skype cuts suport for alsa....and now?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aistis
Established Member

Re: skype cuts suport for alsa....and now?

Post by Aistis »

Since there is already a thread about this f****** skype software, i wanted to ask if anybody is having issues with skype constantly changing the sampling rate, it drives me crazy! Anytime something happens in skype, even if i turn off all sound it changes the sampling rate of my system and some music that was playing in the backround is suddenly upscaled to micky mouse land. How do i block this piece of turd from playing around with the sampling rate?
Fire_String
Established Member

Post by Fire_String »

I agree with the majority sentiment here. Skype (Microsoft) ditching ALSA is a bit piss poor. Also, not having a native 64 bit is, again the same. If it's really important to get/send a message use email or agree another VOIP with your closest contacts (easier said than done, but hey).
JACK with Cadence tools is the 'dog's danglies'. I'm glad the likes of falkTX et al have enabled JACK to become a defacto sound server for a complete desktop system. I will not compromise it with crap software unless my life absolutely dependended on it.

JACK for the win. 8)
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

I'm glad the likes of falkTX et al have enabled JACK to become a defacto sound server for a complete desktop system. I will not compromise it with crap software unless my life absolutely dependended on it.
Same here, don't install any audio software that can't use Jack. Yeah, my mp3 player doesn't need sample sync but why not? It simplifies everything and with the few % cpu power it uses I won't notice it?

Problem is that the crew that is responsible for pulseaudio is slowly infecting every bit of linux. Take a look at systemd or grub2.
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Capoeira wrote:so, I installed pulseaudio

I added

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2;pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
as script after startup in qjackctl

actualy I like the fact that I don't need the loopback device anymore to use skype with jack

running fine
Where do you put this command if you are using cadence? I actually tried this code in qjackctl and It did not work for me. Is this all you needed to do to get your skype to work?

I really like to use cadence, however to run skype now and then using jack, I will do what it takes.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

aicram
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

aicram wrote:
Capoeira wrote:so, I installed pulseaudio

I added

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2;pacmd set-default-sink jack_out
as script after startup in qjackctl

actualy I like the fact that I don't need the loopback device anymore to use skype with jack

running fine
Where do you put this command if you are using cadence? I actually tried this code in qjackctl and It did not work for me. Is this all you needed to do to get your skype to work?

I really like to use cadence, however to run skype now and then using jack, I will do what it takes.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

aicram
sorry, I'm on Arch Linux. I put this in JackCtrl in "Execute script after startup"

you will get an anser from FalkX

btw: I am very satisfied with my system now....If I knew before that it works so nicely I would have installed Pulseausio before...But since 99% here talk bad about it............
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

i've been using pulseaudio with jack for a while now with few problems. It comes with vanilla ubuntu and works pretty painlessly with JACK if you set up JACK with the kxstudio tools. You just have to know how to

pgrep jackd | xargs kill -9
pacmd exit
pulseaudio -D
or something similar and restart jackd when everything breaks (which is fortunately happening less for me) -- though sometimes nothing works and it's easier to just restart. as far as novel uses of pulseaudio in comparison to alsa, I've used it to stream music over WLAN to a stereo-connected server, and it's also straightforward to redirect different audio sources to different sinks, eg doing JACK work over a usb soundcard but playing back mp3s through the builtin (maybe alsa can do this too?). Anyway it's not TOO much of a hassle nowadays.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

for those who don't want to use pulseaudio, there is a workaround:

sudo sed -i 's/4.2.0.13/4.3.0.37/' /usr/bin/skype
;)
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »