openartist

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

openartist

Post by tatch »

http://openartisthq.org/ I read about this today, doesn't look like it's ever been mentioned here. Has all kxstudio stuff and the non* stuff too, and a ridiculous amount of other software as well.
male
Established Member

Re: openartist

Post by male »

Huh. Never heard of it.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote: But, it seems yet another distro that does things the way I dislike, that is, self-centered "install-this-as-your-full-system".
It would be much better if it shared all resources so that anyone could "upgrade" a random Ubuntu install to it, instead of having to install an ISO from scratch (or even just pick random packages from it).
Ouch! :lol:
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

That's one hell of a list of included applications! There is so much choice for everything it is almost like a multi-media reference list. In fact, I checked out and installed a couple while looking over it.

It might be a very good distribution for those to whom other aspects of multi-media are more important than audio: just about everything from writing to cine has a host of tools. But then, a person will install the tools they need for their craft anyway. Only a beginner (or a fiddler, like me!) will want to dip in to everything available.

Anyway, my bottom line for myself or for recommendation, is that for anyone who has audio requirements over and above the most basic media-player/common-interface consumer situation, KXStudio's JACK management tools are the only way to go. I see the KX' stuff there, but is it at the core of the audio system, I wonder.

Ridiculous amount of software, yes; huge amount of text on the site, yes. The latter is, at least, for me, no bad thing!

Anyway: good luck to them! The only distributions I have some suspicion of (and, of course, it may be unfair and unjustified) are those who fly the audiophile flag. Any day, I'd rather go for stuff that gets the approval of studio/music people, whose requirements tend to more real-world.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:
GMaq wrote:
falkTX wrote: But, it seems yet another distro that does things the way I dislike, that is, self-centered "install-this-as-your-full-system".
It would be much better if it shared all resources so that anyone could "upgrade" a random Ubuntu install to it, instead of having to install an ISO from scratch (or even just pick random packages from it).
Ouch! :lol:
Well, AVLinux does provide update packages which anyone can pick (I don't use them myself because they are only 32bit, and I run 64bit).
There's also the driver install scripts and other resources in there which I hope to give a look soon, so on that you're much better than many many others out there.

I just feel like, in a small community like ours, sharing work and resources should be common-sense.
You know I'm all up for you using my resources and vice-versa :D
Hi,

Believe me I agree with you that the more open-ended things are the more potential benefit to more users, because now Linux Audio is more mainstream than it was 5 years ago things have improved exponentially to supplement specialized packaging for mainline distros like Ubuntu, there is no question you have done a more than amazing job on this. I can't speak for openartist but I don't think it is about 'self-centeredness' as much as just having a predictable reliable product and having as much control as possible over how successfully it works for your potential user. Historically there are precendents for both kinds of projects (ie self-contained and open-ended). When I started Ubuntu had broken RT Kernels, broken Ardour packaging and truthfully was a hell of a mess and Debian itself was miles behind on Multimedia packaging so I found the best way forward for a part-time project was to make it self-contained and therefore have control over more variables, in the meantime times have changed and things have gotten much better thankfully for the benefit of others. I think you should take pride in your accomplishments but there are logical reasons for the decisions others make rather than selfishness. If it was about 'me' AV Linux would have a DE, Ardour and Hydrogen...that's it! :wink: :D
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

falkTX wrote:
Thad E Ginathom wrote:That's one hell of a list of included applications! There is so much choice for everything it is almost like a multi-media reference list. In fact, I checked out and installed a couple while looking over it.
I think that list is the ones that are installable, not the ones that come pre-installed in the ISO ...

Oh yes! Could be. I was wondering just how big the install image was going to be! :shock: :mrgreen:
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

OpenArtist is very interesting, as it includes software that I could ever need out of the box except for the ones that need to be installed. This includes LuxRender, although I could have asked where to put LuxRender in Blender's directory. I'd rather do apt-get install luxrender, but it's not in the Ubuntu repositories.

There are some other software that I have not come across. I'm willing to check them out, but I love Ubuntu Unity and I love Cadence (thank you, FalkTX!) for Jack+aloop+a2j+PulseAudio management.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

perhaps the openartist maintainer would be interested in combining his efforts with another existing media distro.