What notation editor do you use and why?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I'm thinking of writing some melodies down. But that's very hard in just a simple text file (or word processor for that matter). I lean towards trying Lilypond because you can quickly make a simple text based file to convert to PDF later and it works in LaTeX too.

On the other hand Musescore's GUI looks very clear, polished and non-intimidating.
d.healey
Established Member

Re: What notation editor do you use and why?

Post by d.healey »

Musescore. I've been using it since version 0.9 and version 4 looks like it's going to be fantastic.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

d.healey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:05 am Musescore. I've been using it since version 0.9 and version 4 looks like it's going to be fantastic.
I've been trying the nightlies.

Musescore4 looks like a serious step forward.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I use Musescore. I don't have a clear reason why as I've never tried anything else. It definitely does the job.

I don't know if other notation editors do this -- it has a soundfont that comes with it that lets you hear what you're doing. The notes sound as they are input or moved around. It's then possible to play back what you've written and hear it. If chord symbols are put in Musescore will play the chords. The sounds aren't super top quality, and I don't think they would be used in a production version, but they're good enough to hear what you're doing. jeff will be horrified to learn that Musescore works with JACK. Painlessly for me, but I'm sure jeff could make a mess of it if he put his mind to it.

As far as I know the soundfont is one of the things that is being improved in version 4.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

merlyn wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:44 pm I use Musescore. I don't have a clear reason why as I've never tried anything else. It definitely does the job.

I don't know if other notation editors do this -- it has a soundfont that comes with it that lets you hear what you're doing. The notes sound as they are input or moved around. It's then possible to play back what you've written and hear it. If chord symbols are put in Musescore will play the chords. The sounds aren't super top quality, and I don't think they would be used in a production version, but they're good enough to hear what you're doing. jeff will be horrified to learn that Musescore works with JACK. Painlessly for me, but I'm sure jeff could make a mess of it if he put his mind to it.

As far as I know the soundfont is one of the things that is being improved in version 4.
Thanks for the info. Wonder why people are extra positive about ver. 4? I've got Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and that comes w/ ver. 3.x. Is ver. 3 very different form 4? (I do not like installin software from outside of the standard repo's.)
Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

Hi there!
Once again I would like to draw your attention to "nted" see: https://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/s ... nted.xhtml
It is in debian's repos and is perfect to scetch down my ideas.

Greetings, Michael

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Babarosa wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:10 pm Hi there!
Once again I would like to draw your attention to "nted" see: https://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/s ... nted.xhtml
It is in debian's repos and is perfect to scetch down my ideas.

Greetings, Michael
Yep. Tried it, like it. :) It starts up super fast, is non-intimidating and can export to Lilipond (can't import it though,too bad).
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:54 pm Wonder why people are extra positive about ver. 4?
It's been a while since there was an update, which implies this is going to be a big one. Musescore has gotten better with successive updates, so the chances are version 4 will be a step up.

I haven't tried 4, 3.6 is fine for me for just now. I'll update when 4 appears in my repo, going against the "never use x.0 of anything" advice. :D
diedeno
Established Member

Post by diedeno »

Musescore 4
-does not support Jack anymore
-does not have sfz support anymore
-vst's do not work in Linux
and so on
https://musescore.org/en/node/334701
But is looks fantastic and is probably as good as the commercial dorico or sibelius -- which are not available for Linux anyway.
A new orchestral library "Muse Sounds" will be availlable for Linux.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

diedeno wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:54 am Musescore 4
and so on
But is looks fantastic and is probably as good as the commercial dorico or sibelius -- which are not available for Linux anyway.
Sometimes an update ain't no upgrade. :roll:
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Thanks for the heads up, diedno.

Curse you, Muse Group! Curse you, Tantacrul! It's just so depressingly predictable that commercial interests (the Muse Group) blast in and wreck not one, but two bits of free software. The Muse Group have rocks in their head as they bought Ultimate Guitar and honestly I have never found a TAB on that that was 100% right. :D
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:37 am
diedeno wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:54 am Musescore 4
and so on
Sometimes an update ain't no upgrade. :roll:
Ain't that the truth.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Nils, on a sort of related note, I've been experimenting with Laborejo. As one would expect, it produces an elegant lilypond output.

I'd include it in a discussion about engravers/notation apps.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

alex stone wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:22 pm
Nils, on a sort of related note, I've been experimenting with Laborejo. As one would expect, it produces an elegant lilypond output.

I'd include it in a discussion about engravers/notation apps.
I am still working on Laborejo, but I have given up on actively getting anyone to use it. Not because I tried and failed but because I don't want to anymore. It's just a small hobby project now, "recreational programming" for my own fun.
Laborejo is still not a Lilypond-frontend though, eventhough you can use it to quickly export simple arrangements.

For serious notation, printed or pdf for me the only way has been, and still is, to write Lilypond textfiles.