native VST synths/other plugins for Linux ? UPDATE 4/15/2015

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

StudioDave
Established Member

Re: native VST synths for Linux ?

Post by StudioDave »

falkTX wrote:I don't remember the details now, but I had to build a specific thing inside a makefile.
The SVN code includes a Makefile that apparently builds a Linux VST but it doesn't work without a local Faust installation (and perhaps more, but there are no instructions for a Linux VST build).
I lost the source-build, just have the debs now. I can modify things again to make it work as vst. Would that be useful to you?
Please don't concern yourself with it now, but at some time it might be nice to revive the VST. BWS will eventually support LV2 anyway, and I already know how to get BW talking to the outside world so I can always route to the standalone synth

Thanks !

Best,

dp
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

+1 to seeing Mike LinuxDSP write a synth! I don't feel Aspect has any real competition in the area of native Linux VA softsynth plugins and its been this way for years now. I'm sure Mike must've considered it.

I can't wait for Aspect v2. It will be a free upgrade to Aspect v1 owners and sounds like it will include a number of cool new features whilst maintaining its legendarily efficient CPU usage.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Discodsp has now released Discovery Pro for linux (previously, on the Discovery synth) was available for linux). They mention Bitwig & Renoise as being a motivation for this release.

Later... well, I find the Discovery Pro demo will not work in either AVLinux or kxstudio. In AVLinux plugin is not even detected by Ardour3 or Carla, due possibily to a glibc version mis-match (Discovery Pro built with newer version of glibc), and on kxstudio plugin is detected by Carla but won't scan - just hangs. Ardour3 gets hung in the start process. Had to delete the plugin just to get Ardour3 to run. So it seems Discovery Pro needs a bit of work for linux.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Discodsp support told me that Discovery Pro requires it setup folder in either ~/Documents/discoDSP/Discovery Pro 6/ or ~/discoDSP/Discovery Pro 6/ Did this in kxstudio after which Discovery Pro did work in Ardour3, but not in Carla (1.2.4) - plugin "scanned" but was not listed, so I don't know what goes on. At any rate, this appears to be a capable synth and its nice to see it available for linux. Now if the price were a little less steep...
gray
Established Member

Re: native VST synths for Linux ? UPDATE 6/6

Post by gray »

I just signed up to add some help that I would have been glad to google up myself rather than hit against the bricks for so loong! Now I'm signed up I might have a bit of a wander round. I've been working with Linux audio and music for about 7 years now so I suppose I'm in the right place.

keywords are linuxsampler, bitwig, vst plugin disappearing.

linuxsampler does work with bitwig-studio, exactly as described on this thread.

What worked for me was:
Start bitwig, drop your linux-sampler vst plugin into your devices window. Aside: To get your vst plugin to appear in bitwig you will generally have added the plugin location /usr/bin/vst/ for indexing. I used the kxstudio linuxsampler-vst package before building from source myself, when I had some troubles. It turned out the the kxstudio package was not the problem.

So now you should have your plugin instance sitting there in the bitwig devices panel and a little square Xwindow, doing nothing, on top of the bitwig interface. You can close this one.

Now start Qsampler, add a Channel setting your instrument and using Plugin as the Audio and Midi device (or load up a saved QSampler instance you created with this earlier). I am personally playing around with the 1.3GB Salamander piano at http://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/ which is probably a bit over the top! Upon loading or hitting OK on your channel changes it seems you will get an error message but if the instrument starts loading into the channel then you should still be good to go. You can just cancel the error.

Play around on your midi keyboard on bitwig. It seems everything works: velocity, pedal noise, and generally a much better midi recording and sound output interface than anything you've seen on linux before. (As it should be for $500).

Then it stops working. The plugin will no longer show in the VST folder you have added to bitwig.

I built linuxsampler with vst from source which was no easy feat. You have to sign up as a developer at Steinberg for one thing. The whole process of checking out, building with dependencies, getting the vst-sdk, working out the compile flags for linuxsampler etc. took a few hours.

I thought that had done the trick because my linuxsampler.so vst plugin was appearing once again in bitwig. Then it disappeared again. wtf!

Eventually I found the bitwig has a plugin management console in the Options dialog. You can bring up plugin errors, tick linuxsampler and ask for it to be rescanned.

You will probably have to do this regularly as the plugin seems to crash in bitwig and to crash bitwig itself in a few different gnarly ways. I am going to try some communication with the linuxsampler mob about these problems but I won't hold my breath.

Now I've spent my $ on bitwig I can't afford pianoteq which seems a lot more solid than linuxsampler as a vst plugin, and has a whole lot of parameters which can be automated and adjusted dynamically on bitwig - which is nice. The demo of pianoteq is pretty good anyway except you have to delete all your pianoteq plugins and redrop them every twenty minutes. Hopefully restarting bitwig would work as well (I haven't tried this yet) - that way any scripting or recording of midi events related to the pianoteq plugin could be preserved. Also pianoteq has velocity graphs which my cheap weighted Korg keyboard sorely needs.

My next bitwig mission is to find (perhaps create) a velocity graph vst midi plugin so I can get that same pianoteq effect with linux sampler. It really makes my Korg keyboard sound a lot better. Not sure how hard it would be to create or modify a linux vst plugin to do this. It seems none of the existing linux vst plugins can manage it. I'm not sure I really want to go down the Windows-VST via Wine route with my bitwig. If it gets that technical I may as well be back using Ardour, Rosegarden, and all the endless chains of linux apps I was tinkering with before bitwig got me back onto the musical side of playing with computer music.

Anyway, I hope all that is useful for someone in google land.

Thanks for the great thread and I hope this isn't too much of a hijack.
gray
Established Member

Post by gray »

*threadjack
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

gray wrote:playing around with the 1.3GB Salamander piano which is probably a bit over the top!
Try my looped, and greatly smaller version "LittleLizardPiano.zip" at http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

P.S. You can change the velocity sensitivity by editing a .sfz file. Edit it in a text editor. Read under "Amplifier" at http://drealm.info/sfz/plj-sfz.xhtml

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

gray
Established Member

Post by gray »

P.S. You can change the velocity sensitivity by editing a .sfz file. Edit it in a text editor. Read under "Amplifier" at http://drealm.info/sfz/plj-sfz.xhtml
This is a great tip.

It sounds like sfz will make my job very easy:
If the default velocity response curve does not suit and velocity tracking doesn't help, amp_velcurve_# allows specifying the gain at specific velocities (replace # in the opcode by the velocity number, 1 to 127, values range from 0 to 1, with velocity 127 defaulting to 1 and missing opcodes assigned values evenly between those given). A value of "1" applies 0dB of attenuation. A value of "0.5" applies 6dB of attenuation, halving the volume. A value of "0" applies infinite attenuation, resulting in silence.
It won't fill all my needs since my keyboard as a whole has this velocity curve problem and this will only fix it one sfz at a time. But since the linuxsampler pianos will be a big usage area this is still useful.

For some reason this Korg can produce a velocity of 0 but then produces nothing until 25. So I need a velocity run from 25 to 127 to translate to 0-127. After making this adjustment, playing now with the demo of pianoteq, I noticed that if I add a steeper velocity ramp for the 25-90 it sounds more responsive and natural.

Shouldn't be too hard to tune this into the sfz sample.

Thanks for the help.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

gray wrote:For some reason this Korg can produce a velocity of 0 but then produces nothing until 25. So I need a velocity run from 25 to 127 to translate to 0-127. After making this adjustment, playing now with the demo of pianoteq, I noticed that if I add a steeper velocity ramp for the 25-90 it sounds more responsive and natural.
You might look into mididings then. You can filter this data and correct the curve there (make a "custom velocity filter" if you will), then it should work for whatever you connect after that. Then you don't have to try to edit everything one by one. http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
gray
Established Member

Post by gray »

Unfortunately I can't get any sort of non-hardware midi source to feed into Bitwig. This is Bitwig's fault and should be fixed in a subsequent release. People have reported it should be possible to set up a virtual midi device for input with virmidi but I spent a few hours trying to get that working and now I am noticing that no-one who said it is possible actually said they had done it.

I think it's not possible at the moment.

Thanks for the tip anyway. Once Bitwig becomes a fully fledged Jack citizen mididings should be the perfect solution.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

gray wrote:Unfortunately I can't get any sort of non-hardware midi source to feed into Bitwig. This is Bitwig's fault and should be fixed in a subsequent release. People have reported it should be possible to set up a virtual midi device for input with virmidi but I spent a few hours trying to get that working and now I am noticing that no-one who said it is possible actually said they had done it.
http://linux-sound.org/misc/bws-virmidi-in.png
I think it's not possible at the moment.
The screenshot shows Bitwig 1.0.11, Instr 1 track input set to Virmidi Omni, with the ALSA vkeybd connected to the virmidi device in QJackCtl's ALSA connections panel. The virmidi.control.js script is employed. The track contains random notes recorded from poking around on the vkeybd.

Best,

dp
gray
Established Member

Post by gray »

Arr! Evidence someone else succeeded where I failed.

I have pretty much tried every combination I can think of in terms of Jack2 configurations, Alsa and midi combinations etc. I exhausted all the existing google-able threads and info on this topic.

I can get all the the devices to show up: Virmidi - Omni in bitwig, Virtual Raw MIDI in the Qjackctl Connector window (Virtual Raw MIDI 3-0 in my case). I modified the virmidi.js script so it recognises the 'Virtual Raw MIDI 3-0' rather than 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0'. I have confirmed with Gmidiroute jack that I have midi notes coming through as it is getting routed into bitwig 1.0.11. But I just have no midi signals emerging from Virmidi-Omni.

As I said, I was as exhaustive in my experiments (and exhausted as a result today after 2am knock off!).

Any suggestions would be welcome but, until your post, studio dave, I had decided I was not possible and I would just have to wait for further bitwig jack support.

It might be another 2am sleep time tonight damn you!

But in seriousness, at this stage, I have nothing left to try...
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Hey gray,

I wrote a step-by-step last night, hopefully it'll help :

1. Download virmidi.control.js
http://linux-sound.org/misc/virmidi.control.js

2. Install the ALSA virtual MIDI device driver

Code: Select all

modprobe snd-virmidi midi_devs=N
where N equals a number from 1 to 4. I suggest using 1 to shorten the device listing.

3. Start Bitwig and install the virmidi script in the Preferences/Controllers panel. From the script's GUI open each of the drop-down I/O menus and select the first blank selection, i.e. the first selection after None.

4. In an Instrument track select Virmidi Omni as the track input source.

5. Start the ALSA virtual MIDI keyboard

vkeybd --device alsa
6. Connect the MIDI output from vkeybd to the virmidi device input. I use QJackCtl to make my MIDI connections.

7. Arm the track and master record buttons and start recording. Play some notes on the virtual keyboard. They should be recorded in the BW track.

Notes:

This may not work with Jack2, but I'm never completely sure which Jack is which. On my Fedora 19 system I have :

[dlphilp@localhost ~]$ jackd --version
jackdmp 1.9.9.5
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2012 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp version 1.9.9.5 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8
The script will not work if you have the a2jmidid bridge installed (or any other MIDI bridges). I also have no MIDI driver selected in QJackCtl's Setup, I don't know if it matters.

Make sure you use a virtual (or real) keyboard with ALSA MIDI support. JackMIDI isn't supported by the script.

Btw, last night I recorded MIDI output from the CM/GRACE algorithmic composition system into Bitwig. Worked a charm, but alas, so far I've been unable to record MIDI output from Csound, not sure why but I think it might be a Csound issue.

HTH,

dp
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I hope you're working on an eBook of linux audio. I'd shell out a $50.
Or $49, if you used vi in the editing process :wink:
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

glowrak guy wrote:I hope you're working on an eBook of linux audio. I'd shell out a $50.
Or $49, if you used vi in the editing process :wink:
No eBook forthcoming soon. As a matter of fact, I'd like to retire completely from the writing dodge after I finish the next few articles. I just want to *use* the stuff.

To wit: Anders Vinjar announced the availability of OpenMusic 6.9.0 beta for Linux. This may be a significant upgrade, it includes a new mode of behaviour described in "A Reactive Extension of the OpenMusic Visual Programming Language", an article by Jean Bresson and Jean-Louis Giavitto :

http://repmus.ircam.fr/_media/bresson/p ... update.pdf

So today I verified the new feature but didn't test it. Instead I played around with OM's MIDI output routed into Bitwig via the virmidi script. Nice. I've been using various VST synths as sound sources, including the mda synths and a Windows VST called Cyclone, a TX16w emulation in software by the guy who wrote the Typhoon OS, an alternate operating system for the original hardware. I have a bunch of sound files for the TX16w - I owned one in the day - and it's sweet to hear them again. I used the Airwave bridge to create the cyclone.so file.

As I said, I'd rather just use the stuff.

Best,

dp