KXStudio: Mixbus3 & Jack export(rendering) error that survived 14.04 to 16.04

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

canezila
Established Member

KXStudio: Mixbus3 & Jack export(rendering) error that survived 14.04 to 16.04

Post by canezila »

Hello.

I have been using Mixbus 3.7 on KXStudio 14.04 x86_64 with no problems for a long time. I used to be able to export video and mostly audio without any issues.... until a few weeks ago. A workaround: switch Mixbus3 audio engine to ALSA and pick some other hardware to connect to and then render my project. When finished, I would switch the audio engine back to JACK and proceed with the next project. I would do all work with JACK and just render with ALSA.

So I was reading on the KXStudio website about situations regarding people using more current versions of ubuntu and thought that upgrading from 14.04 LTS to the newest LTS 16.04 might fix my unknown audio pluming issue. It did not fix my audio engine error.

So does that narrow anything down? I have tried using Mixbus 3.6. Uninstalling Mixbus 3.6/7. Reinstalling just 3.6. Reinstalling 3.7. Loading the project in Ardour 5. Uninstalling Ardour 5 and installing Ardour 4.... All give same result. Also tried (back when I was on 14.04) to switch to JACKd1 and remove whatever programs needed JACK2.... then installing JACK2 again with KXStudio meta... Running the KXStudio Welcome Screen setup.

Why do I not just wipe and start fresh? I know I might have to...BUT I have a long history with this install and would rather keep it if I can locate the issue. Otherwise, I will wipe if there is no better option.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: KXStudio: Mixbus3 & Jack export(rendering) error that survived 14.04 to 16.04

Post by glowrak guy »

My policy as a musician, is to test such large changes on a spare install.
I try to keep the audio/video part of linux as a separate entity,
on top of the OS. Once the production OS is stable,
I don't upgrade OS componants I don't fully understand,
which is almost all of it. I also don't upgrade the audio system
when it's working, just the plugins/instruments.

I remove all pulseaudio items, (but it's main lib
is a dependency that synaptic keeps)

A 120 gig ssd, and adaptor, placed in an external case, runs about $100,
That would be a good option for a fresh 14.04 fresh install,
I haven't seen a rush for musicians to use 16.04, but you could
keep it as a spare, to be modded for use over time, as the spearcatchers
post their painfully gotten solutions.

I'm using mixbus 3.6, but haven't used it with any video.
Good luck!