Ardour Plugins for Vocals

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

Ardour Plugins for Vocals

Post by aeb105 »

I am looking to record vocals and see that I need to download plugins either LADSPA or LV2 and then open them in Ardour. Where do I get these plugins. And any suggestions for effects, like compression, EQ, Reverb and such would be appreciated. Thanks!
i2productions
Established Member

Re: Ardour Plugins for Vocals

Post by i2productions »

You've gotta come a lot more specific than that. What distro are you using, for starters? Most people on here use a studio based distro that already comes chock full of plugin goodies like compression, etc.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

just search in your package manager for "lv2" and "ladspa" and perhaps "vst", too

install everything, try out everything, decide
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

As the guys say you should see various sets of plug-ins in your package manager. I've used some of the Calf plug-ins before. These should be available in Ardour once installed.

http://calf.sourceforge.net/

I've not experimented too far on vocals so far. I think you should probably start with compressor and reverb. You should find more hints on suggested settings on the general audio sites. The principles should be the same regardless of the platform.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

durfnap
Established Member

Post by durfnap »

Didn't tried it yet myself, but I was very happy to find out that my absolut favorite plugin forge linuxdsp offers now a De-esser :)
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

i2productions wrote:You've gotta come a lot more specific than that. What distro are you using, for starters? Most people on here use a studio based distro that already comes chock full of plugin goodies like compression, etc.
Tango Studio and yes it does contain plugins in other apps, but how do you pull them into Ardour and is that the best way to open them or use them thru another program like Guitarix or LV2Rack and route into Ardour. How do you control the effects thru LV2Rack or JackRack if I go that route(ie adjust them up and down?)
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

You shouldn't have to "pull them in". They were included with your tango studio install. They should just be there when you right click on the top of a channel and look at "New Plugin". You should then have the option to sort by category or go to the plug in manager to see the list of all available plugins. Though yes, you can use things like Jack Rack and lv2 rack(not sure what's included with tango) and calf rack.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Okay, so I have selected some effects from the library in Ardour. But they haven't changed the sound and when I adjust their controls I still get no change in sound. They are activated is there something else I need to do?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Not for most effects. Just make sure it's not bypasses, and doesn't have ()parenthesis around them on the track(would indicate being inactive.)
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

I don't hear the effect if I click on like track 1-4 that I created. But when I highlight Master and then choose an effect it works. The problem is I don't want all my tracks to have the effect.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Gotta be one of the weirdest things I've ever heard of. Never had any problems getting fx to work. And we know they work if it works on the Master bus. I wish you the best, and hope maybe someone else on here can help. Fx have always "just worked" for me out of the box going all the way back to Ardour 0.8 when I first started using it, and continues to work with no issues today on 3.0 beta 5.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

impossible to find out the issue without seeing it

did you read the whole manual?
Ardour is a complex software

Perhaps you are choosing stereo effects on a mono track?
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I suggest looking at this Ardour manual especially the section on plugins:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch040_using-plugins/
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

varpa wrote:I suggest looking at this Ardour manual especially the section on plugins:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch040_using-plugins/

I have been over that section alot and its not helping. I don't get an error either, just no effect. Now this session was created a couple weeks back and now I am layering effects but that shouldn't be a problem right? I am even starting new tracks within the session and get the same no sound for the effect when I turn it up and down. But when I put it on the Master it works.