debian in meltdown?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

folderol wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:46 pm Personally I find it extremely disturbing that people are wanting to throw out very stable software (Jack) because a new, still buggy system breaks everything around it :(
I didn't know that 15 years ago, but that appears to be "the Linux way".
folderol wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:34 am Yes. We seem to be back to normal now. This sort of thing always makes me nervous. A few years ago, Yoshimi was taken off due to an error in FLTK. Even after that was corrected we were still off - for about 2 months overall, and I was jumping through hoops to try and find someone who could put this right.
Incidentally for several months now I've been trying to get some sense out of Wikipedia. The Yoshimi entry has several 'warnings' about our entry not being sufficiently objective or having independent verification - even after I pointed out that the article is completely factual, with links to the actual code along with the web page and advanced reference manual on both github and sourceforge :roll:
Same thing a while ago with a piece of antique software - which actually is still actively maintained - called 'Kermit' (protocol to send files over a good ol' serial connection). Disappeared from Linux Debian and therefore Ubuntu and Mint after more than 30 years. Appeared again in newer distro's.

And that SnAFU with the 'M-Audio Keystation 49' (see recent topic here) because ALSA changed something in their naming convention. Why oh why? Sigh. :roll:

That makes me jealous of Windows users: if they get used to using certain software it will always work because their GUI doesn't change from GTK2 to GTK3 (Gnome3). I love the Calf plugins. But they use GTK2 and therefore don't show their GUI in every DAW like they are supposed to. I'm gonna have to forget about Calf and look for replacements with a good looking interface, in my opinion for nothing because there's nothing wrong with 'm.
baconature
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Idaho
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by baconature »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
I love the Calf plugins. But they use GTK2 and therefore don't show their GUI in every DAW like they are supposed to. I'm gonna have to forget about Calf and look for replacements with a good looking interface, in my opinion for nothing because there's nothing wrong with 'm.
I too both like and use Calf in most of my work and will be greatly effected if this changes. The process of re-doing EQ settings for 3 or more tracks in a composition is both daunting and an almost impossible task to duplicate. I have maybe 30 tunes that are in-process of recording, where this situation would apply. Thus this information leaves me feeling downhearted as I contemplate October, when I normally make the leap of upgrading from the previous LTR to its replacement. This time I've been strongly considering migrating to AVL MX-21 rather than upgrading Ubuntu Studio for a few reasons, yet this information may throw a big wrench into my thought process. big sigh!

I have always found the upgrading to new versions problematic due to this singular situation with previous calf updates with Ardour. This being where the old plugin version has been removed and its "settings," are lost in translation. Calf has been my go to for the past 6 years at least.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
User avatar
sunrat
Established Member
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by sunrat »

@baconature You could partition you drive and install the latest SNS* release in a new partition while keeping your working production system in its current state at least till you finish your current projects.
I used separate distros on the same drive for many years with one for audio production and another as daily driver. Dual/multi boot is easy.

*SNS = Shiny New Stuff
baconature
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Idaho
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by baconature »

Hey sunrat,

Thanks for that information. i used to do the duel boot too, it is sort of inconvenient, but maybe worth while. I haven't tried duel booting since BIOS was done away with. I tried when I installed AVL MX-21 last year as an experiment, yet something didn't align correctly. when i ran Grub repair I suppose. I didn't follow up on it at that time. I know that system remains on that drive, but thanks to you and the information you provided at that time, I will wipe that drive and reformat it without encryption and and and... Those were good tips provided through that time.

'SNS' you threw me, now I see at the bottom of your post. Thanks for that too. SNS is good, yet sometimes it makes an unwanted learning curve. I like cruising along with things I know, being an old guy, time is precious, maybe.

Thanks,
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
glowrak guy
Established Member
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 pm
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by glowrak guy »

pclinuxos gui for partitions is excellent. You can run it from a live dvd so the drives
you work can be unmounted.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/
My current youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8-_TqqZ7ij

The song title and cover art may be clues to song's theme. Also at Spotify. Hope you find a keeper! Artist name on good days, is: Franklin Cheney
glowrak guy
Established Member
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 pm
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by glowrak guy »

In general terms, I've had more problems with linux in the last year, than in the previous ten.
With so many stubborn independant super-coders, it's a miracle things work as good as they do. 8)
* I doubt my IQ has improved any in the last eleven years. More rtfm needed than ever... :roll: *
My current youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8-_TqqZ7ij

The song title and cover art may be clues to song's theme. Also at Spotify. Hope you find a keeper! Artist name on good days, is: Franklin Cheney
User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

baconature wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:08 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote:
I love the Calf plugins. But they use GTK2 and therefore don't show their GUI in every DAW like they are supposed to. I'm gonna have to forget about Calf and look for replacements with a good looking interface, in my opinion for nothing because there's nothing wrong with 'm.
I too both like and use Calf in most of my work and will be greatly effected if this changes. The process of re-doing EQ settings for 3 or more tracks in a composition is both daunting and an almost impossible task to duplicate. I have maybe 30 tunes that are in-process of recording, where this situation would apply. Thus this information leaves me feeling downhearted as I contemplate October, when I normally make the leap of upgrading from the previous LTR to its replacement. This time I've been strongly considering migrating to AVL MX-21 rather than upgrading Ubuntu Studio for a few reasons, yet this information may throw a big wrench into my thought process. big sigh!

I have always found the upgrading to new versions problematic due to this singular situation with previous calf updates with Ardour. This being where the old plugin version has been removed and its "settings," are lost in translation. Calf has been my go to for the past 6 years at least.
Chances are that - if you upgrade your distro as often as you say - you are already accustomed to the Calf Plugins without their shiny "old" interface becuase GTK2 (and therefore Gnome2) hasn't been supported for many years. Maybe somebody can tell you the difference between the GUI as it should look and how it looks now. I've seen that in some DAW's that I've got installed that Claf's GUI renders like it should and some only display a menu like interface (read: only text, no fancy schmancy stuff). However, if I'm not mistaken you have to set certain stuff in the fancy schmancy part of some Calf plugins and they do not show up in the menu structure...
User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Found it. See the difference below for the 'Calf Vocoder' LV2 plugin in Qtractor and Reaper.

In Qtractor (the way it should look with its GTK2 GUI):
Image

In Reaper (text only, clicking on the "UI" button does nothing):
Image

Linux and it's non-backward compatibility is really rearing it's ugly head here. Why oh why?
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol
Established Member
Posts: 1630
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Here, of course!
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 201 times
Contact:

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by folderol »

It's not Linux that's that's the problem. It's the arrogant people like Gnome who seem to think the entire platform is their playground.
A wee bit of history:
When Gnome first started they were offered complete drag-and-drop code from one of the RISC OS developers. This would fully integrate with their existing code. The guy got an insulting reply to the effect that it was too specialised and normal users wouldn't understand it.

Here we are today with drag-and-drop appearing everywhere (nearly as good as on RISC OS).
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Gps
Established Member
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by Gps »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:00 am Found it. See the difference below for the 'Calf Vocoder' LV2 plugin in Qtractor and Reaper.

In Qtractor (the way it should look with its GTK2 GUI):
Image

In Reaper (text only, clicking on the "GUI" icon does nothing):
Image

Linux and it's non-backward compatibility is really rearing it's ugly head here. Why oh why?
I wonder if this is why I don't see that gui in LMMS. (openSUSE)

Maybe I need to bother one of the LMMS devs. Mostly because I can't figure out if it should work.

LMMS latest's version supports LV2. So I installed the Calf plugins LV2 version, but no gui in LMMS.

It could be the solution is I have to copy paste the plugins to were the appimage version does see them.

The LMMS forum cant help me with this, I tried.

Maybe I need to go to geekos
https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/en/

Something like the Kx repositories for Ubuntu, but for openSUSE.

LMMS from the official openSUSE repositories stopped working.... ( LMMS apimage still works fine, so does my self compiled LMMS....)

I sometimes hate computers. Why does openSUSE keep updating LMMS even after it is working.
I know the answer to some extent, there are newer libs then the libs used before to compile LMMS, but from a user perspective, it is working leave it alone!

Opensuse in meltdown ?

My pc is dualboot openSUSE / win10, and I still have an Albeton light license. Never used it, it came with my midi keyboard.
Some days I am tempted. :(
User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Gps wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:35 pm I wonder if this is why I don't see that gui in LMMS. (openSUSE)

Maybe I need to bother one of the LMMS devs. Mostly because I can't figure out if it should work.
I don't understand either why the Calf plugins show their GUI in some DAWs and not in others. I know it has to do with GTK2 which is deprecated now. Can somebody explain?
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
baconature
Established Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:15 pm
Location: Idaho
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 18 times
Contact:

Re: debian in meltdown?

Post by baconature »

This stuff is all pretty much beyond my comprehension. I am not very computer literate, I know only enough to have turned off the big 2 operating systems in exchange for the use of a FLOSS Linux OS. On a personal level, re-inventing the wheel is nonsense when what exists works just fine. I say that in reference to times before these changes came around. I seek to spend my time making recordings of my music, rather than researching how to continue using software that used to work. Or worse yet, finding a suitable replacement for that once functionally dependable wheel.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
Post Reply