Session Management

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Vixus
Established Member

Re: Session Management

Post by Vixus »

OK, I'll give it a go... should beat bash scripts... how does it cope with hardware? Will it automatically connect stuff after I switch it on if that connection is saved in a session?
tomjuggler
Established Member

Post by tomjuggler »

just thought I would put in my vote here for Gladish. It's really easy to connect everything the way you want - although the studio does crash when you press save on my version?! Just a bug though unload/reload studio and you have the saved version working, and it's much more user friendly and visually appealing than QjackCtl. I am sure claudia is similar it just wasn't easily available for my system (Ubuntu Studio). The hard part for me (not a programmer) was working out which commands to add to the startup (Application->New Application) as you have to do this manually. For example for SooperLooper you type in slgui.

Anyway now I have that all worked out and the plan is to have a different studio for every song (live performance) with the correct drum track (Hydrogen) effects (Rakarrack and Jack Rack) and of course SooperLooper connected in the right way. I have bash scripts to unload and load the ladish studio

Bash script 1:
ladish_control sunload sstop
(to unload any studio)

Bash script 2:
ladish_control sload StudioToOpen sstart
(to load a specific studio - found these on the internet :D )

and an Autokey script to allow a hotkey to run the bash scripts:

#Opens Studio
import os
os.system('/path/To/Bash/Script.sh') #remember to allow executable in properties

So it's as easy as Ctrl-Alt-u to unload and Ctrl-Alt-whatever for the studio I am using. Very convenient to switch between setups quickly - I plan on mapping the key combo's to a foot pedal at some point.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

How do I turn on the noself connect with ladish? I always thought ladish was something running in the background that I shouldn't care about but If I can make it so jack doesn't autoconnect that would be pretty helpful.
tomjuggler
Established Member

Post by tomjuggler »

I think the whole point of Ladish is to make the jack connections between apps for you so for it to work you need to disable auto connect in the settings of each separate program eg: Ardour, SooperLooper etc - or else there can be some conflict.

After that you just connect everything using Gladish - the gui for ladish - and save.
tomjuggler
Established Member

Post by tomjuggler »

Ok found it in Gladish under tools -> configure jack -> jack engine. Some useful options there thanks falkTX! Perhaps this can remove those error messages I have been getting from Ardour
didgewind
Established Member

Post by didgewind »

My vote right now goes to script + patchbay. I've got a script that starts all the software and in the end uses sleep 10 and jack_disconnect to get rid of all automatic connections. Then another script to kill all apps (with killall). qjackctl patchbay manages all connections.

will have a look at non-session to see how it goes.

cheers.
piesi
Established Member

Post by piesi »

Hi,
I have a problem with the Claudia/Jack "not self connect" option and pure data - it just doesn't work.
when i choose "ignore all self connect requests", just nothing changes. the
auto connections appear on the gui an I get sound from pd.
When I choose "fail all self connect requests" pd gives an error message that it
couldn't connect to jack, but the connections are still visible and I'm still getting
sound from pd...
I use Ubuntu 12.04 and installed all audio stuff from the kx-repositories.

Any help would be appreciated!

greetz,
Frank