Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux? [Solved: probably not]

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux? [Solved: probably not]

Post by Basslint »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJF3nwFJ3sc

If I understood it correctly, the person speaking in this video (and many other videos on that channel) is Bobby Owsinski, a famous record producer and sound engineer who's worked on records by famous artists such as Frank Zappa, the Who and the Byrds and wrote very popular books about production, mixing and mastering (his Handbook series).

The user in the video appears to be using Lubuntu. The description links to Owsinski's website and the voice sounds definitely like his (sample).

If my guesses are correct, this would be huge news for all of us, even if personal use does not necessarily imply professional use. Indeed, in other videos such as this he appears to be using Pro Tools on Mac OS for music work.

Still, if GNU/Linux* is good enough for one of the very best audio professionals in the world, even for just some purposes, it's good enough for everybody :D

* = And FLOSS, since in the video above he's showing at least one libre LV2 plugin
Last edited by Basslint on Tue May 25, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
lilith
Established Member

Re: Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux?

Post by lilith »

I don't think that any "professional" is using Linux as you have to make too many compromises.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

lilith wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:30 am I don't think that any "professional" is using Linux as you have to make too many compromises.
Well, I just showed you a video of it, haven't I? :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I don't know Owsinski at all, there is some context I am perhaps missing. It seems to me that the bit showing Linux refer to the description of a podcast setup. Interesting for sure, would be cool to know more.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I reached out to Bobby and he said he doesn't use Linux at all. He didn't offer an explanation for the video though.

His podcast is very good depending on your interest in whoever the guest is--worth checking out.
listenable at c6a7.org
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

ufug wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:51 pm I reached out to Bobby and he said he doesn't use Linux at all. He didn't offer an explanation for the video though.

His podcast is very good depending on your interest in whoever the guest is--worth checking out.
Well, case closed :lol: Thank you. I second the recommendation!

Still, it'd be nice if someone well-known in pro audio circles used GNU/Linux. Maybe after PipeWire is finished? :D

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Basslint wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:13 am Still, it'd be nice if someone well-known in pro audio circles used GNU/Linux. Maybe after PipeWire is finished? :D
One of us should get famous with linux-made music!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

tavasti wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:26 am One of us should get famous with linux-made music!
Well, I think reputation is more important then fame - as fame can be blind to real skills - but I share your wish for someone to be renowned outside our little circle! :D

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:26 am
Basslint wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:13 am Still, it'd be nice if someone well-known in pro audio circles used GNU/Linux. Maybe after PipeWire is finished? :D
One of us should get famous with linux-made music!
Haha!

I think getting 'famous' (well in any sort of sustained beyond 15 minutes sense of the word) is pretty much impossible these days no matter what platform you use... Linux is certainly not going to help sad to say.

Off Topic Rant:

My GF and I watched 4 documentaries over the past 2 weekends 'Muscle Shoals', 'The Wrecking Crew' 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown' and 'Sound City'... The magic, happy accidents, improbable relationships and many of the electrifying things that happened when groups of humans (often groups of humans that would never have anything to do with each other aside from music) congregated together in recording studios is such a HUGE part of the story to how some artists rose through great adversity to fame... Maybe it was deserved, maybe it wasn't but the process had some human stank on it and that made it appeal to other humans..

Now we sit alone (now more than ever) hunched over our laptops like rats eating in a sink using our perfect software that fixes everything and seemingly touches nobody...
TAERSH
Established Member

Re: Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux? [Solved: probably not]

Post by TAERSH »

Now we sit alone (now more than ever) hunched over our laptops like rats eating in a sink using our perfect software that fixes everything and seemingly touches nobody...
That's exactly how they want us.

Bound and gagged poor users at solitary confinement in the digital Panopticon!
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 pm
That's exactly how they want us.
For me situation now is fine. Instead of tyrany lead extroverts, I am free to stay at beautiful countryside, no need to go some place where is too much people. And co-operating with people who match my mindset, regardless on what corner of the globe they are.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I also like being alone, staying away from all those loud extroverts and working by myself on whatever comes in mind. In fact: nothing really has changed in my life caused by the pandemic situation, except being a live musician. I played live a lot, in different musical styles and I did also solo concerts as a drummer, as well as working as a drum teacher. So, by know I just don't know why in the hell I should keep playing drums, if I can't play live for an audience.

There's no problem with me being alone, as long as I can choose when to be alone. I don't want to be forced in any manner, I don't accept authorities and I will never give up being what I am, unless someone holds a gun onto my head. But, who knows: maybe I prefer to die then.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I want to clarify my part of the comments was not about some societal construct being forced on us.. It also was not in support of the tyranny of the 'music business'... I was pointing out the when musicians collaborated and were allowed to be just musicians and focus on doing that one thing (not be the producer, engineer, mastering guy, label head, public relations person... etc. etc.) we ended up with some incredible music that has had some staying power and reached a wider audience over a much longer time.. that's it! Better or worse I don't know... There's is something about the hermetic DIY way we make music now that just doesn't seem to be the answer either..
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I really like all that stuff that makes us able to compose and record music nowadays, so we can do it and listen to it at home whenever and whatever we want. It was much harder in e.g. 1990's when I was using an Atari ST plus Yamaha MT100 4-track recorder. But from my experience the musical result is almost always better, if people working together. I recall some of my bands: when I came along with a composition of mine it evolved during the time when we learnt to play such composition. And it was the same with all compositions other members of the band came along with.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

TAERSH wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 pm I really like all that stuff that makes us able to compose and record music nowadays, so we can do it and listen to it at home whenever and whatever we want. It was much harder in e.g. 1990's when I was using an Atari ST plus Yamaha MT100 4-track recorder. But from my experience the musical result is almost always better, if people working together. I recall some of my bands: when I came along with a composition of mine it evolved during the time when we learnt to play such composition. And it was the same with all compositions other members of the band came along with.
I understand that and I agree with you that most songs certainly benefit and are made much better from collaboration with others.. It's certainly not that I don't like the ability to record at home, obviously I've spent more than a decade of my life trying to make it easier for people to do that including myself BUT... As much as I love working with other artists who come to my studio to record I am getting very weary of having to wear all the hats to do my own productions. I'm starting to really hate sitting down on the drum stool or picking up my guitar and have to think about 15 other non-musical things going on before I play a note.. for me it's really starting to kill my creativity and enthusiasm for making music. Sure part of it is Covid-19 and not easily being able to mix with other people or get out in the world and play gigs to an audience I'm sure all of us miss that of course.. But it's also just seems more and more unnatural to create music alone. Just my opinion for today... lol, who cares!? :roll: