favorite midi sequencer?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: favorite midi sequencer?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

harveysa801 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:28 am The 10 Best Sequencers for Any Studio Budget
Digitakt.
MPC X.
Arturia Keystep.
Polyend SEQ.
MPC One.
Arturia Beatstep Pro.
Elektron Octatrack MKII.
Squarp Pyramid MkIII Sequencer.

Step sequencing is a MIDI-based tool that divides a measure of music into a pre-determined number of note values called “steps.” Each step laid out in the software can then trigger notes and other MIDI information you supply it. Like most software we used today, step sequencers were originally hardware units.
And now there's Behringer's "version" of the Arturia Keystep: the Swing (at € 90 afaik the cheapest hardware option nowadays). :)
Natelok
Established Member

Re: favorite midi sequencer?

Post by Natelok »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:38 am
harveysa801 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:28 am

The 10 Best Sequencers for Any Studio Budget
Digitakt.
MPC X.
Arturia Keystep.
Polyend SEQ.
MPC One.
Arturia Beatstep Pro.
Elektron Octatrack MKII.
Squarp Pyramid MkIII Sequencer.

Step sequencing is a MIDI-based tool that divides a measure of music into a pre-determined number of note values called “steps.” Each step laid out in the software can then trigger notes and other MIDI information you supply it. Like most software we used today, step sequencers were originally hardware units.

And now there's Behringer's "version" of the Arturia Keystep: the Swing (at € 90 afaik the cheapest hardware option nowadays). :)

Yeah, I use Mixbus and an Arturia BSP for most of my midi sequencing, but I play keys, so I generally track midi as though it's live. I had some issues getting it to clock sync, but once I worked that out, it works really well for writing the midi.

My workflow is essentially that I write on the bsp and then sync it to the DAW to generate the midi data.

I also use BStep and Boops a fair bit, when I'm in the mood.

I'm very interested in have a go of that Behringer KSP (KS?) copy though. I've been trying to save up for a KSP for live/improvised jams but I keep getting most of the way to the $600 odd AUD I need and then buying another bloody guitar instead!

Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work