Visual metronome

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Visual metronome

Post by danboid »

The only Linux metronome app I've been able to find with a visual element is gtick but its visual beat indicator doesn't work very well - it frequently (as in every few beats) skips/'jerks' to catch up to the click.

Is there nothing better out there?
milkii
Established Member

Re: Visual metronome

Post by milkii »

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks milk - I'll check that out later. Have you tried it? Did you find it useful? It doesn't sound like it'd be much use on its own but I'm sure I can find a good lightweight JACK app to combine it with.

42low:

I know lots of apps have integrated metronomes but I want more than just a click and.or a glowing 'LED' (icon) for a metronome, plus I just want a standalone metronome app without having to fire up a whole DAW. It'll be interesting to see what jvmetro does to visualise beat lengths.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I finally got round to trying jvmetro, albeit under FreeBSD. When I start it, all I get is a red window. I thought I might need to attach it to a JACK MIDI source but it didn't create any JACK ports.

If anyone else wants to try, I built it using the command:

Code: Select all

gcc -I /usr/local/include jvmetro.c `sdl-config --libs` -ljack -o jvmetro
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I had not tried Ardour for a few point releases but now I can confirm that its metronome has no visual aspect, it is purely an audio metronome unless I'm missing something.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I don't think you understand what I want. I want an app that simulates the sway of a physical metronome, so that you can keep time without hearing a click. That might just be some pixels moving left/right or up/down like gtick, but as I said that doesn't quite work properly. I'd rather it NOT be a full DAW/audio editor and NOT require a MIDI clock source.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Another advantage of seeing something move a significant amount from side to side is that you can anticipate more easily and improvise around the beat.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Monoplugs have what looks to be a really good one but it's only for IOS. It might be worth asking the dev to port it to linux, he's a very friendly guy and all his other stuff runs on linux.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I am not aware If similar metronomes under Linux... it would be nice to have one. But I just found an online one that maybe is applicable for you (not sure how accurate in timing/visual is, but looks like it could do the job).
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks Crocoduck!

That online metronome is the best solution yet, it can prob be used offline with wine too as there is a downloadable exe version of it but I've not tried that yet.

The prob with it is that when set to the higher tempos (152+ bpm), it strains my eyes trying to watch it. It's prob a good use case / argument for Wayland! :D
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

danboid wrote:I finally got round to trying jvmetro, albeit under FreeBSD. When I start it, all I get is a red window. I thought I might need to attach it to a JACK MIDI source but it didn't create any JACK ports.
Today I went looking for a visual metronome, found this thread, and was able to get JVMetro to work.

To build:

* Install SDL, if not already present
* Extract jvmetro-master.zip
* Open a terminal at the extracted directory
* $ make (compile the program)
* $ sudo make install (copy the compiled program to /usr/local/bin/)

To use:

Set an applicable program as the JACK Transport master. In my case I used Sequencer64 and I had to restart the program in order to make the JACK Transport settings take effect. I then launched JVMetro from a terminal:

$ jvmetro

The jvmetro screen is solid red when JACK Transport is not running. I started Sequencer64 and the jvmetro window changed to flash a different colored block for each beat.
Logic Gate Music (retro electronic music and more...)
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

Why don't you try Hydrogen? The playhead moves in a repetitive manner through the measure, and the bpm display blinks. You can customize it, and it has its own metronome, but of course you can set your own rhythms and stuff.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

It's not native, but I spent some MONTHS working with the super-gracious developer of Bounce Metronome to assure it working smoothly in Wine. It does now, it's totally usable, go ahead.

Also, it's like 17 *orders of magnitude* better visualization (and insanely amazing beyond that) than any other metronome or rhythm tool. Completely astounding.

Also happens to have about as ethical a set of terms as possible short of being actually free/libre/open. It's too bad it's not fully FLO, but the developer is a great guy who will answer requests, provides all sorts of options to tweak as you want, and you can use the basics without a license. A lifetime license for everything is only $30 (and discount if you're truly poor even).

http://bouncemetronome.com/

Seriously mind-blowing. I could never recommend any other visualization or rhythm-learning tool etc. over this.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
end117
Established Member

Post by end117 »

Hello guys

i am trying to get jvmetro working in freshly installed ubuntu studio 20.04

I installed libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl1-dev, libjack-dev, but when I try "make" it gives me this:

Code: Select all

emenems@emenems-81hn:~/Scaricati/jvmetro$ make
cc -g3 -Wall -pedantic -ljack -lSDL    jvmetro.c   -o jvmetro
jvmetro.c: In function ‘main’:
jvmetro.c:289:9: warning: ‘jack_client_new’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
  289 |         client = jack_client_new( "jvmetro" );
      |         ^~~~~~
In file included from jvmetro.c:43:
/usr/include/jack/jack.h:97:16: note: declared here
   97 | jack_client_t *jack_client_new (const char *client_name) JACK_OPTIONAL_WEAK_DEPRECATED_EXPORT;
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `cleanup':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:66: undefined reference to `jack_client_close'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:67: undefined reference to `SDL_Quit'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `init_colors':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:96: undefined reference to `SDL_MapRGB'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `clear':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:103: undefined reference to `SDL_FillRect'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:105: undefined reference to `SDL_Flip'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `handle_event':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:117: undefined reference to `SDL_SetVideoMode'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `init_sdl':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:143: undefined reference to `SDL_Init'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:145: undefined reference to `SDL_SetVideoMode'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:149: undefined reference to `SDL_WM_SetCaption'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:151: undefined reference to `SDL_MapRGB'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:152: undefined reference to `SDL_MapRGB'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `display':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:172: undefined reference to `jack_transport_query'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:215: undefined reference to `SDL_FillRect'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:228: undefined reference to `SDL_FillRect'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:229: undefined reference to `SDL_UpdateRects'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:245: undefined reference to `SDL_FillRect'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:255: undefined reference to `SDL_FillRect'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:257: undefined reference to `SDL_UpdateRects'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `jack_shutdown':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:276: undefined reference to `SDL_Quit'
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/ccQ9f1DQ.o: in function `main':
/home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:289: undefined reference to `jack_client_new'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:297: undefined reference to `jack_on_shutdown'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:299: undefined reference to `jack_activate'
/usr/bin/ld: /home/emenems/Scaricati/jvmetro/jvmetro.c:319: undefined reference to `SDL_PollEvent'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [<builtin>: jvmetro] Error 1
emenems@emenems-81hn:~/Scaricati/jvmetro$

I'm on LENOVO V130-15IKB

Can someone help me please?

TNX, M.

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

A modern alternative is TICK Metronome:

https://tick.talaviram.com/