Questions about using Debian

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aprzekaz
Established Member

Re: Questions about using Debian

Post by aprzekaz »

Just tried the SolydX live DVD. This looks like it's just what I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the business edition only comes in KDE but I prefer xfce. I'll probably go ahead and install it and see how it goes. Just a little worried about switching away from an Ubuntu base since some of the software coming out like Tracktion and Bitwig only "officially" support Ubuntu but it was seeming to get a little bloated for me.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

While your trying out Debian systems.
I have my own little project. It comes with a basic music editor, and with the 64 bit system is comes with lmms, and the basic music editor.
you can run it live via CD, or USB flash-drive. I prefer to run it with the flash drive with home persistence, that way If you do anything you can save it. Doing it all without installing anything to the host computer.
You you can simply install it.
Yes it's so lightweight, it fits on a CD.

http://antix.daveserver.info/music/
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

Eino wrote:While your trying out Debian systems.
I have my own little project. It comes with a basic music editor, and with the 64 bit system is comes with lmms, and the basic music editor.
you can run it live via CD, or USB flash-drive. I prefer to run it with the flash drive with home persistence, that way If you do anything you can save it. Doing it all without installing anything to the host computer.
You you can simply install it.
Yes it's so lightweight, it fits on a CD.

http://antix.daveserver.info/music/
Does your distro come with guitarix or any other amp modeling programs, drum machine, synth and other plug ins or just lmms?
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

You will need to add the other apps, I wanted it light enough to work, and fit on a CD.
also antix has a variety of kernels, to choose from depending on your hardware needs.
The default on this one is modified 3.7.10, it seems to work the best with some newer computers, along with computer that are about five years old. Looking for the day to replace, Windows XP with a Linux alternative. .

Here is the list of software. included in the distro.
aconnectgui
audacity
fluid-soundfont-gm
lmms
nted
nted-doc
soundconverter
timidity
timidity-daemon
timidity-interfaces-extra
clementine
gtick
qjackctl
vkeybd
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

I'm currently trying out SolydX and it seems they are on top of their game so far. It hasn't done the "mouse freeze" thing that I seem to get with Mint and they had all dependencies for the Tracktion installer to work perfectly. So far so good. I think I might put the KX and Tango Studio repositories on it too. Is their anything else I am missing(or should do)?
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I would back port KX studio repositories, then just add the programs that I want, and need.
After I have it set the way I want it. I would go back to the original distro repositories for the usual updates.
John Lennon

DanielD
Established Member

Post by DanielD »

Everything works great here with Crunchbang Waldorf and KXStudios repos.
Anyone managed to get wine-rt and wineasio from KXStudios Debian repos, or we have to wait ?
DanielD
Established Member

Post by DanielD »

It is marked as broken in Synaptic. On Mint 16 too, but only after I updated the system right after a fresh install. It seems wine-rt-amd64 asks for an older version of libgphoto on Mint.
DanielD
Established Member

Post by DanielD »

Code: Select all

L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation : 

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
 wine-rt-amd64 : Dépend: libgphoto2-2 (>= 2.4.10.1) mais il n'est pas installable
                 Dépend: libgphoto2-port0 (>= 2.4.10.1) mais il n'est pas installable
                 Dépend: wine-rt:any (= 1:1.6.2-1~kxstudio1)
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».
Mint 16 Ubuntu based
DanielD
Established Member

Post by DanielD »

Ubuntu 13.10

I did exactly this :
Ubuntu users can also install deb files for the repositories, but different files are needed for each version.
As such, we recommend you to enable the repositories using the command-line instead. Just follow these steps:

# Install needed tools
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common wget

# Enable KXStudio repo (press 'Enter' once asked)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kxstudio-debian/kxstudio

# Update software sources
sudo apt-get update

# Install kxstudio-repos
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-repos

# Update software sources again
sudo apt-get update
As I said, on a fresh install it works flawlessly, and I was able to test Reaper. I did those steps after the system upgrade, no particular reason. I get the error above.