Virtualbox Won't Let Me Install

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

Virtualbox Won't Let Me Install

Post by aeb105 »

Trying to use VirtualBox so I can get some of my other work done in Tango Studio. So I create a virtual drive and go to load the operating system and before anything get an error about this:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Please install the virtualbox-ose-dkms package and execute 'modprobe vboxdrv' as root.

So then I go to Synaptic Package Manager cause I'm not good with a terminal and look for that dkms and it is installed. So I upgrade it and get:

E: virtualbox-ose-dkms: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10

Any idea what I need to do?
aeb105
Established Member

Re: Virtualbox Won't Let Me Install

Post by aeb105 »

falkTX wrote:You're probably just using a non-supported kernel by VirtualBox.
Try a different one.
How do I do that? You mean reboot and look in grub for an older one?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Someone said that I need to install the kernel-devel package for my 3.0.0-19-lowlatency kernel. Anybody know where to find that? I can't see it in Synaptic Package Manager.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:E: virtualbox-ose-dkms: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Does it give any other ouput except for 'exit status 10'? I'd expect some logging leading up to that error that might be interesting.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

raboof wrote:
aeb105 wrote:E: virtualbox-ose-dkms: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Does it give any other ouput except for 'exit status 10'? I'd expect some logging leading up to that error that might be interesting.

DKMS make.log for virtualbox-ose-3.1.6 for kernel 3.0.0-19-lowlatency (x86_64)
Mon Dec 3 01:31:39 EST 2012
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency'
LD /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/built-in.o
LD /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/built-in.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/include/VBox/types.h:34,
from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/../SUPDrvInternal.h:39,
from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:37:
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/include/iprt/types.h:101:31: error: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxDrvLinuxInit’:
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:443: error: ‘nmi_watchdog’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:443: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:443: error: for each function it appears in.)
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:443: error: ‘NMI_IO_APIC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:457: error: ‘nmi_active’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv] Error 2
make: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency'
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/include/iprt/types.h:101:31: error: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
This is your problem: virtualbox wants to see your 'linux/autoconf.h' file but can't find it.

'apt-file search linux/autoconf.h' reveals there's a file called linux/autoconf.h in the 'linux-headers-xxx' packages. Is there a linux-headers-xxx package for the kernel you're running? If so, have you tried installing it?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Headers file is installed as well.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:Headers file is installed as well.
I suppose you mean the headers package (yeah, i'm pedantic, sorry :) ).

Basically, that means either linux/autoconf.h was not in the headers package, or that DKMS did not add the path that contains linux/autoconf.h to its includes search path. Can you verify the package has a linux/autoconf.h ('dpkg -L linux-headers-xxx | grep autoconf.h')? Is that file indeed present on your filesystem? In what directory?
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

raboof wrote:
I suppose you mean the headers package (yeah, i'm pedantic, sorry :) ).

Basically, that means either linux/autoconf.h was not in the headers package, or that DKMS did not add the path that contains linux/autoconf.h to its includes search path. Can you verify the package has a linux/autoconf.h ('dpkg -L linux-headers-xxx | grep autoconf.h')? Is that file indeed present on your filesystem? In what directory?
Here is the output from that command in a terminal.

Package `linux-headers-xxx' is not installed.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

It says that in the terminal, but look at my attached screenshot from Synaptic Package Manager. Green means its installed, only options then are reinstallation(which I tried to no avail), or complete removal??
Attachments
Headers.png
Headers.png (84.01 KiB) Viewed 912 times
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:
raboof wrote:
Here is the output from that command in a terminal.

Package `linux-headers-xxx' is not installed.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

It says that in the terminal, but look at my attached screenshot from Synaptic Package Manager. Green means its installed, only options then are reinstallation(which I tried to no avail), or complete removal??
Ah, sorry, I was a bit unclear: 'dpkg -L <packagename>' shows the files in that package. I didn't know the exact kernel version you're using, so by 'linux-headers-xxx' I meant the linux-headers package for the kernel you're running. So from the screenshot it seems you're running 3.0.0-19-lowlatency - can you verify that? (grub or 'uname -a' should probably tell you). In that case 'dpkg -L linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency | grep autoconf.h' should tell you if and where autoconf.h is in that package.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

ron@ron-desktop:~$ dpkg -L linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency | grep autoconf.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/auto
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:ron@ron-desktop:~$ dpkg -L linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency | grep autoconf.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/autoconf.h
OK, so the linux-headers package puts autoconf.h in include/generated while virtualbox expects it to be in include/linux.

I guess the real fix would be to make virtualbox to look in include/generated, but that might be complicated. For now perhaps try to copy autoconf.h into include/linux? (perhaps cp
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/* /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux
)
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Here is what I did:

ron@ron-desktop:~$ sudo cp -v /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/* /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux
`/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/asm-offsets.h' -> `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/asm-offsets.h'
`/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/autoconf.h' -> `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/autoconf.h'
`/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/bounds.h' -> `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/bounds.h'
`/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/utsrelease.h' -> `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/utsrelease.h'

I don't think that worked unless I mistyped the command.

I am still getting the same error in VirtualBox.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

I am still getting the same error in VirtualBox. Is it possible the output above is a clue?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

aeb105 wrote:DKMS make.log for virtualbox-ose-3.1.6 for kernel 3.0.0-19-lowlatency (x86_64)
Mon Dec 3 01:31:39 EST 2012
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency'
LD /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/built-in.o
LD /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/built-in.o
CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/include/VBox/types.h:34,
from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/../SUPDrvInternal.h:39,
from /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:37:
/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox-ose/3.1.6/build/include/iprt/types.h:101:31: error: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
`/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/generated/autoconf.h' -> `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/autoconf.h'
So when building in '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency' it still can't find 'linux/autoconf.h' even though now '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-19-lowlatency/include/linux/autoconf.h' does exist? That's odd.