Arch based audio distro

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dvzrv
Established Member

Re: Arch based audio distro

Post by dvzrv »

Hi all!

I took over plenty of packages for Arch Linux (mainly pro-audio) by the end of last year.
After a successful rebuild of many not touched for years and some long outdated, I'm now pulling in new candidates from the long list of unsupported (AUR).

Additionally, I will add more meta-groups to make installation of useful pro-audio packages easier (no separate repository needed).

IMHO it is not needed to have a dedicated distribution for pro-audio, as long as
  • it is easy to build packages on that distribution
  • documentation is good
  • there are enough people to take care of packaging
  • there's a real-time kernel *
  • you are not serving a special kind of hardware, that requires modifications (because it's a different CPU platform altogether)
Additionally, I can only second what falkTX wrote: There are too many distros already. It's not about creating a new one, but about improving the existing ones. No one will do that job for you. Linux is not the "lean back and get served" type of OS!

Now, regarding the real-time kernels: linux-rt and linux-rt-lts are still (wonderfully I must say) taken care of by Joakim Hernberg (but years of doing that certainly wear you down).
After the round of additions has ended and the meta-groups have been added, I think it might be time to think about their inclusion in the [community] repository as well. However, maintaining a kernel package is no piece of cake and I will not do this on my own (with so many packages on my back now). Every person who ever maintained one, knows that. That's why it is also a very touchy subject amongst all the Trusted Users in Arch Linux (no one wants yet another kernel, if there's no good reason for it... and I think I am about to create a good reason for it: to serve all awesome pro-audio things that Linux has to offer!).
Therefore, if you feel like you want to contribute and are into packaging (at least a little), please let me know.
Maybe it's time to become a Arch Linux Trusted User, too?

* linux-rt and linux-rt-lts are not in the Arch Linux supported repositories yet!
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Regarding the fact that Arch is "a pain in the ass" to install.... any of you ever tried to maintain a Gentoo audio system. Personally I really only ever use Gentoo when I want to frustrate myself and get in a cranky mood. I actually just gave up on my Gentoo partition yesterday and deleted it.
Anyway I wanted to point out the coderkun-aur-audio repo.

coderkun-aur-audio
Maintainer: coderkun
Description: AUR packages with audio-related (realtime kernels, lv2-plugins, …) software. Supporting package deltas and package and database signing.
Upstream page: https://www.coderkun.de/arch
Key-ID: A6BEE374
Keyfile: https://www.coderkun.de/coderkun.key
[coderkun-aur-audio]
Server = http://arch.coderkun.de/$repo/$arch/

They have the rt kernels and rt-lts. Also some selected audio packages built from AUR.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I used to use gentoo and it wasn't that much different to using arch for audio. Most stuff audio stuff on arch you have to compile, I'd rather have the extra control of gentoo if I have to do all that. System stuff doesn't take that long (mostly) in gentoo, I didn't see much point in arch after using that.

Then again, I don't have the time or energy for either these days...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:I used to use gentoo and it wasn't that much different to using arch for audio. Most stuff audio stuff on arch you have to compile, I'd rather have the extra control of gentoo if I have to do all that. System stuff doesn't take that long (mostly) in gentoo, I didn't see much point in arch after using that.

Then again, I don't have the time or energy for either these days...
gentoo I loved but that I thought was harder than Arch but that was back when Arch was easy to install. Now I cheat with Revenge or Antergos to install Arch. :-)
Don't wanna hijack this thread but Gentoo has it's own pro audio site I recalled.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I really just mean that it can be a nightmare to update.(gentoo) The other day it said my profile was deprecated. After I switched to an updated profile and tried to update, it became an impossible situation to resolve ( a blocks b which blocks c which blocks a etc). I look at it like a game or a puzzle and when I'm in the mood for it... cool, but I would never use it for anything other than idle tinkering.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I believe Arch is actually pretty straightforward, especially installation. After I did it 3 times, I can get my system up and running with GNOME3 and all the base stuff in something like 30 minutes.

I used Gentoo a lot of years ago. What made me change to something else was that compiling everything takes time. A whole system update was too time consuming to do.

There are derivatives like Sabayon nowadays that maybe are pretty cool, though.
dvzrv wrote: IMHO it is not needed to have a dedicated distribution for pro-audio, as long as

it is easy to build packages on that distribution
documentation is good
there are enough people to take care of packaging
there's a real-time kernel *
you are not serving a special kind of hardware, that requires modifications (because it's a different CPU platform altogether)
100% agree.
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

i think it easiest to install manjaro - download iso burn to cd > install and boot.
go into manjaro settings pick select kernel and click install linux realtime kernel
reboot pick the linux-rt and press enter from the grub menu
go into the pamac (add remove programs)
settings - turn on downloads from aur
install jack 2-dbus and cadence 9if doesnt start jackd reboot but shouldnt need to) these are in the AUR
catia from cadence lets you setup your connection to jack2

make sure you --->> gpasswd -a your username audio

and log out

i dont think it could be any easier and very stable distro with a choice of desktop install version :)

i use antergos which is similar but to get a distro quick with a realtime kernel what i wrote above is simple

https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

xfce is nice light desktop
i prefer gnome on better spec machines :)
dvzrv
Established Member

Post by dvzrv »

wayneward: Arch != Manjaro

The topic is: "Arch based audio distro", not "Manjaro based audio distro". :roll:
Then again, one could argue, that Manjaro - being Arch based - is somewhat offering an Arch based audio distro.
The way I see it: Currently I'm adding a lot of new packages and Arch will not be the only distribution getting the benefit of that (Manjaro relies A LOT on its fork upstream and the AUR).

Just because Arch doesn't have a "graphical installer", doesn't mean it's harder to install.
The user will just have to spend time on making choices and learning some basics (IMHO that is good, because the user will grasp some concepts of what it means to run an operating system instead of just using and trusting it blindly). And not all choices are easy ones. The Arch wiki helps a lot though! :wink:

To get back on topic: The #archlinux-proaudio channel on freenode is back and Arch has started a separate mailing list for pro-audio lately.
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

I know what you mean i been compiling a building systems since 95 - mainly gentoo which yes ive learnt lots and enjoyed. I got to a time in my life were i just dont have the same time now moving to a new country and work atca full time musician. I started a arch system last month and realised it was being a pain and just didnt jave time as i had 3 systems to configure for our core business so i went antergos. Its as close as arch as you can get basicly arch with a fancy installer just with out manual configuration. Its great running realtime perfect. Some people load arch and just dont want to spend 3 or 4 days learning and blowing there brains out so its nice to have a easy alternative if you need to get up and running fast and get working rather than learning to be a computer technician if you know what i mean !!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

wayneward wrote:I know what you mean i been compiling a building systems since 95 - mainly gentoo which yes ive learnt lots and enjoyed. I got to a time in my life were i just dont have the same time now moving to a new country and work atca full time musician. I started a arch system last month and realised it was being a pain and just didnt jave time as i had 3 systems to configure for our core business so i went antergos. Its as close as arch as you can get basicly arch with a fancy installer just with out manual configuration. Its great running realtime perfect. Some people load arch and just dont want to spend 3 or 4 days learning and blowing there brains out so its nice to have a easy alternative if you need to get up and running fast and get working rather than learning to be a computer technician if you know what i mean !!
funny how most Archers came from Gentoo to Arch.. I started in 98 with Redhat, then Mandrake then Gentoo was the best.. Then I read somewhere that Arch was an up and coming distro kinda like Gentoo and me being Canadian and Arch coming from Canada, I jumped at it.
I tried the Debs (most of the *buntu) but Arch for me. When I have time I'd rather do the Arch install than the graphic alternatives but I think Arch is perfect for pro audio.
So glad someone is making it even more possible. thanx dvzrv.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

CraigPid wrote:Regarding the fact that Arch is "a pain in the ass" to install.... any of you ever tried to maintain a Gentoo audio system. Personally I really only ever use Gentoo when I want to frustrate myself and get in a cranky mood. I actually just gave up on my Gentoo partition yesterday and deleted it.
Anyway I wanted to point out the coderkun-aur-audio repo.

coderkun-aur-audio
Maintainer: coderkun
Description: AUR packages with audio-related (realtime kernels, lv2-plugins, …) software. Supporting package deltas and package and database signing.
Upstream page: https://www.coderkun.de/arch
Key-ID: A6BEE374
Keyfile: https://www.coderkun.de/coderkun.key
[coderkun-aur-audio]
Server = http://arch.coderkun.de/$repo/$arch/

They have the rt kernels and rt-lts. Also some selected audio packages built from AUR.
CraigPid, I keep getting this error

Code: Select all

coderkun-aur-audio        11.0 KiB   846K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 coderkun-aur-audio.sig   566.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: coderkun-aur-audio: key "B08555E13EBAEB50" is unknown
:: Import PGP key 1024D/C443FB1451C4A9930697126439E27199A6BEE374, "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>", created: 2013-02-06? [Y/n] 
error: coderkun-aur-audio: signature from "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>" is unknown trust
error: failed to update coderkun-aur-audio (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
 coderkun-aur              17.4 KiB   114K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 coderkun-aur.sig         566.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: coderkun-aur: signature from "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>" is unknown trust
error: failed to update coderkun-aur (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'coderkun-aur-audio' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'coderkun-aur' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
I even did

sudo gpg --recv-keys A6BEE374
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

gpg --recv-key B08555E13EBAEB50
don't think it needs sudo. i'll need to try --recv-keys next time i install something large with multiple unofficial/new signings

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

milk wrote:

gpg --recv-key B08555E13EBAEB50
don't think it needs sudo. i'll need to try --recv-keys next time i install something large with multiple unofficial/new signings
thanx milk but it didn't work. Yeah sudo is not necessary, I was just trying anything.

error: coderkun-aur-audio: signature from "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>" is unknown trust
error: failed to update coderkun-aur-audio (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'coderkun-aur-audio' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

i get linux-t from pacman version linux-rt 4.14.15_rt13-1 on antergos
if i want lts i get this from yaourt and i get version linux-rt-lts 4.9.76_rt61-1
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

wayneward wrote:i get linux-t from pacman version linux-rt 4.14.15_rt13-1 on antergos
if i want lts i get this from yaourt and i get version linux-rt-lts 4.9.76_rt61-1
That's exactly what I did. I've tried getting that repo to work for some time now on and off because I've seen it way before when Arch audio was up and running and I think only once I got it to work without any key issues.