Debian Jessie and KX Studio, anyone using this?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

English Guy
Established Member

Debian Jessie and KX Studio, anyone using this?

Post by English Guy »

Hi
I was looking to do a fresh install on my music laptop, which is currently running Debian Wheezy and KXstudio repos, as it will be easier than trying to sort out a few issues (mainly my fault as I learned how to configure things how I like, as a then Debian noob).

Instead of just a reinstall I am thinking of upgrading to Jessie, again with KXstudio, so that I will not need to upgrade when it becomes the new 'stable'. Otherwise Wheezy/ KXstudio is a nice setup and I am very happy with it.

I will be using this with my trusty Alesisi io2, mainly for audio work, with maybe a little midi for strings/ keyboards etc.

Has anyone any experience of Jessie/ KXStudio? How do you find it? did you have any issues?

Thanking you all in advance.
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Debian Jessie and KX Studio, anyone using this?

Post by English Guy »

falkTX wrote:I run debian jessie on my main pc, and it works just fine.

very few things to complain about.
Thank you, just what I needed to know.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

English Guy wrote:
falkTX wrote:I run debian jessie on my main pc, and it works just fine.

very few things to complain about.
Thank you, just what I needed to know.
Same here, no problem.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

I promised myself not to build any linux audio oriented system around Debian Jessie, until an appropriate Linux kernel is introduced. For me its easier and more logical to import software like Carla and/or Cadence into Archlinux, which has pretty usable for audio production default kernel and optional linux-rt kernel. Liquorix is as close as it gets to an option for a kernel for Debian Jessie, but because the Liquorix repo is targeting Debian unstable, this is not a reliable option in perspective. I really had high hopes for Jessie, especially after the introduction of the multimedia metapackages, unfortunately it came to be yet another disappointment.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

thetotalchaos wrote:I promised myself not to build any linux audio oriented system around Debian Jessie, until an appropriate Linux kernel is introduced. For me its easier and more logical to import software like Carla and/or Cadence into Archlinux, which has pretty usable for audio production default kernel and optional linux-rt kernel. Liquorix is as close as it gets to an option for a kernel for Debian Jessie, but because the Liquorix repo is targeting Debian unstable, this is not a reliable option in perspective. I really had high hopes for Jessie, especially after the introduction of the multimedia metapackages, unfortunately it came to be yet another disappointment.
So is there a problem getting a decent kernel for Jessie? I use a USB interface and an rt kernel makes a difference.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

I run locally compiled low-latency and rt 3.18 kernels on Jessie, both work fine as far as I can tell. Here's some basics on how to do it
Sorry the instructions are a bit messy because it mentioned older kernel versions and some previous problems but the principles on how to compile 3.18 are the same.

Just go to kernel.org and get the 3.18 source and the rt patch and compile them, it'll possibly take a while so be patient.

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... s/rt/3.18/
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 27&t=13218
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Alas, I moved from Slackware to Debian based distros to avoid compiling my own kernels (among other things). :(
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

I've spent the past few days trying out some different distro options, and some form of Debian jessie with KXStudio repos was one I've wanted to test. I also had the requirement of getting a 3.19 kernel (Jessie has 3.16), because I have a Zoom R16 USB interface that has just recently gained support with 3.19. Today i have been testing a nightly iso of SolydK (based on Jessie with KDE, SolydX has Xfce)) plus KXStudio repos plus the Liquorix kernel. So far, so good. Everything I have tried has been working, and the Liquorix kernel is playing well with jackd2 with fairly low latency. SolydXK nightly build isos are here: http://downloads.solydxk.com/nightly/

and the liquorix kernel can be found here: http://liquorix.net/
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

I'm using Debian Sid+KX since Ubuntu-only times, no problem at all
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Thanks for the advice. I am just installing Jessie now. Liquorix kernels sound interesting, what other kernels are people using?
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Just for the record, x-runs with stock Debian kernel, but solved with Liquorix kernel.
Fire_String
Established Member

Post by Fire_String »

I'm currently running Debian (8+ beyond) and Ubuntu (15.04) installations on my PC.
I have a soft spot for Debian, but it does need a bit more work compared with Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has its ready to go low latency kernels in the main repositories.
The Debian RT kernels are left at 250Hz, so not optimal for audio. As English Guy shows,
adding Liquorix to the sources.list is the answer here.
One other thing is proprietary video drivers. Having out of the box easy detect and installation
of drivers is great (I know, you can use DKMS building for Debian). Also Ubuntu doesn't appear
to require a xorg.conf file for the binaries. I will be curious on my snapshot of Ubuntu iso image
how video detection is handled with the binaries left in.
freshmelon
Established Member

Post by freshmelon »

Why you didn't like it?
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I have to say that I am really pleased. I did a netinstall so I have a nice lean system. The excellent kxstudio repositories give the best most up to date music software and the fact it is Jessie means a nice long shelf life for the install.