Drawbacks of installing Ubuntu Studio 18.04?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Drawbacks of installing Ubuntu Studio 18.04?

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 am

meinfretur wrote:I hadn't noticed that recent Ubuntu releases ditched Unity -- that's why I mentioned Xubuntu, because I seem to remember hating Unity when I tried it

Ha ha. That's why my next distro is going to be Ubuntu again. I hated Unity too.

meinfretur wrote:But I do agree with bhilmers: I don't want to be bothered with doing a lot of tweaking involving configuration files, command lines, etc., nor have I ever enjoyed dependency hell. I've gotten to the point where I can dabble in Bash scripts and such, but I prefer a distribution that does the under-the-hood stuff for me to one where I have to do it myself.

Personally, I don't think you'll have to go under the hood w/ Ubuntu either. I didn't do much "special" configuration either (I use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu). Important is that you use the KXStudio repo. If at all possible, try Ubuntu some time and I think you won't notice the difference. You say that you like Xfce. It's a lightweight desktop environment. A lot of config utilities look to me like they are straight from the Gnome deskt. envr., which is the standard DE in Ubuntu now a days.

I do not thing you need to do any tweaks. I wouldn't know what.

meinfretur wrote:As for merlyn's question about support, I was wondering the same thing. I could be wrong, but I would think it would be easier to answer questions from average users who have a system that installs a standard set of tweaks rather than ones who tweaked settings themselves, sometimes using outdated tutorials and possibly breaking things in the process.

Good point. But users that use distro's like that tend to do that because they're not very experienced in using Linux. So in the end you might end up depending on help from other people that don't know the ins and outs of Ubuntu Studio. :wink:

Anyway, good luck with using Linux! :)

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: Drawbacks of installing Ubuntu Studio 18.04?

Postby AlexTheBassist » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:29 am

bhilmers wrote:It's a little bit more than just audio and I feel it probably qualifies as a separate distro. They have a custom installer that lets users pick different creative setups (audio/music production, graphics, photography, video, etc...) and there are some OS tweaks that are helpful for new people (it helped me when I was new).

Yeah, it's more than just audio, this is a huge mess also. I never saw an Ubuntu Studio setup working properly. It's a lot better to choose AVLinux or KXStudio over it, as they are working solutions. Both work like a charm once you set up JACK and needed bridges.
Kde Neon
Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard
Tons of other borrowed instruments
Presonus Eris E4.5
Some musical education
Ardour, EQ10Q, LSP Plugins…

Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”