AVLinux-MXE Getting Started

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

clarkleach
Established Member

AVLinux-MXE Getting Started

Post by clarkleach »

I've just installed AVLinux-MXE-2020.12.03 on my machine. While I'm not a total noob when it comes to Linux, I am a bit rusty and most of my experience with Linux was software development related. My experience with DAW software has been on Windows where you just plug in and things work.

My hardware consists of:
HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9 (Intel Xeon 4 Core 3700 MHz, 24G RAM, 1TB HDD)
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen 2
Dual 27" AOC monitors

I'd like to at least get Reaper up and running to start with. With JACK selected as the "Device" it can't connect. I suspect because JACK probably is not running. I've found little info on how to configure and operate JACK and could use some guidance. You might say I don't know JACK and you would be right.

I do have audio out, Netflix, Youtube, etc. work fine. Prior to installing this distro, I had Kubuntu installed and Reaper worked, more or less, with ALSA selected.

Any pointers?
varpa
Established Member

Re: AVLinux-MXE Getting Started

Post by varpa »

Look on page 37 of the AVL manual: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL-MXE-User-Manual.pdf
clarkleach
Established Member

Post by clarkleach »

varpa wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:12 pm Look on page 37 of the AVL manual: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL-MXE-User-Manual.pdf
Perhaps useful if I were trying to make a snapshot of my install. I am, however, trying to figure out how to manage the audio system. JACK in particular.
clarkleach
Established Member

Post by clarkleach »

Never mind. Gonna install Windows. Don't have time to teach myself Linux and all the gurus are too busy wanking to bother helping anyone.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Page 40 may be more useful. Guess you never read that far. If Reaper worked with ALSA in Kubuntu it will work in AVL-MXE. You don't need JACK to get started.
I doubt any "gurus" (which virtually nobody would claim to be) are doing what you suggest. The average Linux muso is probably putting the hours (or years) of learning to good use creating music. Windows is so much easier as everyone is born an expert in that. :mrgreen:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I had to be AFK for a few days with work so I wasn't here to answer this.. but this is exactly the kind of attitude that makes doing a project like AVL-MXE kinda not so enjoyable..

A manual with the exact info needed is on the Desktop and a table of contents with bookmarks to the exact section that answers the question and still such immediate disgust with the project.. :roll:

Enjoy windows... Don't imagine for a second I'm disappointed that you've gone that route..
lordbullingdon
Established Member

Post by lordbullingdon »

Hello!

I think my question fits this already started thread, so here goes ...

First of all, thank you so much for the new AVL MX Edition. I have been wanting to try out this distro for years, but have always been a bit nervous about the previous installation methods -- but then I found your amazing presentation at https://youtu.be/EaCfbGAFunE (loved the Heckling Annotator, btw). With this move to MX, it was as easy as installing any distro, and I am currently posting from my freshly installed system, set up on a purpose built home recording PC. I am amazed at how clean and well thought-out the MX edition appears to be. I love the Wine/LinVST assistant feature in particular. It wIll save me a lot of time not having to, as I have previously in other distros, manually go through the LinVST download and configuration process.

Anyways. This might be a quite nooby question ... Since the point of AVL is stability and optimization for AV work, does that mean that I should in fact not apply the updates delivered automatically by the MX Updater utlity? I.e. are those intended for the base MX Linux distribution, and might interfere with the tweaks and optimizations done for AV Linux specifically? Would it, in fact, be better to, once installed, run the system offline, ignore any system updates, and only connect to the internet for updating Firefox, licensing purchased plugins and similar tasks?

Many thanks in advance!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

@lordbullingdon As OP decided to use this thread as an outlet for venting their refusal to read the manual and has since left the building, it may have been better to start a new thread.
To answer your question, in Debian stable it's almost always safe to install updates, and MX, being based on Debian, is also fairly conservative with updates although possibly not quite as much. If you do go online at all, you should update it regularly.
That said, it is also good practice to make regular system backups so you can recover any inadvertent user mistakes as well as any update glitches. (Case in point, I accidentally erased my whole Thunderbird email profile yesterday while re-partitioning a hard drive :oops: ). I back up my whole system partition with fsarchiver, and use rsync to copy all my data to a backup drive (and back that up too).
lordbullingdon
Established Member

Post by lordbullingdon »

sunrat wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm @lordbullingdon As OP decided to use this thread as an outlet for venting their refusal to read the manual and has since left the building, it may have been better to start a new thread.
To answer your question, in Debian stable it's almost always safe to install updates, and MX, being based on Debian, is also fairly conservative with updates although possibly not quite as much. If you do go online at all, you should update it regularly.
That said, it is also good practice to make regular system backups so you can recover any inadvertent user mistakes as well as any update glitches. (Case in point, I accidentally erased my whole Thunderbird email profile yesterday while re-partitioning a hard drive :oops: ).
Ah, sorry about that. If mods feel it deserves its own thread, feel free to move it. Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll make sure to setup a good Timeshift backup routine, in case any of the updates should negatively impact the system. Hope you manage to get things up and running with Thunderbird again!
Moontune

Post by Moontune »

GMaq wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:03 pm .. but this is exactly the kind of attitude that makes doing a project like AVL-MXE kinda not so enjoyable..
Don't forget, for every salty entitled brick you'll have plenty of grateful users silently enjoying your work. This community runs off the efforts of people like you; keep up the good work.
manoftao
Established Member

Post by manoftao »

Hi folks. I dont know where to go on the forums with my issue but since it says Getting started I thought i'll start here.. I am not new to linux but delved only superficially into the guts of it, on a need-to basis.
I have recently acquired a rather nifty Dell xps 15 7590 laptop with nvidia gtx 1650 graphix as i was long due for a new machine. As a musician and amateur videographer i've long desired to fully migrate to Linux a/v from Win. After some research I found Avl-mxe linux to be a great option. I managed to install Linux Mint on the xps - after switching raid to uefi in bios. But the avl-mxe liveusb install ends in a "Fatal error, no usb/cdrom device found" fairly quickly into the process - no matter which option i choose in the preliminary menu. Some fiddling in the bios with secure boot related stuff makes no difference. The user manual doesnt have any info or troubleshooting at such early stage of install - that i could find.. I have used linux mint for a few years but never seriously considered relying on it for all my audio-visual projects.. Would anyone know what the issue may be? Cheers.
Attachments
install_error.jpg
install_error.jpg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 16707 times
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

manoftao wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am Hi folks.
Welcome!
manoftao wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am I dont know where to go on the forums with my issue but since it says Getting started I thought i'll start here..
That's fine - though a new topic might have been even better!
manoftao wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:28 am Would anyone know what the issue may be?
Unfortunately I have no idea - hopefully someone else! Otherwise perhaps a more 'mainstream' distro might be a good alternative option.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

@manoftao

Have you created a bootable USB key with the AVL-MXE ISO file? What software did you use to create the key? Are you booting in UEFI mode?

Side note AVL-MXE uses a default RT kernel which will not allow you to install 3rd party drivers for that nVidia card so if you do get it installed you will need to install an alternate Kernel to install nVidia drivers... This is touched on in the AVL-MXE User Manual but if you're not terribly experienced with Linux in general you may find this to be offputting.. In short for working with RT Kernels for the best potential Audio latency the fact that nVidia won't ship a default Linux driver that simply 'just installs' on RT systems is a constant pain in the neck... This is why alternate Kernel options and documents are provided. Anyway just a heads-up!

@raboof

If Distrowatch is to be believed than there aren't many things more mainstream than MX Linux (the base and installer of AVL-MXE).. :D
Moutchou

Post by Moutchou »

Hi,

I am totally new to this linux distribution. I used AntiX before but I am struggling installing some tools (compiling Ardour6 is a mess) ans there are lots of unstability (many times, with no readon, the xServer does not start and it start with a niiiiiice prompt ;)
This AVLinux is all I needed: a low-latency Linux, usable on an old PC, seems to be stable, with a modern desktop, dedicated to music production.

My setup:
- Intel Pentium SU2700 CULV (1.3GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB cache) / 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1066MHz)
- umc1820 from Behringer
- Guitars, amps & mics :)

So one word: Thanks !
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I need smaller AVLinux terminals. with no ascii text at the top, would like just a single line with username and the prompt.
Thanks for any help. Didn't see anything in the terminal preferences.
Cheers