how to run Windows program in Wine?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

leokin
Established Member

how to run Windows program in Wine?

Postby leokin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:11 am

I've been trying different Ubu distros about a year now. My hobbies are music (jazz guitar) and photography. I'm loving Ubuntu Studio!!
My setup is Ubuntu 12.04 precise 64 bit...Kernel Linux 3.2.0-54 low latency...Gnome 3.4.2
2 SATA300 GB hard drives...dual core INTEL 5.8 MB and 3.73 Ghz...able to run RAID (once I get educated the best way to do that if it would be beneficial).

My question is does anyone have some links/suggestions as to how best run Windows programs in my Linux setup?
Specifically I'm thinking of buying 2 programs written for Windows and Mac: Chris Standring's course on jazz/chord melody tutorials, and Hal Leonard's Real Books
DVD study course at http://www.realbooksoftware.com/.

~Leo

dednikko
Established Member

Re: how to run Windows program in Wine?

Postby dednikko » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 am

The "best" way is to use Wine, assuming the programs you are buying actually work in Wine.

If they are simple programs and do not rely on a lot of windows specific bits (as in their code is mostly self contained) then you should have no worries.

There is, of course, no guarantee that this will work.

What I recommend if you MUST MUST MUST have windows software tahat will not work in Wine is to dual boot windows and linux. It's the only way to know that the software will actually work for you. If you do not want to have to dual boot, I recommend installing windows within Ubuntu using virtualbox. The performance won't be as good as having a separate windows install, but it can sometimes get around compatability issues when running Wine.
Think like a gun.

leokin
Established Member

Postby leokin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 am

Can I run Wine without Windows? I guess I should educate myself on "Wine" and "Virtualbox"
Thank you sir! ~Leo

StudioDave
Established Member

Postby StudioDave » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm

leokin wrote:Can I run Wine without Windows? I guess I should educate myself on "Wine" and "Virtualbox"

If you want to use Wine you don't need a copy of Windows.

If you want to use VirtualBox you'll need a real copy of Windows.

But you should still do some study on the two. :)

Best,

dp

leokin
Established Member

Postby leokin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Now my concept of how to deal with my issue is even clearer! Thank you all.
-Leo

Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”