Upgrading Kubuntu to KXStudio: What happens to KDE? PulseAudio? or my first JACK install?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jeff Brown
Established Member

Upgrading Kubuntu to KXStudio: What happens to KDE? PulseAudio? or my first JACK install?

Post by Jeff Brown »

According to [this][/http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... stribution], "Updating from Ubuntu to KXStudio is as simple as copying and pasting a few lines in a terminal". I can't tell if they're talking about making the KXStudio apt repositories available or more.

Will KDE change to the stripped-down version KXStudio uses? I need multiple desktops and the zoom function.

Will JACK replace the PulseAudio that is currently the default on Kubuntu? Will web pages still be able to play audio?

What will happen to my first attempt at installing JACK? (I used apt, which installed a bunch of other stuff along with it, and some stuff that depends on it, in the course of trying to install SuperCollider.)

I use (for now) Kubuntu 16.04.
Jeff Brown
Established Member

Re: Upgrading Kubuntu to KXStudio: What happens to KDE? PulseAudio? or my first JACK install?

Post by Jeff Brown »

What a great response! I lost track of this thread after posting it and rediscovered it today.

I tried to start the upgrade but the only [instructions for upgrading](http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Document ... ry:Upgrade) that I've found say they work only on Ubuntu 12.04.
Jeff Brown
Established Member

Re: Upgrading Kubuntu to KXStudio: What happens to KDE? PulseAudio? or my first JACK install?

Post by Jeff Brown »

Thanks! I might almost understand!

Do you mean I should skip the step where they say to install 'kxstudio-desktop-kde4', but otherwise do everything they say? Is there something I should do instead of the step(s) that doesn't apply?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Jeff Brown wrote: Do you mean I should skip the step where they say to install 'kxstudio-desktop-kde4'
Yes, you don't need that with 16.04 (I would be surprised if you even can install it).
Jeff Brown
Established Member

Post by Jeff Brown »

Great, thanks you guys!