new user - apps crashing

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

babag
Established Member

new user - apps crashing

Post by babag »

started with ubuntu studio 17.10 and added kxstudio. managed to get davinci resolve and reaper running well which was my main goal. that being done, i decided to look into some other things. i've been able to get midi functioning, at least in a preliminary test, and synths to play triggered from my keyboard.

the problem arises when i try to open hydrogen. it just flashes on the task bar and closes, giving me a notification that something crashed. after this repeatedly happened without ever successfully opening, i decided to try something else. i tried to open qsampler. the gui does open but linuxsampler doesn't seem to be running. the qsampler gui is grayed out except for the restart button. here's some text from the message window:

Code: Select all

Registered instrument editors: 'gigedit'
Registered internal effect systems: LADSPA
Could not scan LADSPA effects: library path '/home/babag/.ladspa' doesn't exist
convolution: samplerate mismatch preset:48000 host:44100
*** Error in `linuxsampler': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007ffd35fd9bfd ***
17:50:09.229 Server was stopped with exit status 1.
17:50:11.817 Client connecting...
17:50:11.824 Server is starting...
17:50:11.827 linuxsampler
17:50:11.833 Server was started with PID=6389.
lscp_client_create: cmd: connect: Connection refused
LinuxSampler 2.1.0
Copyright (C) 2003,2004 by Benno Senoner and Christian Schoenebeck
Copyright (C) 2005-2017 Christian Schoenebeck
Binary built: Dec 12 2017
Detected features: MMX SSE SSE2
Automatic Stacktrace: Off
Creating Sampler...OK
Registered sampler engines: 'GIG','SF2','SFZ'
Registered MIDI input drivers: ALSA,JACK
Registered audio output drivers: ALSA,JACK
Loading instrument editor plugins...OK

(i cut out a bunch of repeats of the same text until the following )

*** Error in `linuxsampler': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007ffe1e239bfd ***
17:50:15.679 Server was stopped with exit status 1.

** (qsampler:6364): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/../assets/line-h.png,
borders don't fit within the image

** (qsampler:6364): WARNING **: invalid source position for vertical gradient

17:50:18.254 Client connecting...
17:50:18.257 Server is starting...
17:50:18.260 linuxsampler
17:50:18.266 Server was started with PID=6436.
lscp_client_create: cmd: connect: Connection refused
LinuxSampler 2.1.0
Creating Sampler...OK
*** Error in `linuxsampler': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007ffd4fb05bfd ***
17:50:18.864 Server was stopped with exit status 1.
edit for additional info:
here's the console output from trying to start linuxsampler from the command line:

LinuxSampler 2.1.0
Creating Sampler...OK
*** Error in `linuxsampler': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007fffbd7d9b2c ***
Aborted (core dumped)
and the console output from trying to run hydrogen from the command line:

Hydrogen 0.9.7 [Apr 14 2017]  [http://www.hydrogen-music.org]                                                                                                                              
Copyright 2002-2008 Alessandro Cominu                                                                                                                                                      
Copyright 2008-2016 The hydrogen development team                                                                                                                                          

Hydrogen comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY                                                                                                                                                 
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it                                                                                                                              
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details                                                                                                                                 

*** Error in `hydrogen': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007ffeb70b3b34 ***                                                                                                                   
Aborted (core dumped)
no idea what the 'invalid pointer' messages mean but they seem to appear in both cases.

any help on getting this sorted is much appreciated. this is not my strong suit.

thanks,
babag
babag
Established Member

Re: new user - apps crashing

Post by babag »

update:

it seems they both open from the console with sudo. is that normal? do hydrogen and qsampler require elevated privileges? how would i change that anyway? i don't recall the synths and other things i've tried as requiring root permission.

thanks,
babag
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

now i can get hydrogen and qsampler/linuxsampler open but can't get audio out. for qsampler not sure if i'm getting midi in to it either. for hydrogen i can see meters registering but no audio out.

thanks,
babag
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

They shouldn't require elevated privileges and you shouldn't really run them with sudo.

Now you have them running and apparently making sound, are they connected to your soundcard? Check in qjackctl or catia.
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks, sysrqer. the only way i've been able to get them to open is by running as admin. i've not been able to get sound out from either, though.

i have a focusrite saffire pro40 which is running well. reaper runs properly through it, even with a surround mix. i also can midi trigger synths. hydrogen and qsampler no luck, though. i'm guessing it's something in the connections/driver settings but no idea how to debug the setup. i do see meters indicating audio within hydrogen but whatever is happening internally does not seem to get through to the overall system as no sound comes through the focusrite.

qjackctl is set to 'firewire' driver. that's what makes the focusrite work. not sure how to set up the prefs in qsampler and hydrogen. i suspect, though, that as per your statement that they should not require admin permissions, therte may be something more fundamental to solve before getting these kinds of settings together.

thanks again,
babag
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Have you tried uninstalling Hydrogen and Qsampler? And then installing it again via Synaptic. Hydrogen Debug -> Audio Information: What's shown there?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Are you in the audio group? run groups in a terminal
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks for the help.

i did try reinstalling but from muon. everything is the same. not in the studio now but will be back tonight. as for groups, i'll check that but, if i recall, i had to be in the audio group to get reaper running.

thanks again,
babag
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

just confirmed it. i am in the audio group. also, i looked at the setup in catia, which i find easier to look at if i want graphic info, and hydrogen wasn't anywhere in the window. this was with hydrogen up and playing (though, obviously, no audio was coming through). seems like hydrogen is invisible to jack as things are? might make sense since i ran it as sudo? at a loss, here.

thanks for the suggestions,
babag
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Did you set Hydrogen to use the jack audio backend?
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks, rghvdberg.

still trying to get something from qsampler/linuxsampler but i did get sound from hydrogen finally. i opened cadence and found a setting for 'alsa--->loop--->jack' which brought things to life. still have to run from sudo, though. have not yet tested to see if i can get the audio from hydrogen into reaper directly. this was a major step forward, though. hadn't seen the alsa--->loop--->jack setting anywhere in the qjackctl setup. i've been using qjackctl up until i found this.

edit:
and here's an easy one, i'm guessing. i tried to download a short library from the linuxsampler site so i'd have something to test qsampler with. the download is in bin format, though, which i've never run into before as a download or audio format. what do i do with the bin file (it's a short violin sample) to get it into qsampler?

thanks again,
babag
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Sorry for not really offering any real help, but: you should not run Hydrogen (or other programs) with sudo. It's a security risk and it can lead to other issues as well as "mask" the real issue you are having, which might have other implications in the future. My humble suggestion would be to fix this problem before anything else. (Just my $0.02.)
babag
Established Member

Post by babag »

thanks, finotti. i get what you're saying about the security risk. until i can get the real issues figured out, though, i guess i just have to try poking around and finding what i can that seems to give me some functionality. on the other hand, i did see at least one 'how-to' someplace where they were running linuxsampler or qsampler or one of these programs using sudo, so i don't seem to be the only one. really would like to get these things solved, though.

thanks again,
babag
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

babag wrote:[...] managed to get davinci resolve and reaper running well
What the actual f..., First Reaper and now Davinci Resolve for Linux, and it's free?
Is this the year of Linux on the Desktop or what? :D
Awesome!

Regarding your actual problem, if it works with sudo but it doesn't without, then you might be missing some groups.
For me it looks like this:

vitaminx@binary:~ $ groups
vitaminx adm cdrom sudo audio video games netdev input bluetooth bumblebee uinput

are you in "audio" group?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

vitaminx wrote: What the actual f..., First Reaper and now Davinci Resolve for Linux, and it's free?
Technically Reaper isn't for free :)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux