AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sranauta
Established Member

Re: AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

Post by sranauta »

Looks like my last post did not get through.
I upgraded the repositories and Ardour and Carla as per instructions
But now the 32bit and 64 bit bridges for the vst scan in Carla have disappeared from Carla and Ardour does not find Carla as a plugin either :(
sranauta
Established Member

Re: AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

Post by sranauta »

Hello
Attaching installed list

Sorry I am a total newbie I will check out enabling the bridges

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-03-13_23-01-20.png
Screenshot_2018-03-13_23-01-20.png (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

OK After adding the bridges thru experimental optio Accordian VST works in stand alone Carla - thanks falkTX

I had to set Ardour to rescan plugins on application start - takes a while, but after that it saw Carla - I was able to load the Accordian VST,

Used Carla Pathbay plugin to show connections , also Catia - all connections seem ok but sadly still no sound :(
Attachments
image3758.png
image3758.png (189.84 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

OK The last straw just landed on my Linux carrying back

Ardour no longer can connect to my audio device - it sees no midi device - I have tried using Jack, Jack plus Alsa all to no avail

Man I have wasted two weeks of dickering with Linux and Ardour when I could have been making music with Mixcraft in crappy but fully functional Windows 10

So I guess its goodbye to Linux again - maybe it will mature somewhat in a few years - this is exactly what I said a few years ago

But Linux music is for Linux program level techies not musicians.

:( :(
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sranauta wrote:OK The last straw just landed on my Linux carrying back

Man I have wasted two weeks of dickering with Linux and Ardour when I could have been making music with Mixcraft in crappy but fully functional Windows 10

So I guess its goodbye to Linux again - maybe it will mature somewhat in a few years - this is exactly what I said a few years ago

But Linux music is for Linux program level techies not musicians.

:( :(
Hi,

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but you didn't really try 'Linux Audio' you tried running Windows Audio on Linux, next time try running Linux Audio on Windows and see how that goes.. :lol:

You're going to throw out a whole operating system because an out-of-platform Accordian plugin doesn't work?? :roll:

If Ardour isn't seeing your audio device my guess is some other JACK connected app is running, perhaps you started Carla before starting JACK or something like that and jackd and jackdbus or something are trying to run at the same time.

Try this command:

Code: Select all

killall -9 jackd jackdbus
then start JACK from scratch and then Ardour and see if it is seeing the Audio device again
mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

sranauta wrote: Man I have wasted two weeks
I have tried to set up a system like the one you described with accordion vst and a sequencer - first (just to check it out) MuseScore (with its MIDI output) then, after it worked, Ardour also. I have made all connections in Carla's plugin windows directly. No sound problems - it just sounds funny to listen to a funky gospel electric bass line now played on accordion :wink:

This is the combination with MuseScore:
Bildschirmfoto_2018-03-22_05-55-39.png
Bildschirmfoto_2018-03-22_05-55-39.png (94.78 KiB) Viewed 428 times
First I didn't hear anything - until I realized that there had been another instance of Accordion still open (which seemed to be rested from my first attempt). I had to connect the new, "second" instance and then it worked.

Now the one with Ardour:
Bildschirmfoto_2018-03-22_05-57-58.png
Bildschirmfoto_2018-03-22_05-57-58.png (220.41 KiB) Viewed 428 times
N.B. I did not find the opportunities to select MIDI channels in MuseScore and Ardour - during my first attempt I had thought the problem would be differing MIDI channels.

It's possible to watch the accordeon peak meters in Carla's rack window to find out if the vst plugin gets a MIDI input signal at all. When I saw the meters working I knew that it was just a problem of audio connection between accordion's output and my soundcard.

Just to add an idea: It might help to
1. set up Carla with an LV2 or LADSPA plugin as a first step - to get MIDI and audio things to work (and to find out if there are problems which are not related to the windows-vsts).
2. Then insert the Accordion plugin into Carla's rack as a second step.