Ubuntu and Lubuntu

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Telover
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu and Lubuntu

Post by Telover »

Beck, I had your same os, 12.04 LTS then I changed computer (got a 64bit) and installed Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS.
It works quite nice even though every now and then I have some problems I never had with the regular Ubuntu.
Also. I don't like Xfce at all, KDE or whatever is the regular Ubuntu desktop is much better, at least for me.
But on the contrary, I would be forced to install Ubuntu, then a low latency kernel, the all the progams to work both with music, photo and so on, so I chose US.
At first I installed KXStudio but I found Ubuntu Studio suits my needs better
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I've run lubuntu in the past on netbook and pc. But I found the DE a bit too spartan for my desktop needs.
Ubuntu is much more complete and polished.

I've become quite a fan of Mint Cinnamon. Works great with the KX repos.

To be honest, any desktop that does 'expo' thing is a suitable DE for me.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Beck, actually I don't know Lubuntu, never tried. But it's good you installed Ubuntu. Let me know how it goes with low latency kernel, I might get back, uninstall Ubuntu Studio and install Ubuntu like I had before.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Don't use anything ubuntu-based. There are going to be enough adjustments to make when every distro switches over to Wayland... except ubuntu which is going its own proprietary way with Mir. And all the developers/distros will eventually adopt flatpack format for packaging software... except ubuntu which is going its own way with snap format. Canonical is increasingly making a distro that is a real oddball with ubuntu-only software. And it will all fail and eventually be scrapped just like previous Canonical duds like Upstart, Bazaar, ubuntu phone, etc. There's a reason why lots of folks have been moving away from ubuntu. Google trends show it going down, down, down, year after year.

Use AVLinux. It's Debian. Linux Mint should also be safe because they've got a debian-based version ready to go once ubuntu deviates so much that it becomes a nightmare to run third-party software on it (like all your music apps).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

When I used Ubuntu, for two or three years, it was actually Lubuntu.

Lubuntu is the same as Ubuntu, except the desktop manager is Openbox + LXDE. That's the only difference. I never had a single problem with it.

Now I use Debian in the same manner: Openbox + LXDE. Works a treat. I wouldn't exchange it for anything.

Openbox is not Spartan. A lot of its potential is hidden. I highly recommend reading at least two or three pages of their wiki if you decide to use it.

The only caveat is that I am very experienced with Linux. I've been using it for 16 years. If I had to use any other desktop manager, I'd pick ratpoison or fvwm2, which are even more intimidating to inexperienced users. I like that kind of small, fast, no-nonsense environment. I can't stand Gnome or KDE.

It's a very personal choice, and it's all about taste. No technical issues really.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Beck, I don't know what you mean with recording all in analog. I do the same, I guess: I exclusively use mic on the amp, micd acoustics. The only digital stuff is the keyboard.
I think latency has also to do with the machine one has. My previous pc was a Samsung with a Intel Core Duo and 4GB ram but it couldn't deal with my Fast Track Pro and, beside of this, I had a high latency.
Now I have a Lenovo 64bit that doesn't have any latency problem.
Your test with Ubuntu is nice since there are things I don't like in Ubuntu Studio, first of all is the XFCE.
So I might get back to the normal Ubuntu even though it usually depends on the machine.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Ok I got it now. And don't worry, analogue is better than digital, it can be a true statement.
Well the only difference between me and you is that my analogue signal arrives to my soundcard then it goes to my pc, yours arrives to your mixer.
Mine is instrument --> mic --> Fast Track --> pc (Ardour)
Also the few effects I use are all analogue (pedals), I only add some Calf reverb or delay when needed.
Actually years ago I bought a Zoom R24 but never used with the pc, and for the drum section was too limited.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

What mixer do you use? And, do you use Ardour or else?
And how can you connect the analog mixer in the pc? I'm not expert at all, so I don't know if (I use Ardour so in a case like mine) and how a analog mixer can be connected with Ardour.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Yes the great '80s stuff, expecially if japanese.
Anyways we have the same setup: I go with the signal in the soundcard which is external, you have it internal.
I was wondering about one thing. In the case to have a 12 or 24 tracks mixer, if you have a song in Ardour with let's say 30 tracks, how can you manage them with the mixer? Maybe you need a mixer like my old R24 which has switchable tracks via a single button? It has 12 slides assigned to tracks 1-12, then you have a button to switch the tracks to 13-24.
But mixing with that it would be a nightmare