Anything like Finale's speedy note entry?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dewdrop_world
Established Member

Anything like Finale's speedy note entry?

Post by dewdrop_world »

Back when I was still using Finale, I got really used to speedy note entry -- MIDI keyboard for pitch and numeric keypad for note values.

Now that I'm looking at Linux notation editors, it looks like you can enter notes using mouse/computer keyboard entirely, or transcribe a MIDI performance (assuming that the notes are played in the correct rhythm in real time) -- but only those extremes. The latter is useless for me because I suck at the keyboard and my music is too rhythmically complex (changing subdivisions, frequent tuplets etc.). The former... seems kind of silly to ignore a very precise source of pitch information (MIDI keyboard).

Is there anything that does what I'm after? So far I've looked at Frescobaldi and NoteEdit. (If there's nothing like speedy note entry, then I would probably go with Frescobaldi because it looks like lilypond's syntax is minimal and concise, and most likely I need the precision of editing at source code level.)

Thanks,
James
raboof
Established Member

Re: Anything like Finale's speedy note entry?

Post by raboof »

http://lilypond.org/web/about/faq lists a couple of options, but not really what you're looking for.

RUMOR with '--flat' perhaps comes close
thomasK
Established Member

Post by thomasK »

I think nted or Musescore are the notation editors you are looking for. Both have a similar possibility like finales speedy entry.

Greetings

Thomas
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

dewdrop_world wrote:If there's nothing like speedy note entry, then I would probably go with Frescobaldi because it looks like lilypond's syntax is minimal and concise, and most likely I need the precision of editing at source code level
If you don't need too much interactivity (like correcting mistakes), it might be fairly easy to create a script that allows exactly the 'speed entry' you'd like.

I made a small mockup that does this *very* basically (1-6 select note lengths, midi keypresses enter notes, '0' enters rests): http://arnout.engelen.eu/files/dev/linu ... /gossip.py

If this is sort of what you're looking for we could extend this (supporting different octaves, dotted notes, chords).
Guernica
Established Member

Post by Guernica »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Linux and like you, coming off of Finale. MuseScore will do what you need and plenty more besides. Since you've used Finale you will find it very intuitive. For me, MuseScore was the main attraction of Linux - I am but a poor classical composer, and much though I love Finale I can't afford all those upgrades! (Many thanks to all the MuseScore developers - I never expected to find such a full-featured notation program on Linux!) :D
sonic5397
Established Member

Post by sonic5397 »

Guernica wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Linux and like you, coming off of Finale. MuseScore will do what you need and plenty more besides. Since you've used Finale you will find it very intuitive. For me, MuseScore was the main attraction of Linux - I am but a poor classical composer, and much though I love Finale I can't afford all those upgrades! (Many thanks to all the MuseScore developers - I never expected to find such a full-featured notation program on Linux!) :D
I'll second (or even third) this recommendation - it's fast, flexible yet powerful. I just popped out one of my simpler songs that I had originally done the old fashioned way (i.e. staff paper/pencil) and it came out beautifully, and only took me 30 minutes for roughly 48 bars of piano music. That's almost as fast as I could roughly notate it by hand!
Computing: Intel i5-3570K / Triple Boot - Ubuntu 12.10, Win7, OSX
Midi: MOTU MIDI Express 128 / Audio: MOTU 8Pre
Hardware: Roland D-50, Akai AX-60, Alesis QSR, E-mu Audity & Orbit, Digitech GSP-2101, PAIA Stack-in-a-box, Sansamp GT-2,
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Post by TheSafePlaces »

I've never seen much less used Finale, but if it's anything like Sibelius you'll be right at home in MuseScore, BUT...

Nothing, and I do mean nothing, beats Laborejo for no-nonsense and speedy workflow while simultaneously being easy to get used to (denemo, for instance, had way too much of a steep learning curve, I never even got around to understand it at all -_-' ). I've used only the computer keyboard to enter things, and it's definitely much faster than MuseScore, in a lot of ways. It is probably good with a MIDI keyboard too. It's in heavy development, and although it's not all done yet, it's quite useable. You may contact the dev, nilsge, on #laborejo (freenode), for feedback and help.
http://www.laborejo.org/
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.