Distro Comparison, Benchmarking, Latency

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Distro Comparison, Benchmarking, Latency

Post by Capoeira »

i2productions wrote:To me, it gives me an idea of what a studio in RAM
you can have that on your deb based instal: https://github.com/wor/goanysync
or on ArchLinux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/An ... ync-daemon

just sync /usr/bin to ram with the software

EDIT: I guess you have to sync more than just /usr/bin???
anyways, you can sync anything you like with the software

If you try it, you could report the "performance boost" of Jack in this thread: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10039
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

also there is e4rat, a more automated ram loader http://e4rat.sourceforge.net/

if you already use systemd, it also got a preload function to speed up boot.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I know it's possible to tweek the current distros for --toram but I don't really see the point in going through what I would assume is a configuration nightmare for it. But since someone else has already saved me the trouble, I'll take a look. My initial impressions on Studio 4 are mixed. The JWM DE is the thing that has killed all of puppy for me from the begining. Truely unintuitive design. Hard to find where to change settings, and the most of the setup tools are either command line or semi-graphical. I could not get it to recognize my 2 monitors, and couldn't get it to display more than 1024x768 on my 1360x768 monitor, the native resolution kept failing to display. That's all basic stuff that has worked out of the box of every other distro I have tried. But now, to the audio stuff I'm sure you're all wondering about. I ran the "famous hydrogen test" at 64 buffer size recording 2 minutes of a hydrogen drum track run through rakarrack and into an Ardour stereo track. 0 Xruns. Seems to be a fairly good distro for latency but I just couldn't use that god aweful JWM desktop for everyday work(I mean seriously, there lightweight like LXDE and then there's rediculous. Might as well be running pure X :lol: )
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

That's not jwm. It's IceWM, you insensitive clod.

As for the latency, of course it's good. It's not as good as Studio 13.37, but it's still better than the rest. And it came out before AV Linux 6 or the newer versions of Ubuntu Studio, etc.

But there's always been Puppy Studio 3.3-rt for people to try. In fact, I hear there's been a lot of download traffic from right here at LinuxMusicians.com.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Forgive me for not knowing the difference between those two useless DE's. I paid you a compliment about your distro, it's good for audio work, just a mess to work with, and if 13.37 is the same, then a mess to work with!
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

My customized IceWM kicks the sh*t out of Unity, and I've received zero complaints about it, only praise.

Enjoy your spyware DE.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

l0wt3ch wrote:My customized IceWM kicks the sh*t out of Unity. Enjoy your spyware DE.
Yes and no. Is it more suited to audio work, yeah sure, less overhead. Is it easy and intuitive, NOT A CHANCE! Though I've only ever tested Unity, and never used it day to day because it does suck. So if a Cairo-dock session on top of Gnome is spyware, SIGN ME UP!

All I'm saying is that it's definitely not something I would recommend to a first time windows convert. It took me 5 minutes to find the task manager in this convoluted system. I want to like your distro, my initial tests show it to be pretty good for audio, I just can't take it seriously with that DE. I understand you want to make it lightweight and to work on a wide variety of systems, but I feel like I'm using an unintuitive version of windows 3.1, at the very least I totally feel like the DE is out of the 90's. Enlightment of LXDE, IMHO, would be easier for a new user to understand and use.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

If they're biased, then explain 2 things, why did i start by saying:
i2productions wrote: I want to like your distro
and why am I currently typing this on my new Arch install, that I'm starting to think will take over as my primary studio distro?

I'm always open to new things as long as they make my audio experience easier/better.
l0wt3ch wrote:A typical Windows user shouldn't have to adjust any settings
Really? Let's start with it being the only distro I've ever started that wouldn't use both my monitors let alone not being able to do something as simple as extend to its 1360x768 native resolution. Instead I'm stuck with a full screen desktop on one of 2 widescreen monitors. The first thing I wanted to do, to test a serious project was import a large ardour project I have, with lots of samples and processing. I also make extensive use of Reason 5, via wineasio. Know you already have it in there, ready to go I didn't think I'd have any issues. One of the only bugs in using Reason via wine is that when you first install it, the splash screen covers up the serial entry/registry screen. So I have to go to a task manager, and look at which process needs to be killed(I know it's the reason.exe that is 1.2meg bigger). So I shouldn't have to spend 5 minutes just to find a semi-graphical task manager that didn't even help me. That's just a few examples of a windows user needing to change settings, and I only played with it for 20 minutes.

Despite everything we've debated on here in the past, I'm really just trying to help you here. But if you wana keep being an asshat about this whole thing I can just start slamming it full out again, and chasing you around the internet warning people on other message boards about your "used car salesman" techniques? Which would you prefer? Friend or fo?
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

That's hilarious, i2productions.

Who needs two monitors for audio work? Multiple workspaces isn't good enough for you? If that's your biggest complaint, then, as far as I'm concerned, you don't have much to complain about.

As for you "going all over Internet" slandering me and my distro, yes, you did that. You even wrote a negative so-called "review" of Studio 4 without having tried it, and posted it on your so-called "reviewer website". Now you actually have the product, and know I was telling the truth the whole time, and instead of apologizing, threaten to slander me some more.

I hope everyone who visits this forum knows that the people running it are completely biased. That they continue to tolerate your kind of hateful little comments - but delete my positive ones - shows the real character of this so-called "forum".
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

l0wt3ch wrote:Who needs two monitors for audio work?
Anyone that wants to do serious work! I used to have a 4 monitor setup. And I never said your distro was bad. All I've ever done is strike down your sales pitches. Never said it would be bad, just that it wouldn't be any better than the rest. And I need to do some more testing, but here's my initial observations: It probably is the best live-media distro I've ever used. But installed it pretty much stacks up with all the others(with less software, crappy system tools, and what I'm going to assume from your comment above that it for some reason is difficult to change monitors and resolution!)
l0wt3ch wrote:Now you actually have the product, and know I was telling the truth the whole time, and instead of apologizing, threaten to slander me some more.
I know you were telling the truth about it being a good live media, but once installed like the rest, it's lacking. And for the first time in 2 years of sparing with you, I'm coming out with positive stuff and constructive critisism, and rather than taking it and working with it, you come back with more asshatery! You just don't know a good thing when you see it.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

l0wt3ch wrote:I hope everyone who visits this forum knows that the people running it are completely biased
Are you accusing me here? I don't see how I'm "biased" here (though indeed I generally prefer completely open distro's to paid-for ones. Also I try to keep the forum friendly and constructive, which for some reason seems to be a challenge in most threads you're involved in - but that has little to do with your distro...).
l0wt3ch wrote:That they continue to tolerate your kind of hateful little comments - but delete my positive ones - shows the real character of this so-called "forum".
I assume you're referring to me deleting your 'Airwaves' thread? I found nothing positive or constructive there.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Yes, you. And Nathan, too.

Obviously.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Do you hear yourself? I demand attention or else!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

I've found most of this thread unenjoyable, but I noticed that nothing in the FAQ appears to specifically prohibit advertising, nor does it define when a poster is spamming-by-advertisement :

"Posting Issues
How do I post a topic in a forum?
How do I edit or delete a post?
How do I add a signature to my post?
How do I create a poll?
Why can’t I add more poll options?
How do I edit or delete a poll?
Why can’t I access a forum?
Why can’t I add attachments?
Why did I receive a warning?
How can I report posts to a moderator?
What is the “Save” button for in topic posting?
Why does my post need to be approved?
How do I bump my topic? "

However, this is grey enough I guess:

"Why did I receive a warning?
Each board administrator has their own set of rules for their site. If you have broken a rule, you may be issued a warning. Please note that this is the board administrator’s decision, and the phpBB Group has nothing to do with the warnings on the given site. Contact the board administrator if you are unsure about why you were issued a warning."

So, perhaps the board maintainers and/or membership should declare and sticky-post more specific guidelines for product announcements ?

Best,

dp
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Erm, to respond pragmatically to one of the comments, i am using a single 42" monitor, with 8 workspaces, and a set of bindings to whizz from one to another. I do this fulltime, have named the workspaces, for additional clarification, and have no problem using this setup at all. Previous experience with multiple monitors didn't offer any appreciable advantage in my particular workflow.

Multiple workspaces in Linux is a powerful tool of use, and lends itself to complex professional workflow without requiring multiple screens, imho, and based on my own experience.

Alex.