Convert a song into music sheet

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Telover
Established Member

Convert a song into music sheet

Post by Telover »

Hi all,
probably this issue has been submitted several times, but I'm completely ignorant at this.
Does exist a software that convert an audio track into music sheet?
I have several tunes recorded with Ardour, each of which contains many instruments.
Is it possible to play the tunes converting them, one at a time obviously, in music sheet while they're playing?
Thank you
rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Convert a song into music sheet

Post by rghvdberg »

only thing I can think of is aubio

https://aubio.org/manual/latest/cli.html
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

IRCAM's OpenMusic might be able to do it, but it will likely require the aid of one or two add-ons (OM-SuperVP and/or OM-Pm2), both of which are available for Linux but are not free.

OpenMusic for Linux - http://repmus.ircam.fr/openmusic/linux

Best,

dp
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Thanks guys but, expecially for the first link I'm a musician, not a computer geek. That's too difficult.
Also. I've read on the net that it's better to play some bars of the song with a midi software and transcript it, it's more precise.
So now I have to find a software that convert the played midi input into music sheet.
Any hint? But easy, if possible.
Thanks again for the help
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Hello,

In a earlier thread this link: https://musescore.org/en/node/25785 was a way to do this, I believe. I almost got it working last night using my yamaha keyboard. Did not totally get the connections right in patchage since I am not using qjackctl as was in these instructions. I want to try this again.

I wonder if qtractor can do this too somehow or rosegarden? Would think there is a good way to do this, hopefully.

Good fortune for this.

SIncerely,

Marcia
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

42, yes they're my tunes. Some are all audios, others contains midi also: piano, organ, orchestra, and so on.
Marcia, at first I installed musescore but I haven't tried it. I was looking for something that convert the song into music sheet but, as I wrote, I've read that's not a good idea because the converters are not good to this yet. As well as the ones for the voice.
Music is complicated and with nowadays technology a converter is not yet able to catch all the notes and transcribe them into music sheet.
In fact I remembered that when I used to record in the past together a friend (he used to do all the duties about recording and working with MIDI), after having finished a tune, he played the parts on the keyboard and recorded as MIDI. Then he transposed it in music sheet. I don't remember the software, I think it was Cubase, one of the first versions.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

If the only thing you have is audio, then open each instrument track in Sonic Visualizer and use melodic spectrogram (hotkey M) and transcribe by hand.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Lucky you, 42. The times I opened up a music book I've read the first page and closed it istantly :mrgreen:
I actually need to transcribe the tunes for register them, you know copyright bullshit and so on.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

If you live in the country which accepted Berne Convention you don't need to register anything. Otherwise, well, tough luck.

I found typing notes via MIDI keyboard into MuseScore to be relatively easy, I just need to choose a correct length.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Just put it on the web somewhere and make sure archive.org crawler archives the page. There's your proof. But if you need to proof during a court case, I guess something has gone terribly wrong.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

42low wrote:Or your song got very popular and your earning huge piles of money. :mrgreen:
Correction: the label you've signed with. You get like 1000$ one time payment and that's all. The label keeps the millions.
Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

Yep, don't let the labels screw you up. Do everything by yourself 8)
Anyways, uploading something on a website or on the tube it's the best way to get stolen your stuff. I've just found out there are small companies registering your material on the date they receive it, releasing a kind of badge, stamp, certificate, anyways something that proves you're the author of that material.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Telover
Established Member

Post by Telover »

lol