Wich distro you would use for an Intel i7-6700HQ

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

didgewind
Established Member

Wich distro you would use for an Intel i7-6700HQ

Post by didgewind »

Hi there, I just purchased a MSI CX62 6QD-240XES Intel i7-6700HQ/8GB/1TB/GT940MX/15.6" laptop. I've been using ubuntu for many years, and switched to lubuntu for performance (my old computers were not that powerful). I expect this i7 to be powerful enough to do what I want (live gigs with two micros and some software running, SooperLooper, carla as rack, some audio plugins, hydrogen...). I am very comfortable with lubuntu and lxde but I don't know whether I might be missing something for not installing ubuntu and unity.

Do you have any advice related to this? Or you would change distros and switch to another completely different thing?

tx
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Wich distro you would use for an Intel i7-6700HQ

Post by sysrqer »

If it suits you then why change? I have a similar spec processor and I use kde neon but that's because I like kde and for the moment I have the fewest problems with ubuntu based distros. I would stick to what you have if you are happy with it and have no particular reason to change.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Your system gui should be to your liking, stress is a mortal enemy,
a few extra cpu cycles on an i7 is not. Use what makes you glad to
turn on a computer. I like Enlightenment and Trinity best, but tolerate lxde,
Cinamon and others, anything but the toyshops and spyguis coming out of Redmond.

Get a few external drive cases over time, and test various distros safely
away from your main systems hard-disk(s)

Choosing a hard-disk collection best suited to your productivity, data storage and back-ups,
with a suitable partitoning scheme will be important, as can be
choosing a video card, and especially audio interfaces.

Some info about what kinds of music you'd like to make, can inspire less generic replies.
Cheers
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

I'd use the same distro I use for any other Linux laptop or Desktop. Mint.

Ubuntu will achieve something similar but comes with Shuttleworth's daft "enhancements", so no thanks.
Imo, for desktop usage Ubuntu / Mint has better mass market support, testing and development efforts compared to the rest.

The remaining flavours of Linux can be made to work to varying degrees but the maintenance effort required for most of them just isn't worth my time.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio