AvLinux as an otherwise cool Debian desktop system?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

AvLinux as an otherwise cool Debian desktop system?

Post by fretski »

I'm trying to warm up to other OS'es besides my Suse-13.2 and have looked at Debian several times already but kinda lost it. I know that Debian has likely the biggest following. As I just installed AvLinux I asked a question on alt.os.debian but got no answers and cannot post to the AvLinux forum as that web facility, unlike this one, seems to block TOR sources.

Is AvLinux an otherwise acceptable/workable Debian system that I could also use for most other purposes as well, installing Debian packages from the main Debian repos?

I tried ZynAddSubFX*.deb and it just won't work.
---------------------
W: Ignoring file 'violetsky_steam.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
W: Ignoring file 'violetsky_steam.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
W: Failed to fetch ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/debian ... 1_i386.deb
Unable to fetch file, server said '/debian/pool/main/z/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsubfx_2.4.0-1+b1_i386.deb: No such file or directory '
---------------------

Thanks.

P.S. the 4 OS'es I'm tinkering with: http://trixtar.org/3/compuke/My-4-Nix/my4linux.html
varpa
Established Member

Re: AvLinux as an otherwise cool Debian desktop system?

Post by varpa »

AVlinux 6.0 (latest, but a bit old now) is a fine as a debian system and you can install from the repos generally. However, it is not advised to install all updates because these may break things. AVlinux provides builds of most music software and those should be used if available, rather than installing from general repos (which are likely to have older versions anyway). However Avlinux6 will be replaced very soon by AVlinux 2016 - see http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3637.0 so you might want to try that when it is available.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I did not use AVLinux for my desktop as I was concerned about not being able to update. I use stock Debian with an RT kernel and the KXStudio repositories and it woks well for me.

When I have used AVLinux I use it live.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

To clarify AV Linux 6.X is no longer maintained, (see http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/) it may be quite usable depending on your workflow and up-to-date versions of Ardour and Mixbus work just fine on it and in my experience some of the Video Editors included (ie Kdenlive) actually work far better than the current latest versions on Ubuntu and Debian but generally speaking I don't recommend using AV Linux 6 as a primary Desktop system any longer.

AV Linux 2016 is just around the corner and will be VASTLY different and a great Desktop candidate because it will be much more upgrade-friendly.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

I have since installed AvLinux-2016 but it will not boot. In addition I've found out that it neither includes nor supports rakkarack, so for the time being shelved it.
Phleg

Post by Phleg »

I've installed it on my laptop and keep trying to configure JACK for use it with Ardour.
I'm a newbie linux user, and need more time to understand all the stuff. But at the time AV Linux seems much faster than all microsoft systems i've ever tried.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

fretski wrote:I have since installed AvLinux-2016 but it will not boot. In addition I've found out that it neither includes nor supports rakkarack, so for the time being shelved it.
the last thing I'd wanna do is badmouth a noble effort like AvL, so for those goegling for help ..

I managed to install it after a new download, the first file was an md5 mismatch

the install has some quirks
- you need id "isotester" & password "avl64" (or 32), not easy to find this tidbit
- the partition setup is confusing, try different dialog options if intending to use an existing partition
- I could not boot without getting grub2 on it, which is a no-no but for now i'll leave it as is
- it uses uuid so cloning with dd means some footwork
- no swap in fstab, guess it doesn't need one

But, it's aboard !!! and I will be looking to install rakkarack too after xmas.

The total initial disk use is less than 15gB, I use a standard 50 for all my distros, so lotsa room

It looks like anotherwise standard Debian package so I'll keep it as 'my Debian', which it henceforth replaces. If I need any other apps I'll just install them.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I'm sorry if it seemed difficult, but all of the password information you're talking about plus a link to the User Manual is all on the AV Linux website:

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

I'm not sure where else you would expect it to be... :D

Also although I'm involved here generally as a 'Linux Musician' this is not a great place for tech support for AV Linux since I'm here on and off and don't often comb the whole forum. The exception is if you have trouble with packages from the KXStudio repositories then by all means post in the KXStudio forum here.. :wink:
fretski
Established Member

[Resolved:YES] Re: AvLinux as an otherwise cool Debian desktop system?

Post by fretski »

A password has no business in an install or live session, but you're right this IS not the place for non-music music.

I posted here less for technical assistance and more hoping that there would be many users and that I would get a quick answer "YES, AvL is a Debian like most others with some optimizations just like 'buntu-studio is like another 'buntu but with studio optimizations". I already had a Debian installation, been booting it once a year without fail for eons never really getting up the interest to really use it although that was the idea i.e, not to have all my eggs in one (mostly suse) basket. I also tinker with slak and Mageia.

So there, the thing is installed and now hopefully it will get me involved in the Debian way of doing things too :D