Lilypond front ends: Denemo, NoteEdit, Carous and Rosegarden

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

briwood
Established Member

Lilypond front ends: Denemo, NoteEdit, Carous and Rosegarden

Post by briwood »

I've done whole charts by writing Lilypond code with Emacs. I'm hoping to find a faster way.

AFAICT Lilypond is the best engraver. Are there others that match up?

Denemo: Not very actively developed. I am keyboard-centric and I liked their keymaps. I ran into too many problems and reverted to a text editor.

NoteEdit: Not as keyboard centered. More features than Denemo, but I still was better off with a text editor.

Canours: I haven't installed it recently. Opinions?

Rosegarden: Rosegarden has a really nice notation editor and uses Lilypond to render. I haven't had time to attempt a whole chart with it, but it looks promising.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

ha ha , I also post a post about noteeditors :)

depends on what you want, but I think NtED and mscore are on the good way... Rosegarden is good to...
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

studio32 wrote:I think NtED and mscore are on the good way...
Thanks man. I'll give those a look too.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Once you get used to NoteEdit's quirks, it's pretty easy to quickly enter virtually everything you want, and then fine-tune the Lilypond in a text editor if you need that. It's currently what I primarily use for composing.

Canorus is well on it's way, and will surely be awesome, but it's not quite done yet.

MuseScore is fantastic in terms of functionality...the out quality is also very nice. A lot of bugs are being worked out right now as they approach a 1.0 release, and I think it will be an invaluable tool.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

NtED is not NoteEdit but a new project of the original developer of Noteedit. I think Noteedit is a bit dead (?)....

Canorus is a new version of NoteEdit... that's what I understood...

NtED is made with Cairo library and is very fast...
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I rather like Rosegarden - in fact, liked it so much I dove in and added a couple of features I missed.

However, one thing I dislike about RG as wel as all the other GUI's I tried is that (especially for 'popular' music arrangements) you end up copy-pasting an awful lot.

Recently I've been laying out some scores directly in lilypond again, and the variables/macros and '\include' are really great to keep a score 'managable' as you would a codebase. I haven't found a GUI editor yet that gives me this power.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I've heard that Rosegarden 1.7 has a improved notation editor...

I'm looking also forward to the further development of

- NteD http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/st ... nted.xhtml
- Mscore http://mscore.sourceforge.net/en/idx.php
randy

Post by randy »

In the past few years I've occasionally tried to get something oss working on my linux machines or my wins for that matter and I'm happy to report upon being reminded about rosegarden by you all that I this time got rosegarden working for me. I also used denemo for an evening and tried editing the denemo files in lilypond by hand but I'm now happy to report I'm importing the resulting .midi files into rosegarden where the note editor is fantastic. Yo.
Martin Tarenskeen
Established Member

Re: Lilypond front ends: Denemo, NoteEdit, Carous and Rosega

Post by Martin Tarenskeen »

[quote="briwood"]I've done whole charts by writing Lilypond code with Emacs. I'm hoping to find a faster way.

While working directly with a text editor you gradually develop your own personal tricks to make this hardwork faster and easier.

Then later when you try different GUI frontend solutions you will notice that you can't use these tricks anymore. So return to your texteditor. It's not the easiest way, but it is the most powerful and the most flexible.

I'm not using Lilypond (should try it one day), but Mup ( http://www.arkkra.com ). Rosegarden can export Mup scores. But I prefer my texteditor and make a lot
of use of Mup's macro facilties for repeated sections, Da Capo's, MIDI performance vs. Score layout, etecetera.

Mup seems to be a little bit easier too learn than Lilypond. But it's not free, it's shareware.