linux is in dire need of good orchestral samples...
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote:
Have you managed to get their UI's working on linux? Sforzando runs with wine, but drag'n'drop karoryfer xml did not work.
Now tried it again:
- Opening menu from 'instrument' can load sfz files or also Karoryfer provided xml files on their instruments.
- 32 bit VST works in lmms

Did not yet got it to Mixbus, but I suppose with carla/linvst/airwave it works.

Tried Karoryfer Scary Piano, Bigcat Cello and String Cyborgs, all seem to work ok.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM