AVLinux 2018 and UEFI

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: AVLinux 2018 and UEFI

Post by Jack Winter »

Maybe a torrent would be a good solution?
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
dillon
Established Member

Post by dillon »

Okay I have actually got a boot into the liveusb using uefi. Here’s what it looks like when I click on any of the boot options:
It’s just a black square over top the options.
After about two minutes it will actually boot into some kind of attempt to find the ‘live-rw’ Partition of the usb stick, however it never finds it. You can see that it will scan /dev/sda, sdb, sdc1. It never finds /sdc2 which is where the live-te partition is. I followed install instructions for unetbootin after gparted. I’ve used ext2 and ext3 for the second partition.
There’s got to be something I missed. Any ideas?
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

That was the problem with the official iso ,which iso did you use ?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Fresh ISO's are coming soon with the UEFI fixes found on korakios' custom ISO: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=4187.0
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Jack Winter wrote:Maybe a torrent would be a good solution?
We had a volunteer 3rd party torrent hosted previously but that person retired his server, my hosting doesn't allow torrents and I personally have enough on my plate these days, the bandwidth thing is a temporary issue that will be resolved once there are new 'official' ISO's on the regular AVL hosting at the end of June..
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

And thanks to @Gmaq officially is now live :D
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

PS. My previous links are non valid, since they are no longer needed 8)
Count
Established Member

Re: AVLinux 2018 and UEFI - a warning!

Post by Count »

Sorry, slightly off topic, but getting flashbacks to a week of UEFI nightmare I had when I tried to install KXStudio onto a brand new Lenovo laptop.

I've always had really good clean hardware install and experience with Lenovo and Linux distros. Also generally Dell and HP, and ASUS/Acer.

The problem I had was that I believe it is no longer necessary to provide the legacy boot option for MB manufacturers. So although I was able to disable fast boot, whatever it's called in Windows options, once in the (UEFI) BIOS the Boot options only allowed for a Windows recovery disc, and had no USB boot option. It took a week of googling and foruming (I found one other person who had the exact same issue) - EVERY single thread, instruction, everything, was telling us that we could enable legacy boot. Despite screen shots etc nobody would believe that we could not enable USB boot!

It took some going to find out that legacy boot was no longer a requirement 'and was basically down to manufacturer's choice'. Luckily I took it back before 7 days was up and got my money back.

I have since bought another (nearly new, but roughly the same age as the first one) Lenovo, and following the usual instructions it took 2 reboots to disable fast boot then enable legacy boot and switch to USB boot mode, then installed no problem.

It's something to look out for. I don't know how to tell which new models may have legacy boot removed. It is of course heralded under the banner of security, because it disables anybody being able to boot from USB, but it does seem to open a door to Microsoft to put a squeeze on Linux.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Wait, there are still distros that don't support UEFI boot?