Just found a new DAW on KVR

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Just found a new DAW on KVR

Post by glowrak guy »

The protools/cubase crowd thought all competitors are dust in the wind,
until the beancounters lack of beans was shown on a chart tracking Reaper license sales.

Windows users still think us linux users are dust in the wind. Beats being a fart in the wind...

Torvalds and Stallman rant on a regular basis, and on more public platforms.
Even Gates would rant, except Linda would _itch-slap his arse, and hide the checkbook :wink:

His own man. His own dime, His own time.
The air outside the box is fresh, the fools are few, freedom beckons
to rise and rule.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

tramp wrote:
stanlea wrote:Freedom is freedom of developing whatever you want.
stanlea wrote:But true that you can't expect any collaboration with him, unless you develop only for his system.
stanlea wrote:This said, pydaw and musickernel aren't bad at all.
:?:

Collaboration is, what linux makes what it is, and sometimes it is real hard to find a agreement. So, forgive me, but I lough out lout by reading your comment, that's why I've cropped it in single stances, compare them, and lough by yourself.
True, he can develop what ever he want, but for sure, what he do didn't help Linux, nor did it fit into the Linux Eco system. Just wait some month and he will be back on windows, were he belongs to.
So please don't wonder why recommend here "stay away from it, it will disturb your work-flow, sooner or later."
Yep I already talked to him on kvr, and he doesn't care about the ecosystem. Your arguments are my arguments. And I don't recommend particularly his apps. Just underlining that's it's a pity to see a gifted programmer with a "I vs all" attitude. I think you misunderstood my post. And maybe I was not clear, but not a reason to LOL.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

stanlea wrote:This said, pydaw and musickernel aren't bad at all.
So, do you've tried it, or do you just guess it?
I ask because:
korakios wrote:Downloaded it,tried to install ,package creation failed, did it manually , installed the deb package ,launched it , could not configure my audio hardware , unistalled it.
Someone else maybe has time to configure it properly and review it. Nowadays ,I remove everything that is not meant to be a useful tool.I'm done with the beta-hobbyist app thing.
stanlea wrote:Just underlining that's it's a pity to see a gifted programmer with a "I vs all" attitude.
And a bit of history, how jeffh introduce himself here:
WayBackMachine
On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Harboring angst year after year over forum jabber? A heart attack or stroke
might creep up on you, and there are no winners in such a scenario. :shock:

variax, kemper profiler, gk2a, triple play, even guitarix,
benefit from creative people not always being the staunch conformist :wink:
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

glowrak guy wrote:Harboring angst year after year over forum jabber? A heart attack or stroke

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, I didn't get what would say her? (Translator only put out calabash for your stance)

However, I just interested if anyone have tried it, successful?
On the road again.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

tramp wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:Harboring angst year after year over forum jabber? A heart attack or stroke

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, I didn't get what would say her? (Translator only put out calabash for your stance)

However, I just interested if anyone have tried it, successful?
Yes, I tried it, if not I wouldn't speak about it. It's not bad at all, if one accept to be stuck with it.
heix
Established Member

Post by heix »

stanlea wrote:Yes, I tried it, if not I wouldn't speak about it. It's not bad at all, if one accept to be stuck with it.
I also tried it. Built and installed successfully on Kubuntu 14.04 with KXStudio repos. Choosing aloopDuplex as the audiodevice it plays nicely with jack :wink:
I had to restart it after the initial configuration to get any sound out of it. I didn't do serious tests, just hacked in some midi notes. I'm an interaction design guy, and from that perspective I must say the user interface might have some rough edges and take a short time getting used to, but feels fresh. There were some things I couldn't figure out immediately and didn't have the time to, so that's all I can say.
heix
Established Member

Post by heix »

Well, I can't tell for sure, I haven't looked into the code. An "rgrep jack *" returns some files in pydaw/portaudio. I haven't looked into configure/compile flags, but the defaults in the Makefile and scripts use "--with-jack=no"
Sas
Established Member

Post by Sas »

Can there be too many DAW's?

So much to choose from... currently, I settled for Qtractor and Reaper. Lean & clean. And both can do the job. Why try a new one...
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

There is always room for new DAWs . As long people are different and have different workflow ,new DAWs are welcomed . Since there many choices I expect something new to work out-of-the-box with minor bugs. I was even sceptical on installing ,since I am used to double-click a deb package....
Thanks for reporting that jack is unsupported, it explains my wasting hour on building and trying to get sound working...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Sas wrote:Can there be too many DAW's?

So much to choose from... currently, I settled for Qtractor and Reaper. Lean & clean. And both can do the job. Why try a new one...
I agree..

I also believe there are already too many DAWs, just like plugins... we don't really need 'more' we need the existing ones to be 'better'... We have Non for the minimalist modular fans all the way up to Ardour (just wait until Ardour 4 arrives... it's gonna be a game changer) for the monolithic DAW crowd and lean, mean in-betweeners like LMMS, Qtractor etc... then there are the commercial choices like Renoise, Tracktion, Bitwig etc. it appears to be an embarrassment of riches already and more than enough DAW's to cover varying workflows... just an opinion to take or leave...
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

In my opinion, I would say there are plenty of DAWs to choose from, but not enough MIDI sequencers. Sure, Some DAWs do include MIDI sequencers built-in, but a MIDI sequencer that does not play audio tracks wouldn't be considered a DAW, which is what I like. Sure, there's non-sequencer, but it's too much a pattern-based sequencer compared to MusE, which is a digital audio workstation that supports audio tracks. As for MIDI portion of the DAW, there are already plenty of DAWs that make use of ALSA-MIDI, which includes QTractor and Rosegarden. But the only ones with JACK-MIDI are Ardour 3 (very hard to work with since I don't like in-place MIDI editing for those who are not keyboardist like me) and MusE Sequencer.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

GMaq wrote:...(just wait until Ardour 4 arrives...
I did a Google search for "Ardour 4" (with quotes) and all it came up are URLs with "manga" in it such as "mangashare" and "mangatown." Where did you get that "Ardour 4" from? I don't think there are any rumors about Ardour 4 yet. Since I blocked all the URLs using a Personal Blocklist extension for Google Chrome, all I had is two matches of "Ardour 4" such as "Ardour (4 bugs)."
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

GraysonPeddie wrote:
GMaq wrote:...(just wait until Ardour 4 arrives...
I did a Google search for "Ardour 4" (with quotes) and all it came up are URLs with "manga" in it such as "mangashare" and "mangatown." Where did you get that "Ardour 4" from? I don't think there are any rumors about Ardour 4 yet. Since I blocked all the URLs using a Personal Blocklist extension for Google Chrome, all I had is two matches of "Ardour 4" such as "Ardour (4 bugs)."
Sources are IRC chats on #ardour and this.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

GMaq wrote:Ardour 4
:o
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!