Simple guitar practice: what software to use?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wefiuwen

Simple guitar practice: what software to use?

Post by wefiuwen »

Hi,

I am new to music production software, and I'd like to be able to do a few things to help my guitar practice (I did toy with similar software ages ago, just for fun, so I am a bit familiar with composing using samples). In particular, I want to be able to loop some very simple chords and melodies so I can play along. So far I have used a website called Drumbot, specifically https://drumbot.com/projects/key_chords/ but I want to add tracks to that, customize chords...

I have used LMMS for a couple of weeks and it does what I need but the guitar samples that come with it aren't very nice (mostly "thrash guitars") and after a good afternoon of search (links in their forums/wiki and so on) I couldn't find more that I could make work. Also, months ago I installed Rosegarden but gave up on it because couldn't get it to produce sound (JACK issues, from what I understood here and there; LMMS works fine).

I would appreciate any suggestions... samples for LMMS would be nice, some other software that does the same would be good too.

Thanks!
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Simple guitar practice: what software to use?

Post by English Guy »

Check out play it slowly for learning songs. It slows them down without altering pitch and can loop a section to learn. Hydrogen is a drum machine, great to practice to, insurance against the bedroom disease of thinking you are in time until you play with other musicians.

For looping I would use Ardour. Play along to the metronome and you can cut out and loop your backing. Use hydrogen for drums, pitch shift a guitar for bass and you can create your own full backing.

Get into recording. I always say it is like ballerinas using a mirror. How it sounds in your head and how it actually is can differ. Recording will help you learn to bridge the gap.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Yeah, check out BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files since it was designed to do the specific task you're seeking. This is a program created for the purpose of providing live accompaniment, either for a live gig, or for practise. Some people will recommend software that is clearly intended as a composition, or mix production tool. But that entails a workflow that is not condusive to improvisation and live playing. You want software where you push a button and the app intelligently follows you. You don't want to spend time loading plugins, setting up a mix, nor composing backing tracks. You're not producing a studio recording. You just want to practise playing.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

wefiuwen

Post by wefiuwen »

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I will take a look at BackupBand (I have a classical guitar so I'll have to go for a mic) and possible Ardour (I do like the idea of entering some chords, even note by note, and playing along). I'll let you know how it goes...