Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch subs?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

schivmeister
Established Member

Re: Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch s

Post by schivmeister »

funkmuscle wrote:That is also another reason the arch pro-audio went stale as no one really had issues with the distro that uses it.
That. But in addition, it's because no-one has stepped up to package stuff (since they would rather simply makepkg than go through a cumbersome Subversion dance), and active packagers have disappeared over the years. I still do maintain the packaging infrastructure, and the admin has been generous with storage and bandwidth for years.

However, packages are not the only purpose of the project. It has a forum because it hopes to give users like us a platform to get together and discuss. Quite possibly, it's because of the lack of packages that people don't bother registering with yet another website. I had also written down some interim guidelines for hopeful packagers. [1]

The official Arch Linux repos do contain the majority of pro-audio software (maintained by myself and Speps), but there are possibly dozens of other things we're missing (due to low usage, absence of buildscripts, etc), that could go into a dedicated pro-audio repo (look at the lists of CCRMA and Gentoo Proaudio).

But in general, for Arch Linux pro-audio support/chitchat (inclusive of music and engineering), you have the following channels:

* Arch Linux Forums - Multimedia Section (general)
* ArchAudio Forums (dedicated)
* ArchAudio Mailing List
* [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/archaudio]Arch Linux Pro Audio & ArchAudio IRC Chat[/url]

So, there is no need for a (sub-)forum anywhere else :)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchAudio
Last edited by schivmeister on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

schivmeister wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:That is also another reason the arch pro-audio went stale as no one really had issues with the distro that uses it.
That. But in addition, it's because no-one has stepped up to package stuff (since they would rather simply makepkg than go through a cumbersome Subversion dance), and active packagers have disappeared over the years. I still do maintain the packaging infrastructure, and the admin has been generous with storage and bandwidth for years.

However, packages are not the only purpose of the project. It has a forum because it hopes to give users like us a platform to get together and discuss. Quite possibly, it's because of the lack of packages that people don't bother registering with yet another website. I had also written down some interim guidelines for hopeful packagers. [1]

The official Arch Linux repos do contain the majority of pro-audio software (maintained by myself and Speps), but there are possibly dozens of other things we're missing (due to low usage, absence of buildscripts, etc), that could go into a dedicated pro-audio repo (look at the lists of CCRMA and Gentoo Proaudio).

But in general, for Arch Linux pro-audio support/chitchat (inclusive of music and engineering), you have the following channels:

* Arch Linux Forums - Multimedia Section (general)
* ArchAudio Forums (dedicated)
* #archaudio@Freenode.IRC

So, there is no need for a (sub-)forum anywhere else :)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchAudio
yep Schiv, you and Speps are great at updating packages in AUR.. thanx you guys again.. and I think the 3 pro-audio are still kind of active as I've received the latest rt kernel a week ago through one.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

funkmuscle wrote:yep Schiv, you and Speps are great at updating packages in AUR.. thanx you guys again.. and I think the 3 pro-audio are still kind of active as I've received the latest rt kernel a week ago through one.
You're welcome, and Joakim Hernberg (JackWinter/jhernberg) is the only one who uploads binaries now (of the kernel). He's also the upstream co-maintainer of wineasio. I'll probably scrap my unrealised idea of several distinct repos. Anyway, you're one of the few Arch audio/music folks who's still around, so come lurk in #archaudio sometimes ;)
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Will do.