io.gnu.linux Distribution

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

io.gnu.linux Distribution

Post by khz »

A GNU/Linux operating system dedicated to multimedia enthusiasts
io GNU/Linux is a powerful operating system that will turn your computer into a state-of-the-art multimedia workstation. It is based on the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, built around the Enlightenment desktop environment and includes a wide range of the best open source applications suitable for audio, graphics, video production, and more... :)
http://io.gnu.linux.free.fr/

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
ioGNULinux
Established Member

Re: io.gnu.linux Distribution

Post by ioGNULinux »

Hi khz, thx for your post! Hi all :D

A little message here to announce a new release of io GNU/Linux: 2017.03

With kernels 4.14 and 4.14-rt1.. enlightenment 0.22.1 etc...

Have a nice week :wink:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, I've been using E for audio production since Ver 16.xx, and it's always
served me well, and in several distros. It's the uncluncky window manager!
Is there any chance for a barebones/cd sized release, just E, your core audio system,
a web browser, and synaptic?
With limited bandwidth, and needing only a small but familiar set of apps,
the 4 gig distro has always been a non-starter for me, unless it's on
a magazine cover-dvd, or could be purchased via snail-mail in the USA.
It's cool that you've kept your distro available for such a long time.
Cheers
ioGNULinux
Established Member

Post by ioGNULinux »

Hi glowrak guy,

It should be ok to release minimal and full images for io GNU/Linux.. I've been thinking about this some times ago.. but none asked me before.. so.. let's see :wink:

Cheers!
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi, can you realized version io.gnu for raspberry pi 3 and arm hardware ?

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

I have only one big issue in one overall well crafted multimedia distribution. And that is that its based on Debian Sid. You simply cannot have a reliable professional multimedia studio experience, based on unstable base. Let the instability to the artist, not to the instruments.
I will gladly assist creating a stable version of IOGnuLinux, if the dev is willing to do that. Because that is how a multimedia distro should look: Awesome & Lightweight & Original. And/but working out of the box.

PS: If it comes to using a rolling and cutting edge Linux distribution, i put Archlinux far up front Debian Sid. As the Debian developers themselves warn us, that Debian Sid is not intended to be used in a production environment, unlike Arch which is a rolling distribution by design.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

thetotalchaos wrote:I have only one big issue in one overall well crafted multimedia distribution. And that is that its based on Debian Sid. You simply cannot have a reliable professional multimedia studio experience, based on unstable base. Let the instability to the artist, not to the instruments.
I will gladly assist creating a stable version of IOGnuLinux, if the dev is willing to do that. Because that is how a multimedia distro should look: Awesome & Lightweight & Original. And/but working out of the box.

PS: If it comes to using a rolling and cutting edge Linux distribution, i put Archlinux far up front Debian Sid. As the Debian developers themselves warn us, that Debian Sid is not intended to be used in a production environment, unlike Arch which is a rolling distribution by design.
Indeed, regardless of the hardware architecture, a system for audio video and multimedia production in general must be based on stable software, then at the discretion of users whether to try or add non-stable packages ... :wink:
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Debian used to have stable, testing and unstable releases, and the unstable packages were the ones
with recent bug fixes, while using 'stable' often meant missing out on new innovative software.
In the tradeoff, I always chose unstable, because there simply weren't lots of problems,
and devs of new softwares were usually active, and quick to fix reported bugs.
But an individual linux musician might have a very different baseline than someone managing
a business with multiple or many employees. That scenario will require long-term stability,
as provided by omnipresent m-soft style office suites. There is also some luck involved,
some people, myself among them, started quite accidentally with hardware that had
excellent design and solid linux support, the downside of that being that I still know relatively little
about configurations, most things just work, so I can just play...
Cheers