Claudia problem

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

winger
Established Member

Claudia problem

Post by winger »

I am having a problem with claudia, but it could be my understanding of how to do this. I create a studio from scratch, and it show hardware inputs and output and alsa bridge. I add a new device that starts a mixer I use. Then make all the connections so it is working as I expect. Then save the studio by name "test". Now close everything or reboot. Jack starts automacially as shown in cadence. I launch claudia from cadence and it shows a studio with input/output/bridge. Now I try to load the test studio.

The mixer is launced, but is the only device that shows up in the routing window. Nothing is connected, and there are no input/output devices or bridge shown. Refresh does not help. Closing, force restarting jack and opening claudia again shows the devices, but I cannot load my saved studio without loosing the hardware and bridge devices. Am I doing something wrong?. Is there a problem with claudia or jack?
winger
Established Member

Re: Claudia problem

Post by winger »

Ok, that is good to know. But do you know why do the hardware input output devices disappear, (capture and playback)?
winger
Established Member

Post by winger »

Thanks. I'm not where I can access the system now. Will try running in a terminal tonight and see what happens.
winger
Established Member

Post by winger »

I started claudia from a terminal and it outputs nothing.

I tried something else. I started claudia. unloaded the studio loaded by default. loaded the saved studio and again none of the capture or playback devices show up. I terminated claudia and start catia. It shows the missing devices, but they are not routed, I assume because claudia does not know they loaded and did not route them. Not sure what to make of that.

FalkTX. If you have a beta version of your replacement, I would gladly test it for you on my setup to see if it has this same problem :D
winger
Established Member

Post by winger »

I'm not sure why but it is working pretty well right now. The one thing missing is the loading of jackalsa bridge. I found the post about editing the xml file to get it to load and that works ok for now.
Gwyndaf
Established Member

Post by Gwyndaf »

Bit late to the discussion, but I was having a similar problem, with hardware capture and playback devices not showing in Claudia, though Catia confirms them to be active, and lets me connect them, so it's not a major problem.

It does indeed seem to be a ladish bug, rather than Claudia: I get the same behaviour with gladish. But I found an interesting relationship between this behaviour and Hydrogen. With Hydrogen set to Jack audio and Jack MIDI, these appear in Catia as two separate devices, but in Claudia only the MIDI is visible. The Jack audio ports - along with hardware capture/playback - are invisible in Claudia (i.e. to ladish).

Setting Hydrogen to use ALSA MIDI (along with the a2j MIDI bridge) seems to solve this. Hydrogen now appears in Claudia as a single device with Jack audio outs and bridged ALSA MIDI ports, and the hardware capture/playback ports become visible. I've no idea why this works, but fixes it for me. Maybe a ladish bug that's somehow triggered by Hydrogen's Jack MIDI.

Incidentally, winger, do you have the link for editing ladish studio XML files? I've found nothing useful, and it's handy knowledge even if I don't need it now.

Update: seems the above doesn't wholly fix this, and I still have cases where hardware capture/playback ports aren't visible in Claudia. This seems to happen particularly if I've already started Jack (via Cadence), even if I've then stopped it before moving to Claudia to load and start the whole studio. A solution seems to be running the command 'jack_control exit' in a terminal, which I think stops the whole jackdbus process. No idea why this should be, but possibly if jackdbus and ladishd are running together, there's some sort of clash. (This is with Jack1, but the position might be different with Jack2).