Brainstorming a new Linux distribution for Music Production and Game Dev

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

English Guy
Established Member

Re: Brainstorming a new Linux distribution for Music Production and Game Dev

Post by English Guy »

I am sorry if my info was out of date. I was working to a deadline and went with what I knew. BTW how is AVLinux at setting up dual boot with Windows 10 please?
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Afterthought: also there is more risk of an update breaking testing. Why not use stable?
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

English Guy wrote:Afterthought: also there is more risk of an update breaking testing. Why not use stable?
"stable" is Debianese for "obsolete" :lol:

I know this from experience.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

tnovelli wrote:
English Guy wrote:Afterthought: also there is more risk of an update breaking testing. Why not use stable?
"stable" is Debianese for "obsolete" :lol:

I know this from experience.
I have always been happy with stable. KXstudio repositories gives me the more up to date software. I certainly would not have handed a noob a testing system
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

GMaq wrote:... AV Linux 2016 ..... is now based on Debian Testing and uses the KXStudio repos ...
Sweet. That's a monumental improvement over the situation when I started using Linux audio a few years ago.

Then:
- It was a struggle to get studio software working on mainstream distros
- AVLinux was a custom distro based on an ancient version of Debian
- KXStudio was basically a custom distro based on Ubuntu...

Now:
- KXStudio is the go-to studio software repo for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc (Ubuntu etc now optional!)
- all the effort that went into maintaining custom distros goes into KXStudio now
- AVLinux is (basically) a nicely preconfigured livedvd/installer for Debian+KXStudio

There may be a few clouds on the horizon but things are pretty good now, for those who've discovered this stuff.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

tnovelli wrote:
GMaq wrote:... AV Linux 2016 ..... is now based on Debian Testing and uses the KXStudio repos ...
Sweet. That's a monumental improvement over the situation when I started using Linux audio a few years ago.

Then:
- It was a struggle to get studio software working on mainstream distros
- AVLinux was a custom distro based on an ancient version of Debian
- KXStudio was basically a custom distro based on Ubuntu...

Now:
- KXStudio is the go-to studio software repo for Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc (Ubuntu etc now optional!)
- all the effort that went into maintaining custom distros goes into KXStudio now
- AVLinux is (basically) a nicely preconfigured livedvd/installer for Debian+KXStudio

There may be a few clouds on the horizon but things are pretty good now, for those who've discovered this stuff.
When I started I was custom compiling most of the stuff on Slackware including kernel. Now we can just get on with the music. bliss ☺.
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

hathor wrote:In the next year or so, I'm going to be in a financial position to set up an office and hire a staff to work with me on my ideas.
My thoughts are that some really good applications are needed much more than a new distro. I"m not saying there aren't already some great Linux audio apps, but my opinion is that we need more really great applications and that these will have a much greater positive impact on the user community than a new distro.

I think it's great that you are having financial success and are focusing your energies on Linux and open source. I encourage you to go for it!

I also appreciate what Shuttleworth is trying to do. I personally stopped using Ubuntu and moved to Arch. I'm not a big fan of the Unity, Mir and several other Canonical projects. However, I think Shuttleworth's efforts are (on the whole) more positive than negative. My advice to you is to not let the naysayers stop you from trying to do something innovative in the Linux space.

EDIT: the other thing what would really help the Linux audio community is working with equipment manufacturers to get much better Linux support. There are few audio interfaces that are fully supported on Linux. Very sad.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I hope we're not drifting off topic, but IMO linux audio would be best served by adding polish and refinement. Contributing to existing projects that are 90% of the way there and helping them develop it so that its easier to use, sounds good at every setting, looks better etc. That and some more promotion. Again this is an opinion, but I think thats what canonical did and they had huge success if you consider the adoption rate the primary metric. They took existing stuff, packaged it up nice, filled in the missing technical gaps and promoted it and got in with some hardware vendors.

It really depends on what your goals are. Financially I haven't a clue what the best would be (you probably ought to do some market research), but if you simply want to build up the linux audio ecosystem and community see my opinion above, and if you just want to explore your personal ideas and projects, then you are the boss with the money. Do what you like. :)
Just my $.02
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
MountainX
Established Member

Post by MountainX »

ssj71 wrote:I hope we're not drifting off topic, but IMO linux audio would be best served by adding polish and refinement. Contributing to existing projects that are 90% of the way there and helping them develop it so that its easier to use, sounds good at every setting, looks better etc. That and some more promotion. Again this is an opinion, but I think thats what canonical did and they had huge success if you consider the adoption rate the primary metric. They took existing stuff, packaged it up nice, filled in the missing technical gaps and promoted it and got in with some hardware vendors.

It really depends on what your goals are. Financially I haven't a clue what the best would be (you probably ought to do some market research), but if you simply want to build up the linux audio ecosystem and community see my opinion above, and if you just want to explore your personal ideas and projects, then you are the boss with the money. Do what you like. :)
Just my $.02
I think that is a brilliant perspective.