Questions about using Debian

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rms13
Established Member

Questions about using Debian

Post by rms13 »

I've been testing different distros on my laptop. I use the laptop for many things not just music. For music I am mainly interested in using it as a practice rig for my bass with guitarix/rakarack and having another software to do some simple recordings of bass /drum machine.

I've settled on Debian Wheezy with xfce for now for overall stability and performance. My one hurdle is that I would really like to be able to play my bass and listen to youtube at the same time so I can play along to lessons. The only way I have found to do that is with Cadence but KXStudio caused some other performance issues with my laptop. I tried Linux Mint and adding KXStudio repo and Cadence but it caused major Jack issues where Jack just wouldn't start or run as soon as I installed Cadence and I also lost all audio on the laptop.

Is there anyone using Debian and Cadence? I would like to know if that is a stable option before I mess around. If not I am fine living with not having youtube and Jack at the same time
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: Questions about using Debian

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Yeah, it's great!

You can also use SMTube and configure Mplayer to use Jack https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MP ... CK_support then not have to use the alsa bridge for YouTube videos. VLC also has a Jack plugin. I hardly ever use the alsa bridge.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

AnthonyCFox wrote:Yeah, it's great!

You can also use SMTube and configure Mplayer to use Jack https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MP ... CK_support then not have to use the alsa bridge for YouTube videos. VLC also has a Jack plugin. I hardly ever use the alsa bridge.
Cool, thanks for the tip!
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Oh, hey!

I just discovered that you can play YouTube videos in VLC also. I've been using VLC for podcasts, because it's easy to copy a url then in VLC just ctl-v to paste and it will play. With SMTube you have to use the search within the app to find videos.

VLC doesn't come with Jack support though, you need to install the plugin from the repos then enable it in preferences.

I love VLC! :lol:
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

AnthonyCFox wrote:Oh, hey!

I just discovered that you can play YouTube videos in VLC also. I've been using VLC for podcasts, because it's easy to copy a url then in VLC just ctl-v to paste and it will play. With SMTube you have to use the search within the app to find videos.

VLC doesn't come with Jack support though, you need to install the plugin from the repos then enable it in preferences.

I love VLC! :lol:
Thanks. I also love VLC. That's my default player and even my player of choice at work on Windows. I will install the plug in
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Have you already test libflashsupport-jack?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

khz wrote:Have you already test libflashsupport-jack?

No but I will. Thanks. For some reason I can't get youtube videos to play through VLC. I have another computer running CentOS as a server and tested it there and it does work there. weird
lazyklimm
Established Member

Post by lazyklimm »

I use Debian Sid with kxstudio repos, almost everything's fine
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

I use Debian wheezy repositories myself with my own little project.
My music editor that I use, the most is LMMS.
Here is the system stats on an old computer, that I use a lot for making and editing music.

Code: Select all

inxi -F
System:    Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.7-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_x64-music Luddite 12 January 2014
Machine:   System: Compaq Presario 061 product: ER919AA-ABA SR1820NX NA620 version: 0nx1411RE101NAGAM00
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: NAGAMI version: 1.02 Bios: Phoenix version: 3.11 date: 09/19/2006
CPU:       Single core AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 1000.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1024x768@75.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150 LE/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.117
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-antix.7-amd64-smp
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver: forcedeth 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:17:31:10:58:e8
           Card-2: Ralink RT2800 802.11n PCI driver: rt2800pci 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 68:1c:a2:04:21:cc
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (0.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3750528AS size: 750.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 47G used: 2.6G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 86 Uptime: 29 min Memory: 335.9/2950.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

https://soundcloud.com/eino1953
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Did you solve this stuff with the youtube problem? I'm thinking of using debian xfce with KX repos if it works well. Either that or Mint xfce. Which is advisable?
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

aprzekaz wrote:Did you solve this stuff with the youtube problem? I'm thinking of using debian xfce with KX repos if it works well. Either that or Mint xfce. Which is advisable?
Take a look at SolydX. It's Debian testing with Xfce. The dev was a long time Mint forum member and he made LMDE versions for KDE and Xfce for the forum members there. Then when he realized Mint wasn't going to make them part of the distro he made SolydXK. I'm using SolydK, the KDE version and it's great. I know it's possible, and not very difficult, to have youtube with jack in debian as I've done it before. I don't remember how, it seems like it just worked with alsa-jack loop iirc.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

SolydX is based on Debian testing.If you prefer their "version" of Debian and want 'stable'; then I think it would be easiest to install their Business edition. It is based on 'stable' not 'testing'. Play around with install/delete apps until you are happy with the mix.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it. "
John Lennon

aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Just tried the SolydX live DVD. This looks like it's just what I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up. It looks like the business edition only comes in KDE but I prefer xfce. I'll probably go ahead and install it and see how it goes. Just a little worried about switching away from an Ubuntu base since some of the software coming out like Tracktion and Bitwig only "officially" support Ubuntu but it was seeming to get a little bloated for me.
Eino
Established Member

Post by Eino »

While your trying out Debian systems.
I have my own little project. It comes with a basic music editor, and with the 64 bit system is comes with lmms, and the basic music editor.
you can run it live via CD, or USB flash-drive. I prefer to run it with the flash drive with home persistence, that way If you do anything you can save it. Doing it all without installing anything to the host computer.
You you can simply install it.
Yes it's so lightweight, it fits on a CD.

http://antix.daveserver.info/music/
John Lennon

rms13
Established Member

Post by rms13 »

Eino wrote:While your trying out Debian systems.
I have my own little project. It comes with a basic music editor, and with the 64 bit system is comes with lmms, and the basic music editor.
you can run it live via CD, or USB flash-drive. I prefer to run it with the flash drive with home persistence, that way If you do anything you can save it. Doing it all without installing anything to the host computer.
You you can simply install it.
Yes it's so lightweight, it fits on a CD.

http://antix.daveserver.info/music/
Does your distro come with guitarix or any other amp modeling programs, drum machine, synth and other plug ins or just lmms?