Sound in Sibelius

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stanellison
Established Member

Sound in Sibelius

Post by stanellison »

Hi, I'm fairly new to Linux and been running it for three or four months. I've just got a version of Sibelius running on Linux. I'm using Mint 13 KDE and version 4 of Sibelius. I can get sound output but only by starting Jack and then Qsynth before starting Sibelius. Is there any other way of getting sound without having to start the other programs first?

Another point is I installed Lillypond and my software manager says it is installed but I can't find it to run it. What has happened?
nils
Established Member

Re: Sound in Sibelius

Post by nils »

Sibelius is a Windows program. You are best advised to run it in Windows for best compatibility and performance. I guess you will also get no support from the Sibelius team if you tell them you are running it through Wine. Because that is where you should ask: the sibelius support team. You paid for that, use it :)

Lilypond is a command line program. I bet it is installed. Type

Code: Select all

lilypond --version
into a terminal. It should display 2.16.2 or so.

For more information read the Lilypond beginners tutorial:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documenta ... ning/index
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

stanellison wrote:Hi, I'm fairly new to Linux and been running it for three or four months. I've just got a version of Sibelius running on Linux. I'm using Mint 13 KDE and version 4 of Sibelius. I can get sound output but only by starting Jack and then Qsynth before starting Sibelius. Is there any other way of getting sound without having to start the other programs first?
Possibly. You'd need to start a synth under plain ALSA and connect it in the Sibelius connections dialog (assuming it has one for its audio/MIDI input/output). I have no idea how well that might perform, I'd go the JACK/Qsynth route. You can write a small script to launch the whole shebang, or perhaps you can use a session manager (I'm not sure how well any of them handle a Wine-based setup).

Nils is right about the potential for compromised performance/features but I can't fault anyone for trying to run apps in Wine or another emulator/VM. I still run a favorite DOS MIDI sequencer under an emulator. Check Google for similar use-case reports, ditto the Wine Applications database.
Another point is I installed Lillypond and my software manager says it is installed but I can't find it to run it. What has happened?
Maybe nothing. You're aware that LP is a text-based application, with no built-in GUI ? If you'd like one, take a look at Nils's Laborejo or Frescobaldi or Denemo for a LilyPond front-end.

Btw, if you'd like to see some sample LP-produced scores:

http://linux-sound.org/dlp-music-lilypond/

Good luck, Stan, and welcome to Linux. :)

Best,

dp
stanellison
Established Member

Post by stanellison »

Thanks for the prompt answers. I came across lilypond on a different distro. It came with the graphic interface so that is what I was expecting. I'll stick with Sibelius as it is. I was pleasantly surprised by Musescore but could only get versions which didn't have guitar tab. For stuff I want to do tab is a great shortcut. Thanks again.
maya11

Post by maya11 »

I dont know if this will work on this forum but you can do chord diagrams in a text file. This uses gedit and the ASCII characters I got from a windows PC using alt and the numberpad.
Unlike scam NS0-504 dump dumps and itil v3 dumps training program, our best CISCO and wiki pedia online training courses provide you quick success in first try of icnd 640-822.