Do I really need *all* the PPAs?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pseudonomous

Do I really need *all* the PPAs?

Post by pseudonomous »

Hello LinuxMusicians,

I'm trying to setup the ktxstudio repos on an ubuntu 18.04 system; previously I had things working OK on 16.04, but after updating I've had a lot of trouble with 2 applications that are really important to me crashing on startup:

Ardour (installed from the upstream binaries)
kdenlive (from the ubuntu repos)

These worked fine before enabling the kxstudio repos and trying to install some plugin collections (as well as the audio routing apps which are really the only apps I'm after in the application collection)

My theory is that the problem is due to library incompatibilities in kxstudio vs. the bionic repositories. Along this line I've been wondering about all the repos that end up getting enable when you grab and install the debs to setup the kxstudio repos as suggested here:

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

I end up with a huge collection of repos being enables, including a bunch of stuff that's labelled with previous ubuntu releases and debian-style releases.

Is this really supposed to happen? Is it safe? Is it sane?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. If you're wondering, I've given up on previous install because everything was so screwy it seemed hopeless to identify what ended up messing up my ability to run kdenlive and ardour. I'm currently trying to reinstall on top of Ubuntu 18.04 and this time I'm saving snapshots of my system along the way so I don't have to throw out all my work if I mess my system up again.
lilith
Established Member

Re: Do I really need *all* the PPAs?

Post by lilith »

I guess you are fine with the ppas. It might look odd, but it's the way it should be.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18707&hilit=Am+i+screwed
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I haven't noticed many libraries installed from kxstudio but you might want to report it as a bug here - https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues or post on the IRC channel.

As far as the huge collection of repos installed and previous releases this is normal. Kxstudio (as far as I know) still supports ubuntu 14, 16 and now 18 so there is a lot to be made available, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can/should install stuff from irrelevent sections.

Running these programs from a terminal might give a hint about what the issue is.

Unless I am missing something, the kdenlive version in the kxstudio launchpad repo looks to be quite old. It might be good to make sure you have the latest version installed https://kdenlive.org/en/download. The version from the regular ubuntu repo (which I imagine you have installed) is out of date as well.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

There's a size limit for ppa's. That's one of the reasons there are several ppa's needed.