Linus Tech Tips Does Linux

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TygerTung
Established Member

Re: Linus Tech Tips Does Linux

Post by TygerTung »

I've been experimenting with Windows Me on some vintage hardware, just for fun. THAT is one system which is extremely easy to break. For a while I was having to reinstall every day but have gotten it a little more stable with more experience and a less worn out hard drive.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Largos wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:32 pm If you can build computers, you are a not a "double click sort of guy".
I don't know that that necessarily follows. I have built three Windows boxes for gaming (for friends) and I wouldn't say it's that hard. I built one last month that had RGB, water cooler, the lot. This has nothing to do with software. Lighting up a PC with RGB and overclocking it with liquid nitrogen are not a lot to do with software.

Shameful to admit, but of course this implies I've installed Windows more than once. A walk in the park, if you do it the Microsoft way. And my general guiding principle is that it's the Microsoft way or the highway.
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:20 am Every time Microsoft comes with an update you get these sort of video's because people fear change. Win 11 can't be so different from Win 10 that you need to switch to something other than Windows. And if you can't update from Win 10: it'll be supported 'til 2025.

These sort of "new users" disappear as quickly as they appear.
I see where you're coming from. It might have been an idea to watch the video for context. The context is that Linus Tech Tips is one of the bigger tech channels on Youtube. Two of them, Linus and Luke, ran Linux for a month and compared notes. Luke is now using Linux for his work computer, while gaming on Windows. A fifty percent conversion rate isn't bad. Linus's attention span predisposes him to Windows. :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

merlyn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:20 am Every time Microsoft comes with an update you get these sort of video's because people fear change. Win 11 can't be so different from Win 10 that you need to switch to something other than Windows. And if you can't update from Win 10: it'll be supported 'til 2025.

I see where you're coming from. It might have been an idea to watch the video for context. The context is that Linus Tech Tips is one of the bigger tech channels on Youtube. Two of them, Linus and Luke, ran Linux for a month and compared notes. Luke is now using Linux for his work computer, while gaming on Windows. A fifty percent conversion rate isn't bad. Linus's attention span predisposes him to Windows. :)
I'd expect a tech guy (like the guy from Linux Tech Tips) to stay on an alternative platform sooner than the average Windows ranter. That last one'll be back on his knees pretty soon. Not because Linux still has the steep learning curve it had back in the day but because it takes a strong interest in something alternative to go against mainstream.

I'm interested in computers and operating systems and I'm reasonably tech savvy (compared to most people, if I say so myself). So I stuck to Linux 15 years ago. However, I never stick to something that most other people don't use. Not interested, not worth my time or energy, dunno why exactly. Change is hard and scary. Even changing to something better. So I've come to terms with the fact that most people won't stay at Linux and I don't blame them. And I don't wast my time on 'm.

Come to think of it: the main reason that I switched to Linux is to get rid of questions from Windows users. I used to work on a (Windows) Helpdesk and every Tom, Dick and Harry called me at home too at night asking completely stupid un-challenging questions about how to change their password or something. And it was very hard to make clear that I'm not interested in that sort of stuff. They got offended sometimes: some thought I'd be interested in their challenging problem. When I told 'm I don't know Windows because I use Linux they went away because they don't know what that is.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:43 pm
merlyn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 pm

I'd expect a tech guy (like the guy from Linux Tech Tips) to stay on an alternative platform sooner than the average Windows ranter. That last one'll be back on his knees pretty soon. Not because Linux still has the steep learning curve it had back in the day but because it takes a strong interest in something alternative to go against mainstream.

I'm interested in computers and operating systems and I'm reasonably tech savvy (compared to most people, if I say so myself). So I stuck to Linux 15 years ago. However, I never stick to something that most other people don't use. Not interested, not worth my time or energy, dunno why exactly. Change is hard and scary. Even changing to something better. So I've come to terms with the fact that most people won't stay at Linux and I don't blame them. And I don't wast my time on 'm.

Come to think of it: the main reason that I switched to Linux is to get rid of questions from Windows users. I used to work on a (Windows) Helpdesk and every Tom, Dick and Harry called me at home too at night asking completely stupid un-challenging questions about how to change their password or something. And it was very hard to make clear that I'm not interested in that sort of stuff. They got offended sometimes: some thought I'd be interested in their challenging problem. When I told 'm I don't know Windows because I use Linux they went away because they don't know what that is.
Lol, the help desk part I do recognize somewhat, Nine out of ten 10 times, I am trying to help somebody on Windows.

The thing I learned to counter ask, when people ask me how hard it is to install Linux?
Do you know how to install windows yourself?
I am guessing that at least 70% on the windows users do not know how to install windows themself.

Years ago there was a computer magazine I frequently bought. It had a dvd? with suse 9 or something like that, I am sure though it was not yet openSUSE.

In the magazine was explained how to install suse step by step, also how to dual boot with window.

Since then I started to use Linux more and more and windows less.
To the point were I am now were Linux is my main os, and windows is only there for some games.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I just watched the latest LTT vid about the Linux challenge.

The Linux fan in me is tempted to protest, but I think they nailed it, from a gamers perspective.

Luke is gonna to stay on Linux for his laptop. I count that as a win. :P

Both Linus and Luke admit some things are easier on Linux, but for gaming there is some work to do still.

The only thing I do not fully agree too. is that Linus kinda implies that gaming on windows is as easy as install a game and off your go.
My experience is a bit different.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Gps wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm The thing I learned to counter ask, when people ask me how hard it is to install Linux?
Do you know how to install windows yourself?
That a brilliant question, LOL! :mrgreen:
Gps wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm I am guessing that at least 70% on the windows users do not know how to install windows themself.
I think it's closer to 99.9%. Win and Apple Computers don't come with an installation CD (or USB stick for that matter) anymore: the OS is already on there.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Unless you build your own hardware it's unlikely one would have ever installed Windows. Mac is even less likely. It comes preloaded because no one knows how to do it and the process is not simple and rather time consuming.

Linux is much easier and faster to install than windows. I've never done an install on Mac.

People forget the time they spent learning to do things in windows. It takes time to learn too. We are not born knowing how use windows and Linux is some foreign second language that is difficult. If you learn on Linux first Windows will seem difficult.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I think your right, and I do build my pc's myself.

Learned this with a Packard Bell.

It stopped working right, so I contacted support.

The guy made me change a dip switch, and then my pc did boom. Something on the motherboard went pop.
Before this, I was already expecting the mobo to be the issue, but now I was sure it was broken. ( thank you support? )

They could not just send me a new mobo, I could send the pc in though, but for a price already above a new motherboard.

I then bought an new motherboard in a local computer store, together with a faster cpu.

Then learned something about oem cd and windows lisences. The windows Me from the packard bell cd did install, but also crashed a lot.
Pirated windows xp to the rescue.

We learn from problems. :)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

With the fourth video now being available that's the end of the experiment. Sadly the outcome was a resounding 'Nay!'.

It wasn't a level playing field. Linus has a Windows box that he installs Linux on. If a person wants to build a Linux box it's wise to use components that are known to work. I would use an AMD graphics card myself. And I wouldn't use the very latest hardware, as with Linux it takes a while -- I would say over a year -- for new CPUs to work well.

I don't see the issues identified in Linus's videos necessarily as issues.
  • "I don't want fifteen ways to do something ... I just want one fast way"
I would think out of the fifteen ways, users can find their preferred way.
  • "a gaming focused product"
Personally I don't like neo-liberal consumer capitalist language applied to everything. This shows the mindset of potential users.
  • Using sudo can bork the machine
What a surprise, call the papers.
  • Elgato key lights don't work, mouse DPI, RGB and Go XLR soundcard also don't work
If there is a specific piece of hardware a user relies on that doesn't work with Linux then Linux is not an option. Forget proprietary control panels.
  • Github is for developers, therefore Linux is for developers
A lot of non-developers use Github, e.g. for game configs.
  • The Toxic Gatekeeper
This seems to have been a bit of problem for Linus. From the outside Linux may seem elitist. The Arch Linux forum may seem harsh to an outsider, but from the inside I think it's fair enough. By having high standards the Arch Linux forum becomes a resource for users in the future who have the same problems.

If we think on the Toxic Gatekeeper as a bouncer at a nightclub, this bouncer is giving Linus a hard time about getting in. Linus is mortally offended because, well, he's the famous Linus Sebastian. What the bouncer is actually saying is "You're not going to like it in here." "Yes I will," replies Linus, "let me in." "Honestly, you're not." replies the bouncer. "Save your money and time and don't come in." Linus stamps his petulant foot . "OK," sighs the bouncer, "come in then".

Linus then leaves after five minutes. "I don't want to say I told you so ... " says the bouncer on Linus's way out.