[Resolved] The new computer with the Scarlett 18i20 still a problem

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Re: The new computer with the Scarlett 18i20 still a problem

Post by baconature »

rghvdberg and Others,

I remain at a loss as to what is happening with this usb soundcard device. I suspect there remains something amiss, but where is the question. I believe I need to verify the units internal settings, yet doing so requires a money oriented operating system, either windoze or apple. Because of my personal preferences it will require the kindness of another person to allow use of their moneyed OS to accomplish this. I still don't wish to own any product by either of those companies. I think the next step in my discovery will have to be gaining access to the internal settings of this Focusrite Scarlett as a process of elimination. Until that day, I am ceasing attempts to waste days of my time and further inputs from members of this forum. Hopefully I can achieve access to someone's computer soon, but until then I can get back to work, via switching the location I plug the headphone jack into. It works to facilitate progress toward the goal (recording my music) through this means. It is incorrect and unwanted, yet I can live with it for now.

Again thanks for the time and effort to provide assistance. After I've had the capability to check this device's settings, I shall provide the information it supplies, and with some luck, hopefully be able to say the issue has been resolved. Until then, the situation shall remain.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Hi,
I thought to update the status of this situation. Actually there is no alteration in the status that I am able to identify as real or informative. I have attempted some analysis, yet uncertainty remains. Ignorance is really problematic with this situation. I was able to borrow a mac laptop to use as a tool. I loaded the mac version of "mix control" then hooked it up, and ran the program. It didn't seem to provide anything workable, other than what it stated as a reset of the default settings, which made no change to the function. Here is where the ignorance plays its roll. I don't know if the internal default settings of the Focusrite Scarlett is different for use with a Mac, than is is for use with a Windows machine. Bottom line is no change has come from this process. I tried using an old windows machine having the XP OS. Having loaded the Mix Control software to this old OS worked, yet when connecting it to the Focusrite, the Focusrite internally diagnosed that the XP system was older than what the Mac input, thus it would not allow changing the settings via the software designed to analyze it. I found that silly but a situation without recourse.

I am continuing my projects with it running as it does. It functions by connecting headphones to the computer's audio output (speakers) rather then the non functional internal headphone monitoring system that fails to function when the computer is engaged to the hardware. The Focusrite works as it should (internal headset jacks) when it is stand alone, without being used as an USB interface. I have yet to find a newer windows machine that I can access an use to attempt another try at analysis.

None the less, I am leaning toward believing that the current OS I use, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 is where the problem originates. I may have to go purchase a new video card for my old computer, to see if going back to that system proves an answer, but that seems so ridiculous in ways.

Thanks for reading,
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Get some lucky beverages, and spend some hours with this nice tutorial.

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

If needed, you can sell the scarlett interface, and get a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6,
known to work without hassles in linux, especially with the tutorial in hand.
Here's a video of the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhBfLK3oR4
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Glowrak,

If only the interface (external soundcard) had multiples of input capability, but it has only 2. Jack is unlike to be problematic in any case.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

It was sometime after I upgraded my system to 18.04, I discovered that the 18i20 began functioning as I would expect it to. Since that time the system's music recording capability stabilized. Rarely do I have problems with it now.

And now that the system works, the index finger on my left hand stopped functioning correctly (December 2019). I have since been forced to stop playing all instruments that require use of the left hand, ie everything. Sometimes life sucks. The change of life due to this is difficult to accept. Now with the virus, I can't even seek a medical repair job, if one exists.

I have released a couple of newer recordings that are "as is," rather than the best I could achieve. So it goes. :oops:
Tom ~ Idaho USA

My Music