Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

Hi!
I'm trying to setup my keyboard (Dexibell VIVO S9) as a midi. Here is what I've learned and done.
I use Cadence. In it I'm supposed to select usb device in Configure - Driver - Alsa (tab) - output device. But I don't see my keyboard there.
`lsusb` shows my instrument so it's recognised.
I use Ableton:
When I open Preferences of midi I see input and output of a2jmidid which I assume is what Cadence exported. I expected piano keyboard to give some input but nothing.
Should I leave Controle surface as None or what? I contacted Dexibell manufacturer and they said driver is not required. I tried all devices of the list and still nothing. So I assume something about settings that I'm not doing right.
After hours of searching about this and trying other options (it got even more confusing) I'm stuck.. Help will be greatly appreciated! Have a nice day!

sunrat
Established Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by sunrat »

You need to connect it to something that will generate sound such as a soft synth like Zyn or Yoshimi.
If you have Cadence you probably have Carla plugin host as well so you can load synth plugins there if they don't run as standalone.
You can use a MIDI monitor to check if the signals are getting through. Mixbus has one on board, maybe Ardour has too.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

sunrat wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:22 am
You need to connect it to something that will generate sound such as a soft synth like Zyn or Yoshimi.
If you have Cadence you probably have Carla plugin host as well so you can load synth plugins there if they don't run as standalone.
You can use a MIDI monitor to check if the signals are getting through. Mixbus has one on board, maybe Ardour has too.
Once again I'm confused. You say I have to connect it to Zyn or Yoshimi which generate sound. I use Ableton to generate sounds. I installed Yoshimi but I don't see how that will solve my midi keyboard `not working`. I think I'm mostly confused about how to use cadenca and jack and then enabling midi keyboard in Ableton

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

What does Ableton use for a sound interface - ALSA, Jackd or Pulseaudio?
In the video he talks about pulseaudio. (German) Ableton Live 10 - VOLL FUNKTIONSFÄHIG auf LINUX! - https://youtu.be/Fa2k0vvlAEI?t=622
If this is the sound interface of Ableton, you would need to route the MIDI signals through pulseaudio to pulseaudio-module-jack.
50/50%
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

I use Alsa. So, I should use pulse then ? I don't understand German at all though..

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

I have no Ableton. I thought it only works with pulseaudio.
If ALSA (or jackd) is offered take ALSA (or jackd). Pulseaudio is not ideal for RT Audio LAW.
Ableton with ALSA should display MIDI.
Jackd uses the a2jmidid.
I have no idea how MIDI works with pulseaudio.
IMHO
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

In Driver Type I got MME/Directx as only option.
In Audio Input device I selected default DX but there some other options too. Out also DX.
Now Link midi section:
I got 'control surface' within I have to select one of given midi. Or none. I'm not sure if I can leave it as none. Anyway I tried all midis and nothing worked.
I bet it has to do with simply making midi keyboard to output any signal. I'm very confused how to do that..

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

davis wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:41 pm
I use Cadence.
But Cadence always starts jackd, right? (I don't use Cadence, so I have no idea).
Jackd should not be running if you want to use Ableton with ALSA.
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

Yes, I used Cadence cause I thought I need to use to got midi runing. Using it or not.. still no success.
I guess I have to configure ALSA somehow. It is used by default systemwide. Do you know GUI for this purpose?

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

If Cadence (= jackd) is not running then the pulseaudio sound server is probably running.
You should stop pulseaudio before starting Ableton.
When you start Ableton, it should show you "ALSA" (audio/MIDI) under Settings/Audio.
Setting program for ALSA is the alsamixer.
IMHO
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

No, pulse is not running as I disabled and removed it. I don't see alsa as an option in Ableton.
Of course i know about alsamixer. It doesn't have anything even remotely close to MIDI settings.

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

davis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm
No, pulse is not running as I disabled and removed it.
Temporarily turning off pulse audio is good. Uninstalling it completely can lead to audio problems as many programs - for example Firefox (YT) - use pulseaudio.
davis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm
I don't see alsa as an option in Ableton.
What does Ableton display for choices under Settings/Audio?
Maybe only pulseaudio?
davis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:12 pm
Of course i know about alsamixer. It doesn't have anything even remotely close to MIDI settings.
Alsamixer and MIDI: Right. It is "only" supported, you can't set anything under MIDI.
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

What does Ableton display for choices under Settings/Audio?
Maybe only pulseaudio?
I covered it in one of previous posts but here are more details:
Driver Type - No audio, MME/DirectX
Audio Input Device - No input, In: Default DX, In: HDA Intel PCH ALC3239 Analog DX
In: Default wave and In: HDA Intel PCH ALC3239 ana wave

As for audio output device I got bunch of HDMI (number) DX and also intel pch.
Nothing related to alsa or pulse or jack has never been on a list.

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by khz »

At least the problem has been narrowed down. I can't help you because I don't use Ableton, but I'm sure someone else can.
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

davis
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Keyboard is recognised but doesn't work

Post by davis »

Thank you anyway. I hope someone can help :)

Post Reply