Notation editor and file format for driving a Sequencerm MIDI PC, CC

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jwhitmore
Established Member

Notation editor and file format for driving a Sequencerm MIDI PC, CC

Post by jwhitmore »

Hello all, I'm not sure of the correct subject line but hopefully it's close enough.

I'm looking for a Linux based sequencer, which I might have to write, that will take a file format of notated music and play the file.

The issue I have is that I'm trying to drive a number of MIDI devices in Parallel. So I might want to be able to notate music notes to one synth, but another synth is running programmed sequences and I want to send program change and control change messages to it,

Standard music notation probably won't do this? But is there anything more modern which is capable of this kind of notation? I started looking at Lilypond and it has a nice text based notation and file format, but not sure i can notate that I want this MIDI Program Change message on the Forth bar.

Ultimately I want to be able to feed this file to a sequencer which will take the file and send out the MIDI messages to the various Synths connected. This might already exist, both the notation, the file editor and the sequencer but haven't found the complete system as yet.

Thanks for any advice.
jwhitmore
Established Member

Re: Notation editor and file format for driving a Sequencerm MIDI PC, CC

Post by jwhitmore »

Cups of tea and thought later and I've kind of decided that lilypond is perfect for what I'm looking for. Since I'm talking about writing the sequencer for this I can interpret the lilypond text file however I like. So for an instrument line I can interpret middle C as being a certain MIDI Program Change/ Control change sequence.

That might become an Issue if I have a synth which I want to send both the musical notes and a PC/CC combination to change the sample / instrument being played. More tea required
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Musescore can send out various midi messages but takes a bit of work to get it set up (see the docs). It can also export MIDI which you can put into any sequencer you like (Qtractory, Ardour, Muse, etc.)
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »