In praise of FOSS developers (Linux is a bonus :) )

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pablo
Established Member

In praise of FOSS developers (Linux is a bonus :) )

Post by Pablo »

Being free (gratis) is not the only reason why I prefer free sotware. Even as a plain user.

Learning from one each other is the way for a better world, imho. Money or no money. That's why just using their work and trying to understand their motivations and goodness seems to me as a first step in the right direction.

This summer, at long last, I will be using my netbook with ubuntu-self-prepared-studio-9.04, with jack, ardour, guitarix, rakarrack, qsynth, qjackctl, patchage, vmpk... and very basic gear to record summertime songs with my family.

Thank you very much.
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: In praise of FOSS developers (Linux is a bonus :) )

Post by Scary Hallo »

Pablo wrote: This summer, at long last, I will be using my netbook with ubuntu-self-prepared-studio-9.04, with jack, ardour, guitarix, rakarrack, qsynth, qjackctl, patchage, vmpk... and very basic gear to record summertime songs with my family.
That sounds like very much fun. Maybe I'll do the same with my friends.
:D
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I'll be doing something very similar!
This year my wife wants to take an extra-long vacation, so I'll be getting a simple MIDI controller (100 euros) and bringing along my PC to use (and learn to use!) as much of the FOSS applications out there! There's so much that's being created in the world of digital audio, it's incredible! And what's best, as with anything Unix-like, we can all contribute! It's really neat and exciting!

..AND, all of you here at linuxmusicians have really been a blessing! I hope to be able to give back in the future, as I learn the ropes..!

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

I know this is an old message, but I too would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
All you Linux developers and maintainers and repairers and updaters... you make my life so much better!