Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux? [Solved: probably not]

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Does Bobby Owsinski use GNU/Linux? [Solved: probably not]

Post by tavasti »

GMaq wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:35 pm I was pointing out the when musicians collaborated and were allowed to be just musicians and focus on doing that one thing (not be the producer, engineer, mastering guy, label head, public relations person... etc. etc.) we ended up with some incredible music that has had some staying power and reached a wider audience over a much longer time.. that's it!
Sure it is nice to have number of different professionals working with same music, but I think state where we are now is much better: no need to beg acceptance from recording company, you can make 100% professional sounding music with minimal costs. Nearly everybody in the western world has access to needed resources to make great music, and for me it really shows up. Sure, big deal of music is crap to my taste, but so has been lot of even published stuff forever. And for my taste, sounds of recordings made before 1978 (or something like that) are too myddy, and don't want to listen them.
TAERSH wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 pm I really like all that stuff that makes us able to compose and record music nowadays, so we can do it and listen to it at home whenever and whatever we want. It was much harder in e.g. 1990's when I was using an Atari ST plus Yamaha MT100 4-track recorder. But from my experience the musical result is almost always better, if people working together.
No problem believing this. However, from my personal perspective: if there would not be todays technological possibilities, I would not had made any music to date. Too much other things to do in life, too crowded in calendar, too long distances to meet other people. Without accessible tech and software, I just have had dropped whole thing to even start learning making music.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Yes, today's possibilities are really great. I'm sure I wouldn't have composed e.g. The Space Traveller without these options, just by using a multi-track tape recording machine plus hardware synthesizers. Also composing/recording is much faster (at least when using MIDI). I'm not really that good in playing on the keyboard/synthesizer, it would take weeks or even months to make me playing some keyboard parts without mistakes. By these technological possibilities and current amount of free time I was able to compose 2 hours 13 minutes of music in 2020 and 1 hour 58 minutes already in 2021.

And I'm still composing... :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:47 am And for my taste, sounds of recordings made before 1978 (or something like that) are too myddy, and don't want to listen them.
And for my taste that's about the time things all went to shit and started sounding plastic... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny world isn't it? Full of all kinds and it's great that it is! :)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

tavasti wrote:And for my taste, sounds of recordings made before 1978 (or something like that) are too myddy, and don't want to listen them.
That's a shocker. You mean all those Motown records are unlistenable to you? Are you sure you like music? :lol:
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

merlyn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:20 pm
tavasti wrote:And for my taste, sounds of recordings made before 1978 (or something like that) are too myddy, and don't want to listen them.
That's a shocker. You mean all those Motown records are unlistenable to you? Are you sure you like music? :lol:
Motown stuff is something that I don't want to listen, even if that would have sounds that are ok for me :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM