Rosegarden doesn't have enough (horizontal) space for lyrics--too many syllables per measure

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rhkramer

Rosegarden doesn't have enough (horizontal) space for lyrics--too many syllables per measure

Post by rhkramer »

(I wasn't sure whether to post this under Notation Editors or under Recorders and Sequencers--I'll try here first.)

I've tried searching this site for a similar problem using search words [lyric space] but haven't found anything to help me.

I want to have a MIDI sequencer that displays at least the melody and lyrics of songs that I might sing like karaoke.

I've started using Rosegarden, but I've run into a problem--for some songs, the words in the lyrics are too long and the notes are too short such that the lyrics are not (properly) displayed--some syllables are omitted or overwritten making them unreadable. (There are too many syllables (and letters) in each measure.)

I've found the "spacing" control on the Rosegarden notation display, and it helps, but even with it set to 240%, some songs still do not display the lyrics properly.

BTW, I'm using an older version of Rosegarden (version 12.04) because that is the version "supported on my Debian Wheezy system. If someone tells me that my problem is definitely solved in a later version of Rosegarden, I'll look into upgrading--I'm not sure that will be possible within Debian Wheezy.

I can supply a copy of a problematic song to anyone that is interested (I got it for free off the web, but there may be licensing issues that would keep you from calling it your own).

One particular song with the problem is written in 6/8 time. I'm sort of wondering if I could gain space if I did something like rewrite it in 3/4 time, presumably with the need to adjust the duration of notes to achieve the same tempo (but fewer notes per measure)--I'm not a musician so I'm not sure how feasible that is (nor that the change to 3/4 time would be the right "direction" of the change.

On the third hand, if someone knows of some other MIDI sequencer for Linux than can handle lyrics with big words (or lots of syllables per measure), I'll look into using that.

Thanks!
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden doesn't have enough (horizontal) space for lyrics--too many syllables per measure

Post by bluebell »

You can ask your question on the Rosegarden-User-Mailinglist: https://sourceforge.net/projects/rosega ... arden-user

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/