How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Walnutcracker
Established Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby Walnutcracker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I have a few amp modellers that i would like to capture the speaker cabinet emulations as impulse responses. What software under Linux could i use to create the impulse responses?

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby ssj71 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 pm

There's a program called qloud http://www.gaydenko.com/qloud/ I've used it. It will create an impulse response. Its fairly straightforward if you are familiar with IR work.
Another one is Aliki from Fons. http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/ Haven't used it, but if its from Fons, its good. :)

Guitarix may have something too but I'm not sure there.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:23 am

ssj71 wrote:Guitarix may have something too but I'm not sure there.


Yes, guitarix have a tool called specmatch, which generate IR-files by spectral analysis.
http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... b4bd48fdb1
On the road again.

Walnutcracker
Established Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:24 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby Walnutcracker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:25 am

Thank you both for the recommendations. I will look into them :)

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby funkmuscle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:51 pm

tramp wrote:
ssj71 wrote:Guitarix may have something too but I'm not sure there.


Yes, guitarix have a tool called specmatch, which generate IR-files by spectral analysis.
http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... b4bd48fdb1


hey tramp, specmatch makes really nice sounding IR for Guitarix but to use it with my hardware preamp it didn't sound good. Andreas and brummer said it's made to match Guitarix sounds only from what I remember. This is going back to when you first mentioned it. Has that changed?

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:54 pm

funkmuscle wrote:hey tramp, specmatch makes really nice sounding IR for Guitarix but to use it with my hardware preamp it didn't sound good. Andreas and brummer said it's made to match Guitarix sounds only from what I remember. This is going back to when you first mentioned it. Has that changed?


Don't know, but you have a command-line option --no-guitarix.
I guess it depend much on how you mic your amp (you must make sure that it don't clip), you must set the noise level, and the length for the IR-file, correct. As well, without using guitarix for pre-processing, you can only produce IR's for clean tones.
I've used it with and without guitarix, and I'm very suited with the resulting IR's. But indeed, special when use it with guitarix, it reminds me all the time on the kemper amp modeler.
On the road again.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby funkmuscle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:17 pm

tramp wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:hey tramp, specmatch makes really nice sounding IR for Guitarix but to use it with my hardware preamp it didn't sound good. Andreas and brummer said it's made to match Guitarix sounds only from what I remember. This is going back to when you first mentioned it. Has that changed?


Don't know, but you have a command-line option --no-guitarix.
I guess it depend much on how you mic your amp (you must make sure that it don't clip), you must set the noise level, and the length for the IR-file, correct. As well, without using guitarix for pre-processing, you can only produce IR's for clean tones.
I've used it with and without guitarix, and I'm very suited with the resulting IR's. But indeed, special when use it with guitarix, it reminds me all the time on the kemper amp modeler.



yeah it was the clean tones I was after. wasn't using a mic'd amp but a wav sample I found that I liked.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:00 pm

funkmuscle wrote:yeah it was the clean tones I was after. wasn't using a mic'd amp but a wav sample I found that I liked.


Well, what should I say, I do the same, and it worked great for me. What did you use as reference file? Is hard to say what goes wrong with this less information. Maybe you must cut the file (set the range for the original file), maybe you must normalize it first (avoid clipping), maybe you must lower the gain of the reference file, maybe . . .
You could as well try the other mentioned options, but according to the user manuals, I guess aliki wouldn't work for this purpose, as it work with generated sweep signals, and is dedicated to generate room impulses.
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/aliki-manual.pdf
QLoud have the main purpose to measure a loudspeaker frequency, and use as well sweep signals.
On the road again.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby funkmuscle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:03 pm

tramp wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:yeah it was the clean tones I was after. wasn't using a mic'd amp but a wav sample I found that I liked.


Well, what should I say, I do the same, and it worked great for me. What did you use as reference file? Is hard to say what goes wrong with this less information. Maybe you must cut the file (set the range for the original file), maybe you must normalize it first (avoid clipping), maybe you must lower the gain of the reference file, maybe . . .
You could as well try the other mentioned options, but according to the user manuals, I guess aliki wouldn't work for this purpose, as it work with generated sweep signals, and is dedicated to generate room impulses.
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/aliki-manual.pdf
QLoud have the main purpose to measure a loudspeaker frequency, and use as well sweep signals.


most likely it was me screwing up. :mrgreen:

will try it again.

DepreTux
Established Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby DepreTux » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi!

has anyone got specmatch running? When I launch it from console:

Code: Select all

$ specmatch --no-guitarix

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/specmatch/ui.py", line 632, in on_generate_ir
    self.calc.sound  # side-effect
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/specmatch/spectrum.py", line 455, in sound
    rlen = len(self.a2)+len(self.ir)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/specmatch/spectrum.py", line 431, in ir
    self.ir_smoother = SmoothedIR(self.f1, self.f2, self.cutoff, self.rate)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/specmatch/spectrum.py", line 149, in __init__
    f = self.startslope(sqm, x, p)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/specmatch/spectrum.py", line 161, in startslope
    x1 = x[p+1]
IndexError: index out of bounds

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

try a shorter sound snippet or select a part in the range around 00:10.0 from the "Original Sound"


note that the compare button wouldn’t show the result when the --no-guitarix option is set.
You can only check the plot in specmatch.
To check the result you need to deploy the ir-file and load it into your convolver of choice.
On the road again.

DepreTux
Established Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby DepreTux » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 pm

actually the file i'm using is 0.8 seconds long.

The error comes up whenever I try to plot or generate an IR. The gui buttons get grayed, the status bar says "minimum phase filter".

I just realised that the terminal from which i launch X11 also spits an error message similar to the previous one that in the end says " runtime error, can't connect to guitarix".

Also, when I launch specmatch without the "no-guitarix" argument, guitarix launchs but says "failed to create avahi client: daemon not running." is the avahi daemon necessary for this?

DepreTux
Established Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:36 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby DepreTux » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 pm

alright, I opened gutiarix first, then specmatch and now it goes through.

Is there a way to change the dark skin? It doesn't let me see which buttons are pressed.

Thanks!

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:21 am

DepreTux wrote:Is there a way to change the dark skin? It doesn't let me see which buttons are pressed.


Style is hard-coded, to change/remove it you need to edit the source.
file specmatch/ui.py line 412 <-> 447 define the style, line 107 (self.set_color()) set the style.
To use the system default style, just comment line 107 out (#self.set_color())
or edit the style in line 412 <-> 447 to your choice.
On the road again.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: How do i create impulse responses in Linux?

Postby tramp » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:39 pm

DepreTux wrote:alright, I opened gutiarix first, then specmatch and now it goes through.


If it was the first time, you run guitarix, then it makes sense, as specmatch, use the guitarix configuration folder (~/.config/guitarix), to save it's own configuration (oh, surprise :) ), so, it at least indeed depend on guitarix, but, after that, it should run as well, without starting guitarix.
However, you could disable the guitarix amp in the tube menu, unload any effect, and use guitarix as a plain convolution engine, to make use of the compare button.
On the road again.


Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexTheBassist and 1 guest