Is there an app...?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

briandc
Established Member

Is there an app...?

Post by briandc »

...that lays out any synth's patch configuration data in a simple text format? (list of osc, filter, env, etc. data)

It would be a neat way for people to "dump" their patch info unto a file that could be posted; that way anyone could try to reproduce the patch on other synths that have the same capabilities..

Anything like that available?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
werock
Established Member

Re: Is there an app...?

Post by werock »

I would guess that each synth's parameters respond in a different way, which would make this quite hard to do, and make the numbers quite meaningless. As an example, one synth might have a maximum attack time of 10 seconds, and another synth a maximum of 15 seconds. If you read a file that has a value of, say, 7 for Attack, you would get quite different results on the 2 synths. Not to mention things like different filter types (LP, BP, 12db, 24db etc.).
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

werock wrote:I would guess that each synth's parameters respond in a different way, which would make this quite hard to do, and make the numbers quite meaningless. As an example, one synth might have a maximum attack time of 10 seconds, and another synth a maximum of 15 seconds. If you read a file that has a value of, say, 7 for Attack, you would get quite different results on the 2 synths. Not to mention things like different filter types (LP, BP, 12db, 24db etc.).
True. I suppose each synth would need to have a "key" to explain the file output..

In general, I *think* most synths have a way to dump patch information to a computer. Even if the values were different, at least people could try different setting.
For example, I remember on my Casio CZ1000 that there were 8 envelope stages, with level and rate values of 0 to 99. So, if a person knew more or less that they were dealing with these values (ie browsing a manual), then a value of 99 would be equivalent to "max" on any synth you choose. 50 would be equivalent to half, 0 to minimum.

In other words, if you know *any* info about the synth itself, the parameter info should make sense.

I think it would be really cool to have an app like this. It would make patch sharing from many hardware synths possible.

brian
hitittome873
Established Member

Post by hitittome873 »

this is actually a really good idea...all you would need to do is take the fraction of the values in your synth preset values and store them as percentages in a file then transfer them to a different synth using percentages rather than raw values. like what you were saying with the casio cz1000 0-99 thing. this would probably make it a little less accurate if the parameters only go to say 7 and the percentage came just under 0.5 (<=0.4) and it might round to 0 but you would want it at one...not sure if the math would actually allow that situation but it would definitely have to round to some of the intermediate range values.
Electro, Dubstep, and EDM producer, fan, and beginner dj... CET bachelors in progress@DeVry
listen/follow me on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/michael-harrison-7
FL Studio 10. Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Ubuntu 12.04. Asus N56VJ-DH71. Mac/Apple hater ;)
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

hitittome873 wrote:this is actually a really good idea...all you would need to do is take the fraction of the values in your synth preset values and store them as percentages in a file then transfer them to a different synth using percentages rather than raw values. like what you were saying with the casio cz1000 0-99 thing. this would probably make it a little less accurate if the parameters only go to say 7 and the percentage came just under 0.5 (<=0.4) and it might round to 0 but you would want it at one...not sure if the math would actually allow that situation but it would definitely have to round to some of the intermediate range values.
Exactly! :)
Boy how I WISH I was a programmer....

I'd be willing to help out any way I can to get it started, if someone's interested. It'd look good for the linux community, too! ;)

I know there is what they call "sys ex" data that a synth can transfer to a PC. But I don't know if all synths do this, or just newer ones. And I don't know if that sys ex information would be useful, or what..

brian
hitittome873
Established Member

Post by hitittome873 »

yea i'm sort of a beginner programmer and pretty much only know c and c++ but I need to start learning other languages and how to use libraries so i could start writing code for some of the awesome ideas like this one.

I use fl studio and mainly massive and sytrus since you can pretty much make any sounds you want with that duo...i was thinking of trying to transfer to some different software (linux native) cause i hate having to mess with wineasio and cpu spikes in fl. but that would require me basically remaking all of the custom presets i've made for myself in those plugins which would seriously take forever and probably still wouldn't sound the same.

...butttt if something like this could be used it would be a lot easier to transfer at least the base sounds and the personalities of the synths (i.e. attack, release, sustain, chorus, wave shapes, etc.)

im pretty good at math and figuring out how to implement problems like this but my knowledge of actually writing the code is holding me back, but I would love to be in on this if someone wanted to jump start it
Electro, Dubstep, and EDM producer, fan, and beginner dj... CET bachelors in progress@DeVry
listen/follow me on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/michael-harrison-7
FL Studio 10. Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Ubuntu 12.04. Asus N56VJ-DH71. Mac/Apple hater ;)